Diana's former chef says her grave is being neglected

Started by PrincessOfPeace, August 17, 2014, 04:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Of course they were young, but it was reported that they were consulted.  And no, the BRF did not just say it was Charles Spencer's problem -- he made the decisions because he was her closest adult relative.  The fact that the BRF initially wanted to do a private funeral has nothing to do with anything.

Eri

Seems like we have an attention seeker here ... silly season doesn't help ... is this news really? With all that is going on in the World?

Lady Adams

Quote from: Canuck on August 18, 2014, 11:28:30 AM
Of course they were young, but it was reported that they were consulted.  And no, the BRF did not just say it was Charles Spencer's problem -- he made the decisions because he was her closest adult relative.  The fact that the BRF initially wanted to do a private funeral has nothing to do with anything.

I think perhaps the BRF's initial attitude towards Diana's funeral was mentioned to give context around the decision making for Diana to be buried alone, on an island.

My perspective: the island doesn't look much different from when I visited Althorp three years ago. The lake has algae but that does happen to all lakes. Darren has added another tweet showing the memorial area looking like "a tatty old shed" which does, to be fair, seem like it need  a bit of TLC.

However, I think the larger issue or point is the hashtag Darren used "ProveYouDidntWantHerForTheMoney," which may suggest that now that the Diana exhibit is no longer being displayed at  Althorp, upkeep on Diana's grave and memorial have fallen by the wayside.

Finally, there are several "news" articles about his tweets-- and he is retweeting them-- leading me to believe he was so outraged he wanted Althorp to be "named and shamed" into cleaning up the area, which is why he didn't just write a letter to the estate.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

My understanding of Diana's burial arrangements is that the decision was between the chapel where many generations of Spencers had been buried, or the island.  Charles Spencer said he chose the latter because Diana had loved the estate and he didn't like the idea of her in a crypt, and also to provide more privacy for visitors (especially Will and Harry).  I don't think the Royal family had anything to do with that (other than Will and Harry having been asked if they were okay with it). 

Charles Spencer had his own very specific ideas of the situation, and I don't think any disagreement that might have happened about the funeral (which Spencer denied rumours of) had anything to do with it.

Lady Adams

^^I understand that, and I think your perspective makes sense, though I also think the BRF did affect the decision process too.

I also think remembering the tension of the families at the time is helpful for context. It may-- dare I say-- predate some of the posters here!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

amabel

Quote from: Canuck on August 18, 2014, 03:48:29 PM
My understanding of Diana's burial arrangements is that the decision was between the chapel where many generations of Spencers had been buried, or the island.  Charles Spencer said he chose the latter because Diana had loved the estate and he didn't like the idea of her in a crypt, and also to provide more privacy for visitors (especially Will and Harry).  I don't think the Royal family had anything to do with that (other than Will and Harry having been asked if they were okay with it). 

My recollection was that the Spencer wanted a Private funeral and the RF were fine with that because they did not want to show any particular honour to Diana.  But when the Spencer saw the public mourning for her they felt that ti would nt be right to deny the people a chance ot share in her send off. and a private place for her to be buried meant that Wil and H could visit her grave in privacy and security...

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

sara8150

Chef accuses Earl Spencer of "neglecting" Diana's grave
Chef accuses Earl Spencer of "neglecting" Diana's grave : Australian Women's Weekly

Double post auto-merged: August 19, 2014, 04:05:29 AM

I'm guaranteed William and Harry wanted kept private on Diana's grave because she is two of her sons if the brothers would stay out it on his mother's death since 1997 she been gone for 17 years when his mother's death anniversary the brothers wanted kept low profiles on Diana's death anniversary on august 31 William and Harry don't wanted heard about his mother's death negative stories and also Diana's family too I'm sure Diana's siblings don't wanted heard on Diana's stories on tabloids it's hurtful for William and Harry plus spence family..

tiaras

What did Diana will to her sons ? Any property or money ?

sara8150

Quote from: tiaras on August 19, 2014, 05:56:47 AM
What did Diana will to her sons ? Any property or money ?

Money when William and Harry reach 25-30 years old for money when his mom dies

Double post auto-merged: August 19, 2014, 06:28:19 AM

Prince William turns 30 years and receive Princess Diana's inheritance!
Prince William turns 30 years and receive Princess Diana's inheritance!

tiaras

:thanks: I knew about the trust fund but ,  no property ? She didn't own her own home befire she passed away ?

cinrit

^^ No, she didn't.  But aside from money, she also left jewels ... you can read the full text of her will here:

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9803/04/diana.will/

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Curryong

^^No, in a way it's odd that Diana never thought about buying a house in the country or on the coast. She did have friends who had properties in the country and of course her sons could go to Highgrove after the separation by themselves.

Diana would describe William as being like a caged tiger when he was at KP at weekends, but of course her sons were at boarding school for much of the year in her last years. Perhaps she was deciding where she would eventually settle.

amabel

She did try to find a country house for them, at Althorp but she a dn her brother got into a dispute about what house to have and if it was secure and he ddidnt want reporters clogging up the place so she and her bro had a big argument about this issue and Diana remained without a county House.  For herself I think she didn't care, she didn't like the country but she knew that the boys did and wanted a home there.

