What do you guys make of this?

Started by johnmartins, July 09, 2014, 02:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmartins

Hello Royal Insight members. I have just signed up to this forum after reading some of the boards. I read an article about the royals in regards to Royal occasions and the money spent. After reading I had mixed feelings and wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

This is the article:

Do you agree or think the money is well spent?

Limabeany

The idea of a monarchy seems to go against all the values that we hold in society. The whole idea of modern society comes from John Locke's rejection of the divine right of kings. Today no one really claims that the royals have a divine right – but the ruling monarch is head of the church of England. In general we have rejected the idea of inherited power and privilege apart from the monarchy.

We go around the world espousing democratic values and imposing them on others, yet we cannot even follow them in our own country. Values like equality, freedom, accountability and transparency are not compatible with a head of state that is only there by 'birthright'. The idea of a monarchy is in direct competition with the idea that it is the people who are in charge through democracy.

Another fun fact about the monarchy. Did you know that parliament must ask the Queen's consent in order to debate any legislation that affects their private interests. Again, because of their exemption from freedom of information we have no idea how many times this had happened or how many times it's been rejected.

It is important to note also that the Crown (the monarch) is the supreme authority of the country, over that of the people. Our unwritten constitution, which embodies this authority, provides the royal family with extensive powers that cannot be challenged by our legal system.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

DaisyMeRollin

A dude on RIF? Is this some cosmic joke? About time you showed up. Maybe you can dish out a male perspective once in a while. It's really off-kilter here.

QuoteYou could be forgiven for thinking that everyone in the UK has unwavering support for the royal family, but recently there seems to be a trend towards indifference if not outright hatred. Apart from the extra public holidays do we really want a royal family?

I've been wondering this for a while. Is it just complacency that supports the status quo?

It would be redundant to quote what Lima did, but I do wonder how having a head of state connected to the Anglican Church will fare in an increasingly secular and heterogeneous society. Charles did rattle off whatever about the thought of being "Defender of the Faiths".

"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Windsor

Quote from: DaisyMeRollin on July 09, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
A dude on RIF? Is this some cosmic joke?

There are a few of us around...  :windsor1:

Limabeany

Orchid

Where's the article/source? I'd like to have a gander...

Welcome johnmartins!! 
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Limabeany

DaisyMeRollin

Not to worry. Found it.

A Royal Waste of Money - Enraged Citizen

Huh? I had no idea Windsor is a guy.  :doh:
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

cinrit

Don't forget Mike (who has been very quiet lately).

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

cate1949

I think financial arguments against monarchy are irrelevant and a waste of time.  Presidents cost money too.  And it is not as if the spectacles that contribute to British life are going to disappear either so those costs will remain.  Okay - no more weddings and Jubilees. 

I do think  we need to work harder to make our so called democratic governments more responsive to people and more efficient less prone to corruption and influence peddling.  But will eliminating monarchy accomplish that?  No.

So the rationale has to be about no longer believing that monarchy best represents the people (as head of state) nor that it promotes people's legit aspirations.  I think that is the only argument that would be persuasive.

Right now - people are so disenchanted with government that the monarchy looks good!