Prince Harry pays personal tribute to murdered aid worker Alan Henning

Started by Limabeany, October 20, 2014, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Prince Harry pays tribute to Alan Henning | Royal | News | Daily Express

The fourth in line to the throne laid a bunch of flowers and paid his respects at the makeshift shrine to Mr Henning at Eccles Cross in Eccles, Greater Manchester.

Harry, 30,  was travelling between an official engagement at Eccles Rugby club and a further visit to a fire station in Salford and stopped off en route.

It was a private, informal tribute and there was no card or message with his floral tribute.

Mr Henning, 47, a Manchester taxi driver, was beheaded in Syria by Islamic State fundamentalist fighters on October 3 after being captured during ISIS's occupation of the Syrian city of Al-Dana in December 2013.

The aid worker, who worked as a taxi driver in Eccles - where he was known by the nickname Gadget and hailed a hero - was in the city providing humanitarian relief.

The sombre tribute was in sharp contrast to the light tone of Harry's earlier official engagement, when he spent two hours at the town's rugby club, coaching children and inspiring teachers from state secondary schools to coach the game.

The Prince, the world's most eligible bachelor, got down and dirty, practising scrummaging with male and female teachers along with Sarah Hunter, 29, vice captain of the England team that won the Women's rugby union World Cup in August.

Even World Cup winner Hunter, 29, from Newcastle, admitted: "When I go back and tell my England teammates that I played alongside Prince Harry, I think they will be jealous."

Harry, a qualified rugby coach, was there in his role as patron of England Rugby's All Schools programme, which aims to increase the number of state secondary schools playing rugby union.

At present there are around 1,600 state schools playing the game, which is traditionally more popular in independent schools.

Prince Harry Visits Alan Henning Memorial
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

Harry, the world's most eligible bachelor, has a very big heart!

Jenee

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.