Has Royalty Lost its Stardust?

Started by Hale, November 10, 2009, 12:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale

This is an article by Quentin Letts which I found interesting.  
The First Ladette
There is a small piece in the article which caught my eye about the two princes William & Harry:

QuoteWe cannot look to the young members of the Royal Family for much of an example. Having been told by Leftists that they should behave like a 'bicycling monarchy' and that they should be more like their subjects, Princes William and Harry go boozing at London nightclubs and seem happy to be photographed leaving in the early hours, eyes halfclosed, clothes crumpled.
Their friends say: 'Give the guys a break - these are young military officers having some R and R.' We are told this behaviour shows what well-adjusted, ordinary Joes they are.

But this climbing down into the gutter is a dangerous tactic, for the other residents of the gutter may very well soon say: 'If you are joining us down here, why should we regard you with any awe?'

The magic of monarchy may not last if this faux egalitarianism is pursued too long by Clarence House.
While the Princes set a crass example to other young men of their age, women no longer leave the hell-raising simply to the boys. They join in, trying to match their men mojito for mojito.

The above quote raises the questions:

How do we want our monarchy to behave?   Do we require the Royals to be a moral compass?    Do we want them to be more like us?    Has the Monarchy lost its Majesty?

Stix Chix

it's about modern royalty but the question of how normal they should be/shouldn't be has gone back centuries....even though past royals were hardly moral. ;)  which is probably why the family image presented by Queen Victoria's and George III's really appealed to people at the time.  but at the same time "Farmer George" was ridiculed for being too normal (and later too crazy) and Victoria put the monarchy in danger when she retreated (literally) into mourning for her husband....something that would otherwise have been expected of a wife.  both monarchs, though they themselves enjoyed family life, had children who spoiled the nation's image of a perfect family due to their wild actions.  so its always been a double edged sword.  and an image of unity and morality that ultimately can't last 24/7 because a monarchy is a family and no family is perfect.

How do we want our monarchy to behave?
royally? ;)  seriously though...the tradition is an awful like like the present:
figurehead the government but without actually being political...the later bit is the newest.
figurehead the Military (actual time in military service a HUGE bonus).  
act as a patron to various good causes.  
that last bit sounds new but royals have acted as patrons (to art, education, religion etc) since pretty much the start.

Do we require the Royals to be a moral compass?
as Governor of the Church it makes sense that at least the monarch and his or her immediate successors were.  other then that it'd be nice if none of them did anything to get thrown in jail over at least.

Do we want them to be more like us?
i think most would want them to act just like us...but better.  or maybe worthier is the right word?  but that brings up the whole double edged sword thing again.

Has the Monarchy lost its Majesty?
not really, no.  it's the world around it that's changed.

Harryite #0004

Wanderlust

This struck me as an interesting topic. Although I'm not sure about the moral compass question, since royals are celebrities and most celebrities end up seeming immoral in some way just because we know so much about them, it did make me think of one thing I wish the royals WERE: smart.

I have no doubt that the Queen is smart because she's given interviews, made speeches and the like. I feel like she has a handle on the world.

But as far as William and Harry and the other young royals - I'd love to read serious interviews with them in respectable publications where they give lengthy, articulate and intelligent answers about issues facing their country, their charities, the problems of the world etc....

Is it just me or do they seem to have a little bit of a problem with how they are advised as far as their PR?  :(

When I think about people I have a massive amount of respect for in the public eye, I respect them because they are not just charismatic but they at least seem highly informed and concerned enough about the world to study subjects in depth and at least read the newspaper.

For example, I know Prince Harry has a charity related to AIDS in Lesotho but what does he THINK? Is he up on the latest AIDS research? What breakthroughs is he supporting? I don't think it's too much to ask for him and other royals to be in the military or go to school AND be well-informed with all of the money and resources at their fingertips....

