Anniversary of Diana's death

Started by Limabeany, August 31, 2014, 04:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

Trudie

:thumbsup: The fact that after 17 years that flowers are left at KP by people is a testament and tribute to the wonderful humanitarian and Princess who left a lasting impression on the people.

sara8150

17 years Diana been gone and never forgot that she died I'm sure her boys would kept private on his mom's passing..

TLLK

Noticed that one of the articles mentioned that Diana's wedding dress will be given to her sons on Harry's 30th birthday. I wonder if they plan to donate it to a royal collection?

Glad to see that flowers are still delivered for Diana.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 03, 2014, 05:52:02 AM
Noticed that one of the articles mentioned that Diana's wedding dress will be given to her sons on Harry's 30th birthday. I wonder if they plan to donate it to a royal collection?

I think there are a lot less flowers than there used to be.  I last went to KP a few yeaers back and there was a notable fall off. but what are the boys supposed to be doing with Dis' wedding dress??

Curryong

I think the wedding dress will be stored away for a while, but I'm sure at some stage it will be displayed at KP.

amabel

I think they'll look pretty weried wearing it!

Windsor

Quote from: Curryong on September 03, 2014, 04:06:55 PM
I think the wedding dress will be stored away for a while, but I'm sure at some stage it will be displayed at KP.

I highly doubt the dress will ever be displayed again, at least not in our lifetime.

sandy

I think it will be displayed again in our lifetimes. Tourists (and non-tourists) do like to see the historical wedding gowns. There are people also very much  interested in the history of fashion.

Double post auto-merged: September 04, 2014, 06:41:13 PM

Quote from: amabel on September 03, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
Quote from: TLLK on September 03, 2014, 05:52:02 AM

I think there are a lot less flowers than there used to be.  I last went to KP a few yeaers back and there was a notable fall off. but what are the boys supposed to be doing with Dis' wedding dress??

I think it impressive that flowers are still sent. Counting them to see if there are "less" IMO is immaterial. Not seeing the same numbers of flowers does not mean that they have forgotten Diana.

TLLK

^^^I agree with Sandy that it will be displayed at some point in time as part of a Royal Wedding display or a history of Kensington Palace residents etc...

cate1949

the dress has been constantly on display - perhaps not in the UK.  It recently was on display in the US.  I'm sure it will join the collection of other royal wedding dresses which was recently exhibited at KP.

They will now also get her jewel collection including the bandeau tiaras. Wonder ifw e will see Kate in more of Di's jewelry now?  I suspect not - not really Kate's style maybe the earrings or bracelets.

SophieChloe

I always hated that her wedding dress was paraded around.  It should have been kept here in the UK.  Money, eh?
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Trudie

I believe the dress will be displayed at some point at KP in another exhibition of Royal fashion. Without the dress there will be a noticeable gap in the history of royal fashion of the 80's. As for flowers well of course there will be less then the enormous displays of previous years but people have not forgotten Diana and the fact is people do take time to leave tributes 17 years after her death I have yet to see tributes left at Clarence House for the Queen Mother amabel so exactly what was your point with your post?

sandy

I would really like to see an exhibit of royal wedding gowns  at KP (Princess Elizabeth's, Princess Margaret's, the Duchess of Gloucester's (the nineteen thirties Duchess and her gown was actually pink), Princess Marina's gown, Princess Diana's and the Queen Mother's bridal gown. what a treat that would be.

Double post auto-merged: September 04, 2014, 11:18:49 PM

Quote from: SophieChloe on September 04, 2014, 08:43:09 PM
I always hated that her wedding dress was paraded around.  It should have been kept here in the UK.  Money, eh?

I saw the wedding gown in Philadelphia and I am happy it was exhibited. There was even a parasol made for it in case it rained that day. It was kept behind glass in the center of the exhibit and it was surrounded by a display of a selection of Diana's formal gowns.

SophieChloe

Totally agree, Sandy! 

Like it or loathe it - it's an iconic dress which deserves to be treated well instead of being carted around the world.

Double post auto-merged: September 04, 2014, 11:26:47 PM

Quote from: sandy on September 04, 2014, 11:16:30 PM
I would really like to see an exhibit of royal wedding gowns  at KP (Princess Elizabeth's, Princess Margaret's, the Duchess of Gloucester's (the nineteen thirties Duchess and her gown was actually pink), Princess Marina's gown, Princess Diana's and the Queen Mother's bridal gown. what a treat that would be.

I saw the wedding gown in Philadelphia and I am happy it was exhibited. There was even a parasol made for it in case it rained that day. It was kept behind glass in the center of the exhibit and it was surrounded by a display of a selection of Diana's formal gowns.
I'm happy you got to see it, Sandy x  And that it was kept behind glass - I'd hate to think of it being mauled by passersby.  However, I stil believe it should have been kept here in the UK. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Curryong

The Duchess of Gloucester started a fashion for very pale pink wedding gowns in the late 1930's. My aunt was married in one. I suppose if you were a bit sallow the shade was more flattering than pure white.

amabel

Quote from: cate1949 on September 04, 2014, 08:23:26 PM
the dress has been constantly on display - perhaps not in the UK.  It recently was on display in the US.  I'm sure it will join the collection of other royal wedding dresses which was recently exhibited at KP.

Yes Ive seen it on Display at Ken Palace. I can't see why it should not be displayed

Limabeany

Neither can i, I think it should be on display.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cate1949

I think as long as the dress was taken care of it was great to send it on tour.  It allowed hundreds of thousands of people in other countries to see it plus the display raised a lot of money for charity.  Not everyone can make it to KP for the exhibits there.  But it will be nice to see it included in the exhibit at KP now.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on September 04, 2014, 11:16:30 PM

I'd love to see Lady Sarah Chatto's , Fergie's, Lady Helen Taylor's, the gowns from the current Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent, Sophie's, etc...!!! The more the merrier IMO.

cate1949

I really liked the simple elegance of Sarah Chatto's wedding dress as well s her bridesmaids - very elegant and tasteful