Meghan's Fashion, jewelry and accessories

Started by TLLK, May 25, 2017, 11:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Meghan Markle's Sloane Ranger make-over | Daily Mail Online

*** Consider the source when reading the article.  <_< :Jen:

Duch_Luver_4ever

There will only be one "Sloane Ranger".....while I hear some of that style is coming back, and she might be trying to subconsciously highlight golden days of yore of Harry's mother, I dont know if Sloans would have worn a toque, more hoser than sloane IMO.

But aside from that she looks presentable, and if Harry's happy, what does it matter.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

?? There were hundreds of Slaone Rangers... but I suppose  it has gone out nowadays, those girls who were upper crust and did odd jobs.  Now they are more likely to have a business or a "real job" even if they are not exactly workers

Duch_Luver_4ever

You know what I mean, her face was on the handbook for goodness sake  :lol: yes, I think both the idea of idle women waiting to marry doing silly jobs has gone the way of coming our parties, etc.

Besides most of what would be the current crop of English Sloanes have been priced out of the area.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

I dont realy think it has, just there are more young upper class women playng at careers thatn in the 70s.  And As Meghan IS a career girl and American I don't know waht you mean.

Curryong

^ I think the DM gets sillier by the minute. That article, unless it's hinting that Meghan is making money by wearing (publicising) British clothing and footwear, which I wouldn't put pass the Daily Fail, certainly cherry picked its  photos to illustrate its point (if it has one). The thing is though, which they forgot to mention, is that Meghan has been photographed many times wearing Italian boots, US dresses, Canadian skirts and sweaters, British jackets. Also, all the brands they've shown her wearing are on sale in Canadian stores.

HsHCharlene

I think Meghan is very pretentious and is dressing and behaving like a caricature of what she thinks is British. It comes off as desperate and not many people are buying it.

Quote from: amabel on May 27, 2017, 06:55:12 AM
I dont realy think it has, just there are more young upper class women playng at careers thatn in the 70s.  And As Meghan IS a career girl and American I don't know waht you mean.

I don't see the career girl part. She works because she has to, not because she wants to. Ever since getting with Harry, she has dropped everything that once made her 'career minded'. She even drops filming her main job just to go to London to Harry. She is ambitious alright but not for work. She is searching for praise and validation.

Curryong

Well, if Meghan works because she has to, she has that in common with about 98% of the human race, doesn't she? Meghan has also got a regular part in a TV series that has been going for seven seasons, not bad in a profession where the vast majority of actors are involuntarily unemployed for most of the time.

I've seen many non British people wear Barbour. It's sold all over the world. And as I've said, they really had to cherry pick those photos in the DM.
She's dropped The Tig which is a pointer in my view to her getting engaged shortly. She probably consulted Harry about it. How many royals do you know that have an active website on food, restaurants, clothing etc? As for dropping everything for Harry she has had about three days off filming since November. Most of her short trips to London have encompassed weekends, and Frdays and/or Mondays, including Victoria Day which was a public holiday in Canada. And Harry has visited her as well.

HsHCharlene

If 98% of the world works just as Meghan does, why make it out as if it's so novel and special? It's normal so it shouldn't be a big deal. Her dropping everything for an engagement is what everyone has been on Kate for over the years but now it's laudable because of Meghan?

In my opinion, there is no wedding coming soon since they only recently started dating seriously. I think we as the public always allow the press to get us into a frenzy over these things. The same headlines were said of Will, Kate, Chelsy, and Cressida. Look at all the recent weddings of this generation of royals, every one of them had dated for over 6 years before marriage. Eugenie is the most likely to be next for royal marriages. HM and PoW will not okay this because it is simply too soon. I think she dropped the site because she is working on changing her image from beauty blogger to potential princess. She's hoping on an engagement, that doesn't mean it's coming. This happens to many a woman around the world, not just her. Many women hope to marry the man they are dating but it doesn't always work out that way.

I think a calm and rational approach should be taken with regards to this relationship because there is just so much in the way at this point. She hasn't proved herself yet. Whether we like Camilla or Kate or not, they have proved to be long term consistent partners. Meghan has not spent more than one week consistently with Harry. Let them get to know the real version of each other before pressuring to fulfill some sort of public fantasy. As we have seen in Charles' first marriage, fairy tales can turn into nightmares if people don't know what they're getting themselves into.

amabel

Quote from: HsHCharlene on May 27, 2017, 04:08:14 PM
If 98% of the world works just as Meghan does, why make it out as if it's so novel and special? It's normal so it shouldn't be a big deal. Her dropping everything for an engagement is what everyone has been on Kate for over the years but now it's laudable because of Meghan?

