Danish Monarchy Current Events

Started by TLLK, January 02, 2017, 02:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Crown Princess Mary cancels trip to Lithuania following the death of her father-in-law ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Princess Mary has cancelled a planned visit to Lithuania on Friday following the death of her father-in-law Prince Henrik.

The Princess was due to visit Baltic state later this week to mark the country?s centenary of independence.

She was due to join Sweden?s Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel at the event.

Members of the Danish Royal Family had previously cancelled their engagements in the days leading up to Prince Henrik?s death due to his severe prognosis.

TLLK

Queen Margrethe ?lost for words? after Donald Trump cancels State Visit ? Royal Central

QuoteQueen Margrethe of Denmark is reported to be ?shocked? after President Trump cancelled his upcoming state visit to the Kingdom after a dispute over Greenland.

According to Danish newspaper BT, Her Majesty is ?shocked? by the impulsive decision, with the President pulling out of the visit just two weeks before it was due to take place.

A spokesperson for The Queen reacted to the news saying: ?That was a surprise! We are simply lost for words.?

The Danish royal household had already put a lot of work and effort into the visit as they prepared to welcome the US President.

The Queen?s staff had cancelled their summer leave to help prepare the visit after Her Majesty invited Trump to visit her country last month.

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday night, President Trump said: ?Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen?s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time.

?The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future.?

President Trump, accompanied by First Lady Melania Trump, was due to arrive in Copenhagen on September 2nd and depart Denmark the following day, September 3rd.

The President has expressed interest in buying Greenland which is ruled by Margrethe on several occasions.

However, he has been told in no uncertain terms that Greenland is not for sale.

While State Visits have been cancelled or postponed in recent years often times due to a domestic crisis in the incoming or host nation, I must admit that this reason is a first for me.  :blink:

amabel

TLLK

The POTUS is interested in purchasing Greenland from the Danish. He's been told that parts of the kingdom are not for sale.

QuoteTaking to Twitter on Tuesday night, President Trump said: ?Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen?s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time.

?The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future.?

President Trump, accompanied by First Lady Melania Trump, was due to arrive in Copenhagen on September 2nd and depart Denmark the following day, September 3rd.

The President has expressed interest in buying Greenland which is ruled by Margrethe on several occasions.

wannable

Playing the devils advocate, Trump first and foremost is a Businessman...Since allegedly there were ''initial'' talks between the governments of the USA/Denmark to lessen the USD 700+Million yearly debt Denmark has to pay/keep afloat Greenland, the usual businessman will assess...here comes the play of the businessman playing 'chess' to instead of increasing USA interests; i.e. there is a USA military base, which I believe Denmark told them 'you can make it bigger, but pay bigger rent, the USA gov moved their chess piece saying we propose to buy the island.

He did a check, and put them on the spot. If at the end Greenland is sold; it will be checkmate.

Disclaimer: I have read both sides of the story, the move has to come now from Denmark, I believe they will try to find other options to relieve the yearly (almost 1 billion) to keep the Island (and Islanders, a very very small population of 56K) bouyant. It will be very difficult in this economy, as they will have to decide with business negociations with USA or China (they constructed 3 small airports there). What Denmark thought was a temporary economic slump with 'maintaining' the island, it has turned into a more than 10 years of paying the island keepup.

amabel

I can't help but be amused by Trump at times.. "Oh she wotn sell the island so Im not goig to waste my valuable time visiting!

Curryong

Not everything is about money. Denmark may be a small country but it's a proud one and Greenland is Danish and will remain so. Trump does a lot of things on impulse and reacts like a two year old when things don't go his way. The way he's treated the Danes in withdrawing from a State Visit, after months of planning by the Danish court, is appalling in my view, though I don't know why his behavior should surprise anyone. Trump is not a businessman but a HOS and should try to behave like one. He's certainly the reverse of being a Statesman in any sense of the word.

wannable

Maybe, but after the G7 meeting, the invitation to Denmark needs to be substantiated, table of discussion, it's a high profile visit, not a light diplomacy, Trump is not a Royal, therefore my previous comment. The evil USA saw the opportunity when Denmark proposed to bigger your military installation for rent, Trumps treasury man was the one who spilled the beans, hence economic journalists speak about Denmark has to financially keep afloat the almost 1 billion per year help to Greenland  if not their island livery dies...