So I guess what I really mean to say is Royals - "Less Drinky, More Thinky!"  :D

:thumbsup: And that's my tangent.
"The lowest form of popular culture -- lack of information, misinformation, and a contempt for the truth or the reality of most people's lives -- has overrun real journalism."
Carl Bernstein, Watergate journalist

"Europe has a press that stresses opinions; America a press, radio, and television that emphasize news."
James Reston (Dutch-born American journalist)

"If you can't get a job as a pianist in a brothel you become a royal reporter."
Max Hastings (British journalist)

Georgiana

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/cbc-documentary-ponders-the-uncertain-fate-of-the-house-of-windsor/article1359924/

I found this relating to the monarchy's popularity (or lack of it from the authors POV). I think this article is very harsh and IMO I dont believe the monarchy has lost its potential to connect with the public.

Quote from: Wanderlust on November 11, 2009, 06:36:49 AM
So I guess what I really mean to say is Royals - "Less Drinky, More Thinky!"  :D

:thumbsup: And that's my tangent.

I agree Wanderlust  :thumbsup: too much partying does not give them the best image.

The younger royals have to give an impression that they are aware of social issues i.e. the recesion and cut back a bit.
cherryite # 009
GIFSoup

Wanderlust

:thankyou: for the link to the article, Georgiana. It had a bizarre tone, to say the least. I wonder why a guy who sounds so incredibly uninterested in the monarchy bothered to write an article about it.

I agree there is still huge potential for the monarchy to connect with the public. They have every opportunity in the world to be positive role models and inspirational figures. It just baffles me - who wouldn't want to take that opportunity?! Why do they drink and party so much? I'm the same age as William and I have no desire to party and I would never drink again if I had millions of dollars guaranteed for the rest of my life and could dedicate it to charity. Lucky ducks!
"The lowest form of popular culture -- lack of information, misinformation, and a contempt for the truth or the reality of most people's lives -- has overrun real journalism."
Carl Bernstein, Watergate journalist

"Europe has a press that stresses opinions; America a press, radio, and television that emphasize news."
James Reston (Dutch-born American journalist)

"If you can't get a job as a pianist in a brothel you become a royal reporter."
Max Hastings (British journalist)

Hale

I guess what I was thinking of when I wrote moral compass was do we need the royals to be role models?

Ursula

I agree about the partyingand I wonder what the Queen thinks about it.   

Lindelle

I haven't seen any stardust here in down under since Diana,  so we really have nothing to lose. :(

Hale

Lindelle, bearing in mind William will be visiting Oz do you think that the stardust of royalty can be rekindled?

Scarlet Flowers

I believe royalty ha lost some of it stardust.  It just doesn't seem to appeal to the young generation anymore.   
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Lindelle

Quote from: Hale on January 02, 2010, 04:37:49 PM
Lindelle, bearing in mind William will be visiting Oz do you think that the stardust of royalty can be rekindled?
Definately

amabel

have no doubt that the Queen is smart because she's given interviews, made speeches and the like. I feel like she has a handle on the world
Reply:
The queen has never given interviews to the best of my knowledge.  she has NEVER let her private views be known about anything, which is quite right for a constitutional monarch.  her job is to be seen in public, cut the ribbons, say what she's supposed to say and do some charity work..
As for speeches, do you think she writes her own?

She may or may not have a "handled on the world" - in fact i n many ways i would doubt it since she has never lived in the real world but she has shown  her common sense by keeping her views to herself....

As for the younger ones, like William and Harry, IMO they are wise not to try and say too much.  Charles thinks he can think and that he's an intellectual, but that is not the role of a monarch

drezzle

Quote from: amabel on January 03, 2010, 01:12:58 PM
....................................Charles thinks he can think and that he's an intellectual, but that is not the role of a monarch

:D  That's not a mistake William is likely to make since Wills can think for real.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

amabel

I don't see any particular evidence that William is very clever.  From what i have read he was struggling with his studies, at university... and generally speaking the RF are not what you'd call very clever.  but Charles seems ot have gotten it into his head that he is something special in the thinking dept (awfully good brain you've got there darling!!!) and likes to spout off about thing that he does not necessarily know much about. 

Lindelle

Quote from: Lindelle on January 02, 2010, 11:40:31 PM
Quote from: Hale on January 02, 2010, 04:37:49 PM
Definately
I'm going to get back to you all once this visit gets underway. We have 10 days til PW arrives and I bet half the country doesn't even know about it. It's all very quiet in the media here-in fact NOTHING about it.

Hale

Yes please Lindelle,   :thumbsup:  would very much like to hear how an Australian views William's visit.