In my opinion, there is no wedding coming soon since they only recently started dating seriously. I think we as the public always allow the press to get us into a frenzy over these things. The same headlines were said of Will, Kate, Chelsy, and Cressida. Look at all the recent weddings of this generation of royals, every one of them had dated for over 6 years before marriage. Eugenie is the most likely to be next for royal marriages. HM and PoW will not okay this because it is simply too soon. I think she dropped the site because she is working on changing her image from beauty blogger to potential princess. She's hoping on an engagement, that doesn't mean it's coming. This happens to many a woman around the world, not just her. Many women hope to marry the man they are dating but it doesn't always work out that way.

I
It IS novel for a woman who is in the royal world to be "one of the world's workers.  generally such women are socialites who may or may not have steady jobs.. or who may flit round from job to job or charity event to charity event.  Kate didn't have steady work, she wanted to remain free to keep up with William.  Camilla is of a generation where debs didn't usually have jobs.  Diana had part time jobs. So Meg's being someone who has had a steady employment in the world of film acting is unusual.  OTOH I gather her family aren't that well off so she DID have to earn her living.. she's been lucky and probably has worked hard at her acting career, though whether she's actually any good, I can't say.
I agree that it is problably way too soon for the PTB to allow an engagement.  Even if its not realisitc for them to date for 5 or 6 years, since Meg is already in her 30s and getting on a bit for having children..Im sure the RF will insist that they try their relationship out for longer than a long distance one that 's not even a year in existence.  They may suggest that Meg moves to the UK...

sandy

I think the engagement will happen when both decide it is time and they are ready to commit.  TPTB can't dictate to the couple when to marry, there are various circumstances. If they don't want to marry and break up they will split up. William as I recall called the shots as to when he and Kate would marry. He publicly said he was not ready to marry when all the press talked of their marrying after they completed their degrees.

amabel

well yes they kid of can since he has to get his Grandmother's permission, to marry.

sandy

They will get it IMO. Since the Queen has three divorced children, two of whom remarried.

amabel

I'm sure she does not enjoy that fact, and is not going to be too happy if her grandson is wanting to marry a woman who's already divorced.  She will probably give permission but she does nto have to do so.

sandy

The Queen will know enough not to be a hypocrite. After admitting the controversial and divorced Camilla into the family. Charles also was divorced as was Princess Anne and they got permission to marry other people. So if she is "unhappy" that her grandson wants to marry a divorcee, did she feel 'unhappy" about Camilla being in? After all, Charles is the heir to the throne.

amabel

Sandy, she may give permission, because she wants Harry to be happy.  however, she is most likely concerned  if he wants to marry a career minded young woman form another culture, who is also a divorcee.  She wasn't entirely happy with Camilla joining the RF because of her previous affair with Charles, but their relationship had lasted for 40 years, Camilla is an upper class british woman who has been part of court cirlcles all her life and knows the RF lifestyle, so it was a lot easier for her to fit in

sandy

Meghan would certainly give up her career if she married into the family. If she does not want to she is free to mover on. Camilla and Charles did not have a '40 year relationship' she had a relationship with her first husband since 1966 they were married from 1973-1995. Charles was her lover not her husband for some of that time but officially she was the wife of Andrew Parker Bowles. I don't get why it is made to sound she was married to Charles. CHarles also had a wife from 1981-1996. It eludes me how it is determined the relationship "lasted" 40 years. It didn't. She was married to someone else, then Charles was married to another person. She was his mistress which is not like she was married to him. It was not "easy" for Camilla to fit in since she was not Charles' wife but the other woman and it took years after Diana and Charles divorce for her to marry into the family. It was not that she was instantly welcomed. Charles' grandmother for one thing did not want them to marry. Obviously Camilla did not "know" the rules since she needed a mentor and training for several years. As a mistress she did not have to do any royal work.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on June 08, 2017, 08:42:37 PM
They will get it IMO. Since the Queen has three divorced children, two of whom remarried.
I agree with @sandy. Yes the Queen and DoE have two adult children who are divorced and remarried so the BRF has already faced that hurdle during her reign. They're not that different than the rest of the UK with about half of the marriages ending in divorce. IMO one thing that is in Meghan's favor is that her marriage seems to have ended amicably and it doesn't involve any children.

Now one thing that they'd likely hope for is that the couple would have enough time to get to know each other before Meghan takes on a very new way of living. The more recent BRF marriages have been between couples who have know each other many years before marrying, so perhaps they're hoping that they couple might wait a bit before announcing an engagement.

Trudie

Quote from: amabel on June 09, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
Sandy, she may give permission, because she wants Harry to be happy.  however, she is most likely concerned  if he wants to marry a career minded young woman form another culture, who is also a divorcee.  She wasn't entirely happy with Camilla joining the RF because of her previous affair with Charles, but their relationship had lasted for 40 years, Camilla is an upper class British woman who has been part of court circles all her life and knows the RF lifestyle, so it was a lot easier for her to fit in

Amabel are you sure you didn't mean that Charles and Camilla's relationship was purely sexual until they both divorced their spouses? If they had been in love for 40 years they would have married back in the early seventies. Camilla wasn't in court circles until she met both APB and Charles. Lets be real here Camilla's family were not the uppercrust that the Spencer family is and Diana was the epitome of upper class British women and it was difficult for her to fit in. The bottom line is unless you were born royal you will never really fit in so regarding Harry and Meghan like William and Kate they will do things on their terms and not be dictated to.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on June 10, 2017, 12:02:31 AM
Quote from: sandy on June 08, 2017, 08:42:37 PM
I agree with @sandy. Yes the Queen and DoE have two adult children who are divorced and remarried so the BRF has already faced that hurdle during her reign. They're not that different than the rest of the UK with about half of the marriages ending in divorce. IMO one thing that is in Meghan's favor is that her marriage seems to have ended amicably and it doesn't involve any children.

