Germany to become an Empire

Started by LouisFerdinand, March 31, 2017, 09:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

The last German Emperor, Kaiser Wilhelm II, abdicated in 1918 in the wake of the First World War.   
In 2012, Prince Philip Kiril of Prussia, Wilhelm II's great-great-grandson, made headlines by suggesting the restoration of the monarchy.     
Prince Philip Kiril, born 1968, is the son of Prince Friedrich Wilhelm (1939-2015).

amabel

And?  I think he'll be waiting a long time

LouisFerdinand

Shortly before Hitler actually was voted into office, the Crown Prince of Prussia, Wilhelm (Friedrich Wilhelm Victor August Ernst) was asked to run for office as well. His father, the exiled Emperor Wilhelm II told him not to do it.

Curryong

A couple of the ex Kaiser's sons showed some interest in the Nazi Party, especially in the early years, adopting the usual upperclass German view that the Party would be a bulwark against Communism and that Hitler might be amenable to giving the nobility their lands back and putting the Kaiser back on the throne. Those delusions didn't last very long.

The Kaiser did not like the Nazis, though it's difficult to gauge whether this was because the Party had risen from rowdy, working class beginnings and its leaders were not gentlemen or because of its policies. Perhaps both, though the ex Kaiser had anti Semitic views he shared with many Nazis and indeed many Germans of the time.

LouisFerdinand

According to this article: Should Germany bring back the royal family? - The Local   
The debacle over Christian Wulff's resignation prompted Prince Philip Kiril to argue this week that a monarchy would be good for the country of Germany.

LouisFerdinand

According to the article Prince: Germany should reinstate monarchy - The Local   
According to Prince Philip Kiril, Germany should reinstate its monarchy to speak to people's emotions, make them proud of their country. He said the lives of a royal family lend a country stability.

Curryong

Well then, Prince Philip Kiril will be doomed to disappointment. According to the article below just one sixth of Germans want their monarchy back. I would suggest it's the same for Italians in spite of the recent enthusiastic crowds turning out for Charles and Camilla.

Just one-sixth of Germans want own monarchy back - The Local

amabel

Yeah right the Kaisers family hardly covered Germany in glory..

Duch_Luver_4ever

Germany will likely sooner become a theocracy before it become a monarchy again. also its colonies are gone, so unless they're going to start marching again, days of empire seem to be firmly in its past, not the future....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on May 14, 2017, 02:07:12 AM
What is a theocracy?

A form of government in which a deity is all-important and priests or the clergy rule in his or her name.

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand - The Vatican is an example of a theocracy and the Pope is the head of state/government. The Islamic Republic of Iran is considered by many to be a theocracy because the Supreme Ayatollah is ultimate head of government/power.

LouisFerdinand

Some Germans claim that the German Empire still exists.   
The Return of... the Empire? - YouTube

Windsor

I can't see the German Monarchy ever being restored. If any Monarchy has any chance of being restored it probably would be Montenegro and possibly Romania.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Germany is more likely to become German-stan or the first European member of the caliphate(sp) than a monarchy, the demographics are already stacked against them, followed by Sweden, France and if Brexit takes too long, the UK.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

tiaras

I feel we've lost Germany thanks to Merkel's ridiculous policy. The self hate is strong and the passing around of German guilt to other European countries even ones that fought against the vitorolic ideology is a pity and I don't see any rectification any time soon.

Duch_Luver_4ever

tiaras

I've heard of Stefan. A new favorite writer of mine is Douglas Murray who is excellent on this issue. His new book The strange death of Europe is very fascinating and although I haven't read the  whole book it's quite good so far. Douglas Murray - The Strange Death of Europe [Delingpole] - YouTube