Limabeany

:thanks: Cindy.

Quote from: cinrit on August 19, 2014, 10:33:09 AM
^^ No, she didn't.  But aside from money, she also left jewels ... you can read the full text of her will here:

CNN - Diana's Will: The full text - March 4, 1998

Cindy
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

tiaras

Quote from: cinrit on August 19, 2014, 10:33:09 AM

CNN - Diana's Will: The full text - March 4, 1998

Cindy
:thanks: , it is odd she didnt think about it but after her divorce she must have though she would have a lifetime ahead of her to plan all those things  :cry:

amabel

I don't believe she cared about a country house for herself so she probably didn't want to tie up her capital in one.  The boys were getting older, and she may have reasoned that she might not even want to live in the UK after they were grown up.. and they had Balmoral. Of course the will she made, was just a "settling things" one and probably would not have been her final disposition of her property, she just wanted to sort out her affairs for the time being and the best solution was to leave her money and jewels to the boys,  As ou probably know she did also want to leave something to her many godchildren but the Spencers did not obey that wish proprelry.

Curryong

No, the Spencers (Diana's sisters) did not behave properly with reference to the property and money Diana wished to be distributed amongst her godchildren, at all! Diana would have been very upset had she known. Even worse Sarah blew it off afterwards as if it didn't matter.

amabel

well that his the Spencer family for you. Always at odds with each other and pretty arrogant.  but I think that while Di did get annoyed and upset with Charles S over hte house, in itself she did not really care about having a country house.. but she had alienated many of her own social class who had country homes and could have given her a place to stay with the boys...

sandy

I think those of her "class" alienated her by providing safe houses for Charles and Camilla. Generally these friends were Charles friends not her friends.  I think these friends showed arrogance. I think the royals are not exactly a loving family to put it mildly--they are at odds too and it is not just the Spencers.

FanDianaFancy

I  am not knocking any of  you. Bringing it  back to the center.....
  I agree with Trudie.
I think everyone has good points.

All of you stated FACTS.

The grave being  not kept up...perhaps so.
Yes, chef has a cookbook to push.
Everybody  always  has something to push and  some sordid story  beforehand  to  link for their book, project , etc.

I too doubt the next  of kin, her sons,  teens, had  much  to say in arrangements. Her minor sons were next  of kin and Fatty Spencer.
  Too bad   PD was not buried  in the Abbey, etc.  Altrope was  her ancestral home.I get that.  I  know  she was divroced. Not D,PofW anymore.   Her name  was actually , legally  then back to   Lady  Diana Spencer. No HRH. No PDiana. No Diana PofWales.  Not a member of the BRF. I  think being  mother for  PW and 3rd and 4th  in line, she  should  have been buried there  at hte Abbey or some place easily accessable for the public and tourists   to see.
Yes  Fatty Spencer was  looking for the biggest profit  here.
Maybe when W is K, he will move his mother to  a  more esteemed place. He will have the power to do so.

He nor  PH  can do nothing  about moving their mother's resting place if they wanted to. They are in no authority  and  I assume they even know, PC and QEII, why make trouble.
Neither W nor H  could do anything about  the upkeep at  Altrope if they wanted to.
That is not their  palace or castle.  Fatty Spencer won't refuse any money though.

Very sad that even in the  ground, PD   has no respect . No  proper  attention for her grave. Nothing.   BRF wanted nothing to do with that  woman and Fatty  Spencer needed some money  and  well, easy problem solved there  for all.

When Camilla dies, even if she  is  not  QofE then and still PofWales DofCornwall  etc. etc. , she  will have the  burial place  of highest  esteem.  Highest honor.  Where Q's of E  are   buried?   if she dies as QofE, well then of  course she will be  be  buried  in the most highest and public place. Maybe a national shrine will mbe built for  by King Charles . Perhaps a palce  has  already  been  found for Queen Camila National Park.  Rename  a  park. Rename Trafalger Square, Queen Camilla Square.  There is no end to the honors for her and YES , SHE  WILL BE DofCorn   PofWales etc. if she dies before  becoming Q and if after, YES, she will be QofE. I get that!!!!!!  It  is what it  is!   For all  for all trourists  to see.  Her death  date might me  made a national holiday there  or  something tehre forever. Yes, I know she  is  wife  of  PC, still.  Will  her resting palce be off somewhere..in the Bruce-Shand family  Mosuleum  or  something. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So be it.

TLLK

As for royal burial sites they range from Westminster Abbey, Frogmore, St. George's Chapel, and other sites. Richard III's reburial site was being discussed after his remains were found and have now found a home.

I don't know where QEII and the DoE will be buried but I'm sure it has been planned. Charles and Camilla have likely considered their location too.

amabel

Camilla will be buried as a royal. Diana was buried in her family home.. as was befitting.

Canuck

sandy

Quote from: amabel on August 21, 2014, 07:21:44 AM
Camilla will be buried as a royal. Diana was buried in her family home.. as was befitting.

Diana was a royal too and unlike Camilla the mother of a future King.