The Crown Princely Family Current Events and Discussion

Started by sara8150, September 04, 2017, 12:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

A thread to discuss the current events and news for the Crown Princely Family

Princess Mako Officially Leaves Her Royal Status to Marry a Commoner with a 'Bright Smile'
Princess Mako Officially Announces Leaves Royal Status

Double post auto-merged: September 04, 2017, 12:39:57 AM

Japanese princess gives up her royal status to marry a piano-loving commoner she fell for because of his 'bright smiles like the sun'
Japan's Princess Mako to marry commoner and lose status | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: September 04, 2017, 04:06:14 PM

No fairytale ending: why Japan's Princess Mako is stepping down to marry a normal man
No fairytale ending: why Japan?s Princess Mako is stepping down to marry a normal man | World news | The Guardian

Blue Clover

This is very sweet but they are very, very young to get married. They both seem so childlike. I hope this will be a happy marriage.

TLLK

The Royal Forums on Twitter: "Japan?s Princess Mako Postpones Wedding Until ?At Least 2020? https://t.co/YkjPEWECmc"

Japan's Princess Mako postpones marriage to Kei Komuro - CNN

QuoteTokyo (CNN)Japan's Princess Mako and her commoner fiance Kei Komuro have postponed their highly-anticipated engagement and wedding until at least 2020, saying they were not yet ready for marriage.
The wedding, which had been set for November, was to be a momentous occasion for the country and the Japanese Royal Family, led by Emperor Akihito, who plans to abdicate in April 2019.
But the couple said they were now having second thoughts about marrying so soon. "It is because of our immaturity and we just regret it," the couple said in a statement Tuesday

Curryong

I wonder what the real reason is for postponement of this marriage? I feel very sorry for Mako and her fianc?. In Western monarchies a joyful event like a wedding would lift the population before the abdication of the old Emperor and the accession of the new. Instead, in Imperial Japan we get a public beating up of self, 'We regret...we are so immature' and postponement, perhaps for ever, of a celebration of the love a young couple have for each other. The pressure members of the Imperial Family live under is heartbreaking.

TLLK

Yes I agree that this is very unusual even for the Imperial family. As expected, there is a great deal of speculation regarding today's announcement.

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 01:16:41 AM

Another article suggesting that her fiancee's family is facing some financial issues too.

Princess Mako to postpone wedding due to 'lack of preparation' - The Mainichi

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 01:17:25 AM

QuoteThe abrupt announcement followed recent weekly magazine reports of a financial dispute between Komuro's mother and her former fiance over her son's educational expenses, which were shouldered by the mother's former partner

sara8150

Mystery as Japanese princess's wedding to college sweetheart is postponed until after the Emperor abdicates due to 'insufficient preparations'
Wedding of Japan princess to be postponed: reports | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 05:03:11 AM

Princess Mako, Who Gave Up Her Royal Status for Love, Postpones Marriage Due to 'Immaturity'
Japan's Princess Mako Postpones Marriage Due to 'Immaturity' | PEOPLE.com

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 05:03:56 AM

JAPAN'S PRINCESS MAKO POSTPONES ROYAL WEDDING DUE TO 'IMMATURITY'
Japan's Princess Mako postpones wedding due to 'immaturity'

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 05:05:52 AM

Japan's Princess Mako postpones wedding to commoner Kei Komuro
Japan's Princess Mako postpones wedding to commoner Kei Komuro - BBC News

amabel

why is it taking so long for him to Abdicate?  If there Are no other issues like problems with the groom's family,  then this maybe IS gong to push them back to 2020 if  the old emperior isn't going to abdicate for another year.  But it seems a shame..
I suspect there may be other things... and they are working up towards a full ending of the engagemetn

wannable

^ Agree in both abdication and marriage.  Seems off.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on February 07, 2018, 11:51:29 AM
why is it taking so long for him to Abdicate?  If there Are no other issues like problems with the groom's family,  then this maybe IS gong to push them back to 2020 if  the old emperior isn't going to abdicate for another year.  But it seems a shame..
I suspect there may be other things... and they are working up towards a full ending of the engagemetn
@amabel-From what I have read the emperor wanted to abdicate earlier, but this is the earliest date that the government will allow since a special law had to be passed.

Here is an article on the abdication and the law that had to be passed to permit him to abdicate.

Japan's Emperor Akihito likely to abdicate at end-March 2019: Asahi | Reuters

sara8150

PEOPLE Explains: Why Women In Japan's Imperial Family Must Give Up Their Royal Status to Marry Commoners
Explaining Japan Imperial Family Succession, Marriage | PEOPLE.com

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 10:46:38 PM

6 Things to Know About Princess Mako, Who Postponed Wedding After Giving up Royal Status for Love
What to Know About Princess Mako, Who Postponed Wedding | PEOPLE.com

TLLK

More news suggesting that there were visits by Princess Mako's parents to the Imperial Palace earlier in January to discuss the couple's engagement.

Princess Mako, Komuro say wedding delayed until 2020?The Asahi Shimbun

QuoteIn mid-January, Mako?s parents, Prince Fumihito and Princess Kiko, met with Akihito and Michiko during a sudden nighttime visit to the emperor?s residence at the Imperial Palace.

Several days later, Komuro visited the residence of Fumihito?s family. After that, Kiko and Mako visited the emperor?s residence, followed by another trip to the emperor?s residence by Fumihito and Kiko.

Such frequent trips to the emperor?s residence are rare, and the visits spread a sense of anxiety within the Imperial Household Agency, sources said.