Now
it is true that the queen's children have had experience of divorce, but IMO that does not mean that the queen is very happy with it.  She has had to accept it, that marriages do end, sadly and that in today's world it is so common that it was bound to touch the RF at some point.  but I think she's been very sensitive to the accusation that her children have a VERY high rate of divorce, ie 3 out of the 4 have had broken marriages and 2 have remarried. And she's a conservaitive Christian- much more old fashioned than many of her citizens.  So I think that she's now been willing to agree to her grandchildren having long term live in relationships with people they want to marry, though she problably doesn't really approve of thtat either, but feels it is better than another divorce in the family close to the throne. 
If Harry were one of Andrew's children, and wanted to amrry an American divorced woman, she'd problaby feel that that was further away from the throne.. but she would still be anxious that the marriage should LAST.  She had to accept Anne and Chalres remarrying, because in both cases they had been involved with Tim Laurence and Camilla, it had become a publicly known affair and generally speaking it was "good form" if such an affair became public for the couple ot marry.   so once she felt that the public would accept Camilla marrying Charles (no one cares much about Anne), she was willing to OK the marriage.  Perhaps she realised that the Diana and Charles marriage had just been a disastrous mistake and it would have been better if Charles and Camilla could have married back in 1980 or so... but at the time that seemed like something that simply wasn't acceptable.
So she might feel IF Meghan and Harry are in love, and compatible and have had time to get to know each other, and if Meg can fit intot the RF, it might be better to let him marry the girl he loves even if she has had a divorce. 
However, the problem is that Meghan IS American, from a different culture.  She has a career, which she may find hard to give up as actresses generaly "love to act".  and she and H haven't really been able to spend a lot of "ordinary time" together, because they live so far apart. 
So when you put it all together, a divorcee, American, not upper class, a career minded woman, who hasn't had a chance to live with H in an ordinary life scenario as other couples like Will and Kate have done  and so she may feel that it is a bit dubious how much they really know each other or how well she would fit in with the Royal lifestyle.

sandy

Not everybody has "accepted" Camilla but nonetheless, she will eventually be Queen Consort. I don't think the Queen is naive to believe "everybody" or "most" have "warmed to her." Camilla had two small children and a husband in 1980--and with the Queen Mum afraid of another crisis in the monarchy, it would have been extremely unlikely unless Charles gave up his position in line of succession.  I don't think the Queen would have thought of Charles marrying someone else. If he felt he did not love Diana and wanted to move on or Diana moved on, Charles would not have married Camilla but someone like Diana who would have been single and perhaps aristo. Americans do not have so "different cultures." She can give up her career and if she says yes to a possible proposal, a career would no longer be an option--except as a career as a working royal. Kate was not "upper class" she had an upper middle class upbringing. And she is married to heir to heir.

Ronald Reagan gave up his "acting career" to be a politician and gave up acting for good and became a President of the USA.  He probably loved to act too but he was able to give it up.

Trudie

Grace Kelly gave up an Oscar winning career to become Princess of Monaco. In her case there was more culture shock as she had to learn French and the European way of life. Princess Grace became beloved by they citizens of Monaco.

Blue Clover

My gut feeling is that this is not going to progress beyond the dating stage. I'm not sure why I feel this way but it just doesn't seem to be for the long haul. I really do want Harry to settle down and get married.

amabel

Quote from: Trudie on June 10, 2017, 05:31:12 PM
Grace Kelly gave up an Oscar winning career to become Princess of Monaco. In her case there was more culture shock as she had to learn French and the European way of life. Princess Grace became beloved by they citizens of Monaco.
Grace wasn't the world's greatest actress and she wanted to get out of Hollywood, but she did miss acting and wanted to go back to it.  and it took her quite a time to settle intio the European Lifestyle.

sara8150

The Meghan Effect: Meghan Markle?s $675 Handbag Sells Out Hours After She?s Spotted Wearing It
Meghan Markle?s Handbag Sells Out After She?s Spotted Wearing It | PEOPLE.com

Double post auto-merged: December 02, 2017, 11:25:51 PM

It's the Meghan effect! ?455 Scottish-designed handbag Prince Harry's fiancee carried on her first royal engagement is an instant sell-out
Meghan's Scottish handbag sells out after royal engagement | Daily Mail Online