Elizabeth - Our Queen : Friends share stories

Started by Kritter, February 04, 2018, 01:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Her REAL highness: Elizabeth you won?t see on The Crown | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe Queen, now 91, is Britain's longest-serving monarch, the world's oldest head of state and approaching the 65th anniversary of her coronation. It is a life that started in the Jazz Age and has stretched far into the digital one.

It is hard for some of us to remember that she was not always this august. 'I suppose people may now see a 91-year-old lady and forget she was once young,' recalls Prudence, Lady Penn, one of the Queen's oldest friends, who herself is 91.

'I remember going with her and Prince Philip to a nightclub in Leicester Square called The 400, which was the smart place to go. And we had drinks, and something to eat and we danced. She loved to do normal things like you do when you are young.'

LouisFerdinand

I like how Lady Butter described King George VI and Queen Elizabeth having balls given at Windsor Castle. The hope was that Princess Elizabeth might find a match among the aristocratic British officers.

Kritter

Queen Elizabeth II: Princess Margaret's SHOCK words to future queen | Life | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

QuoteQUEEN ELIZABETH II: Her sister Princess Margaret had a surprising reaction to news Elizabeth was the heir to the throne, and would become Queen of England. The story will be revealed in Elizabeth: Our Queen on Channel 5.

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 11:06:54 AM

How young Queen Elizabeth learnt she was heir to the throne after swimming lesson - and the man who trained her to be a monarch - Mirror Online

QuoteAll it took was a moment for Princess Elizabeth?s life to change forever.

December 10, 1936 started like any other; the princess attended a swimming lesson with her friends, they learnt life saving techniques and, according to close friend Lady Myra Butter, she was ?really quite good.?

It was when she returned home and was getting ready to write up her notes from her class that things changed.

Hearing cries of God Save the King from outside she went to investigate.

Asking a nearby footman what was going on he explained her uncle King Edward VIII had abdicated - her father was now King.

Mods could we change the title of this thread to Elizabeth: Our Queen.   :thanks:

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 12:19:55 PM

Her REAL highness: Elizabeth you won?t see on The Crown | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe Queen, now 91, is Britain's longest-serving monarch, the world's oldest head of state and approaching the 65th anniversary of her coronation. It is a life that started in the Jazz Age and has stretched far into the digital one.

It is hard for some of us to remember that she was not always this august. 'I suppose people may now see a 91-year-old lady and forget she was once young,' recalls Prudence, Lady Penn, one of the Queen's oldest friends, who herself is 91.

'I remember going with her and Prince Philip to a nightclub in Leicester Square called The 400, which was the smart place to go. And we had drinks, and something to eat and we danced. She loved to do normal things like you do when you are young.'

Double post auto-merged: February 07, 2018, 04:48:12 PM

The Queen Mother once gave the Queen this excellent piece of advice

QuoteThe Queen is renowned for her quiet confidence, dignity and poise, but these important characteristics, which have served the monarch throughout her long-reign, can be attributed to words of wisdom shared by her mother, a friend has revealed.

Lady Penn has shared how the Queen Mother told her young daughter to always walk through the very centre of a doorway ? a tip which is likely to have helped the shy Princess Elizabeth prepare for a lifetime in the public eye.