Curryong

Yes, poor Mako. Had she been anyone but who she is she would be happily looking forward to her imminent wedding by now. The ritual, the ceremonial, the interference...!

royalanthropologist

Silly girl. Giving up your title for a man and now he starts getting cold feet.  :no:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

I'd say that this postponement has far more to do with the displeasure of the Imperial Household and possibly the Imperial Family itself with regard to this young man's background and antecedents than any cold feet.

TLLK

Speculation swirls over postponement of Princess Mako's wedding - Japan Today

Double post auto-merged: February 08, 2018, 07:38:48 PM

QuoteBut speculation is swirling that there could be more than meets the eye to the postponement, which was leading Wednesday's television news programmes.

For weeks, gossip magazines have been delving into the finances of Komuro's mother, who is widowed.

In late January, Japan's two biggest weeklies, each quoting an acquaintance of "a former fiance" of the mother, reported she had not repaid more than four million yen she had loaned from him.

The man called off the engagement after she asked for money so often, the reports said.

The money was reportedly spent on supporting the living of the single-parent household and the son's school tuition, including a half-year study at a US university.

But the Komuros argued they thought the money was "a gift", according to the Shukan Shincho weekly.

The liberal Asahi daily said "there have been worried voices in the imperial household agency since the money trouble was reported."

Quote from: royalanthropologist on February 08, 2018, 07:41:42 AM
Silly girl. Giving up your title for a man and now he starts getting cold feet.  :no:
I agree with @Curryong that he's not the one with cold feet issues. TBH I believe this has more to do with his mother's financial situation and the IHA's  concerns over that issue.

Curryong

So that's what the trouble is! Thanks, TLLK. And so officialdom is sticking its nose into this due to the incipient threat of scandal. The Imperial Household courtiers were probably wringing their hands anyway due to this young man's 'low' status. Why can't the Princess at least marry an aristocrat! Now the Royal parents have been all a twitter! If they think Kumoro's single mother's finances are a problem they should take a look at what the BRF has faced over the years!

TLLK

I have a feeling that this engagement is going to end in the near future. :no:

wannable

There cultural, traditional and social behavior is so different from the western world. Loaning, indebted, bankruptcy is considered in Japan as a 'shame'. 

When a Japanese falls in 'shame', it is akin to them to fall in disgrace for life, in the Samurai era, they would commit seppuku (suicide), old family traditions have their culture/tradition deeply engrained, like the Princess family.  (I have been practicing the art of the sword in 2 similar but slightly different Japanese martial art disciplines for the past 15 years, dealing with the frustration of 'perfection', I can well imagine the Princess boyfriend will bow out, or 'modern' Japan is giving him 3 years to put his act together, fix his monetary issues, rise from above, phenix).

amabel

well htat makes sense Wannabe.  I suppose if they leave things for a few years, they can sort out the abdication, the new Emperor taking over and his family have time to sort out their finances.. Given the Japanese culture, I think that makes good sense. Perhaps if they don't get his mother's finances sorted out, or the young couple are pressured, the engagement may be quietly ended...

Kritter

Money worries spell the end for Princess Mako of Japan?s engagement | World | The Times

When the eldest grandchild of Emperor Akihito announced her engagement to a commoner last year her fianc? introduced himself to the world as ?a simple man, probably on the dull side?.

When Princess Mako unexpectedly postponed their betrothal ceremony this month citing a ?lack of preparation?, the Japanese public began to wonder if Kei Komuro was more colourful than he had claimed.

Now it appears that the delay was a phased break-up, designed to avoid loss of face. ?This is a cancellation,? a source in the prime minister?s office told the magazine Shukan Gendai, adding that when Akhito abdicates next year ?Kei will be urged to 'voluntarily withdraw'".

Curryong

Well I thought that would happen! A fianc? of non noble background, too poor, things happening in his mother's past. Once the Family and Household got hold of that, what a golden opportunity! Poor Mako. This romance was doomed from the start, IMHO.

TLLK

^^^As did I @Curryong and I'm very sorry for this couple especially if the were happy together.  :(

amabel

Surely if she really wants to marry him, she can give up hr Imperial rank?  If they are very young and there are issues to sort out, then there is still time to sort out the problems and once the new Emperor is in place, she can give up her status and marry him.  If she really wants to....

Curryong

Well, yes, one would think that Mako could do that. However, everything I've read about the Imperial Family and the Court that surrounds them, (the Imperial Household,) lends one to believe that expectations on a family member are so high, protocol is so strict, the burden of never bringing any kind of shame upon the Family, the dynasty, ancestors etc so extraordinary, that what you suggest would never happen. That world is something incomprehensible to anyone brought up in quite another system.

Kritter

Is Princess Mako of Japan?s wedding officially off? ? Royal Central

QuoteA source in Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe?s office said to magazine Shukan Gendai, ?This is a cancellation?Kei will be urged to ?voluntarily withdraw?.? They added that this would take place around the Emperor?s abdication next year.

Jeff Kingston of Tokyo?s Temple University remarked, ?The IHA does not let the royals make decisions because they are symbols. And as symbols, they should be unblemished. Kei Komuro is seen as a blemish.?

The reason for the end of the engagement? As had been rumoured earlier this month, it is claimed that it surrounds Kei?s lack of disclosing his family?s financial situation to Mako?s father, Prince Akishino after rumours began circulating. As Princess Mako would no longer be a member of the Imperial Family, Kei, who has worked as a legal assistant, would be expected to support his wife and family.