Curryong

No, Trump isn't a Royal. Far from it. He is however a HOS and he should behave like one and show some manners. And it's not up to the US to put pressure on a small country, like they've done in the past in Central America. When this base was established in the first place during WW2 Denmark was in danger of invasion but of course the US pressed for an advantageous treaty for them all the same. A bit like the Lease and Lend elderly shipping they were so keen to offload on to Britain in an act of 'kindness'.

wannable

He doesn't have manners, he's a businessman and left the twitter message until later, another time...leaving the chess piece, the ball at Denmark's side.

I just hope Denmark doesn't give in, he is today pressuring them via the NATO to pay full 2% in military, if not, what will USA do? Make an exchange...you'll see.

Curryong

There are big businessmen with perfect manners. But Trump isn't one of them.

Danish reaction to the latest Trump contremps.

Denmark Finds Itself at the Center of a Trumpian Storm - The Atlantic

wannable

The only other military base who left and came back (strategy of cut ties then come back) because it's government missed the moneys with the military bases, USA history is the Philippines during the 2 eras of Barrack Obama.

Curryong

The Philippines was part of the defacto American Empire in the 19th century however, and regarded almost as an US Imperial possession. Denmark doesn't have those kinds of links, thank God. It's a totally independent little country, and doesn't deserve the Trump treatment.

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Princess Mary attends WWF World Wide Fund for Nature release of Thornback ray fish in Kattegatcentret, Grenaa today 19 August

Pics: TT Nyhetsbyr?n

Video: Tilbage efter ferie: Mary ankom med stil til stor begivenhed | BILLED-BLADET

TLLK

Crown Princess Mary releases stingrays into Danish waters ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Princess Mary participated in a nature event with the WWF World Wide Fund for Denmark on Wednesday, helping to release stingrays at the Kattegat Centre in Grenaa to help foster knowledge of the marine creatures.

According to the Royal House, Crown Princess Mary aided in the release of five stingrays, the first time any have been released into Danish waters. The species has been listed as threatened with extinction.

Double post auto-merged: August 21, 2020, 01:02:11 PM

CP Frederik opens new section of a power plant.

Google ?bersetzer

PrincessOfPeace

As President of the WWF World Wide Fund for Nature, the Crown Princess Mary attend today at the announcement of a new partnership between the organization and a Danish company.

Kronprinsesse Mary ankommer med stil til vigtig begivenhed | BILLED-BLADET

TLLK

The Crown Prince Couple at the annual memorial day event in Denmark.

Google ?bersetzer

QuoteAgain this year, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary pay tribute to expatriate Danes in international service and the fallen soldiers.

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary commemorate, pay tribute and honor today, Saturday 5 September, sent and fallen Danes in international service at a memorial service at the monument at Kastellet with wreath-laying, music and speeches.

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Prince Frederik attends and gives a speech as patron of Save the Children Denmarks 75th anniversary conference *How Do We Secure Childrens Mental Health and Well being?*

Pics:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhdoRHSXcAA21Gx?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhdqehxXkAABmFc?format=jpg&name=medium

TT Nyhetsbyr?n

Crown Princess Mary attends and speaks at the international conference *ADecade of Action ? 10 years left* on UN Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs.

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Prince Frederik met the winners of the Danish Championship in Entrepreneurship in Copenhagen today

Pics: https://beta.tt.se/bild/q=frederik%20entrepren?rskab%2014.september%202020

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Princess Mary presented the Danish Industrys Prize 2020 in connection with the Danish Industrys Summit in Copenhagen today

Fornem ankomst: Mette Frederiksen tog imod Mary | BILLED-BLADET

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Prince Frederik visited the exhibition POWER AND COURAGE - The world of Christian V at Rosenborg Castle

H.K.H. Kronprinsen bes?gte udstillingen "MAGT OG MOD ? Christian 5.s verden" | Kongehuset

PrincessOfPeace

CP Frederik attends Schools Sports/Physical Exercise Day