Work Shy Royals

Started by snokitty, October 30, 2014, 02:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

I was wondering if there were any members of Royal families around the world who are either as work shy or non-caring of the people as William and Kate are.

Can anyone name them for me? I mean if there is because I can't think of any.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

tiaras

Mette-Marit ,Crown princess of Norway  :Jen:

SophieChloe

Quote from: snokitty on October 30, 2014, 02:24:41 PM
I was wondering if there were any members of Royal families around the world who are either as work shy or non-caring of the people as William and Kate are.

Can anyone name them for me? I mean if there is because I can't think of any.
Nope, you've stumped me there! 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

I posted a tally from last year's Ekstrabladet that documented the number of days worked of the monarchs/heirs/siblings/heir-to-heir (when applicable) for the monarchies of the UK, Denmark, Sweden and Norway from Jan. 1, 2013 to Dec. 16, 2013. I'll pull up the numbers again if that might provide some information. All royal houses have different expectations, but typically the monarch has the highest numbers followed by the heirs etc...

For other nations you would have to look at their respective websites and try to determine who works where and when. Just a note, most of the engagement calendars will be in their nation's language so good luck!

snokitty

The other royal families count days and the BRF counts engagements. The tally you have will not be accurate unless you count the BRF in the same way.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

HereditaryPrincess

Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine of Sweden are rather "work shy" as well. Prince Carl Philip mostly focuses on motor racing, and hasn't undertaken many royal engagements this year. Perhaps once he's married, we will see him in more official events more often, but we'll see I guess. Even though Princess Madeleine has her World Childhood Programme and she attends events in New York for that, she hasn't been seen doing many other royal duties recently, apart from the ones she's expected to attend such as National Day and family events like Princess Estelle's christening back in 2012.

Then there are of course the more minor members of royal families who like to keep their lives private. Princess Esmeralda of Belgium, the daughter of King Leopold III, hasn't been seen in public for a few years, up until now when she has written a book on King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth.

TLLK

This tally counted days worked and not engagements. The paper Ekstrabladett (republican leaning) reviewed the official calendars for the royal houses it surveyed and counted the days in which a particular royal was out working. They did not count the number of engagements so it be as accurate as possible.

Of the royals on the list nearly all are considered to have been full time royals with no other occupation during the time. Exceptions inclulde Prince Joachim of Demark who was still farming at Schakenborg, Princess Martha Louise who has her angel school and Prince William who was still with SAR from Jan.- mid August 2013. CP Mette Marit underwent neck surgery in the fall of 2013 and required several weeks to recuperate. Duchess Kate was on maternity leave from mid-June-late August 2013. The DoE was on medical leave from mid-June -late October 2013.
Duchess Kate, Princess Madeline,  and Princess Martha Louise are not considered to be full time. Also noted: Unlike the Scandinavian houses QEII's other children and their spouses were not included.

Of this group of royals the DoE is the eldest and Princess Madeline, Duchess Kate, Prince William are the youngest. QEII is the eldest monarch with Carl Gustav as the youngest one. The PoW is the oldest heir with his Swedish counterpart Victoria as the youngest.

Here you are ranked from most days to least days: (Not counting 104 weekend days.) UK=United Kingdom, S=Sweden, N=Norway, DK=Denmark
Prince of Wales-UK-189
Queen Elisabeth II-UK-181
King Carl Gustav-S-168
Queen Silvia-S-134
Queen Margrethe I-DK-124
Duchess of Cornwall-UK-124
King Harald-N-124
Duke of Edinburgh-120
CP Haakon-N-114
CP Frederik-DK-90
CP Mary-DK-90
CP Victoria-S-89
Prince Daniel-S-89
Queen Sonja-N-63
Prince Henrik-DK-63
Prince Carl Phillip-S-53
CP Mette-Marit-47
Duke of Cambridge-UK-46
Duchess of Cambridge-UK-35
Prince Joachim-DK-35
Princess Marie-DK-30
Princess Madeline-S-22
Princess Martha Louise-N-under 10

This year saw no changes within these monarchies in regards to current roles ie: no abdications.

Personally I'd like to see Ekstrabladett do this tally again for 2014 but I'd like to see the other European houses, the Middle Eastern and Asian monarchies/principalities included as well.

Double post auto-merged: October 30, 2014, 05:13:54 PM

Quote from: HereditaryPrincess on October 30, 2014, 05:03:42 PM
Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine of Sweden are rather "work shy" as well. Prince Carl Philip mostly focuses on motor racing, and hasn't undertaken many royal engagements this year. Perhaps once he's married, we will see him in more official events more often, but we'll see I guess. Even though Princess Madeleine has her World Childhood Programme and she attends events in New York for that, she hasn't been seen doing many other royal duties recently, apart from the ones she's expected to attend such as National Day and family events like Princess Estelle's christening back in 2012.

Then there are of course the more minor members of royal families who like to keep their lives private. Princess Esmeralda of Belgium, the daughter of King Leopold III, hasn't been seen in public for a few years, up until now when she has written a book on King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth.
:goodpost: Hereditary Princess perhaps you and I could give an "overview"of some of the royal houses to identify the main players and who is considered to be a "working" royal either full or part time.

Double post auto-merged: October 30, 2014, 06:00:32 PM

There is already an existing British royals engagement/days worked tally in the Royalty Today section so I won't go into too much detail. This is the largest group of working royals who perform engagements on behalf of the monarch.  :)

Belgium-Five full time royals: King Phillipe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid, Prince Laurent, Princess Claire. King Albert, Queen Paola and Queen Fabiola are semi-retired. The nation with the most Queen Consorts.  :) Heir to the throne Elisabeth (13) does the occasional royal engagement with her parents. Most engagements are carried out by Phillipe and Mathilde.

Denmark-Six full time royals: Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, CP Frederik, CP Mary, Prince Joachim, Princess Marie.
*Margrethe's sister Princess Benedikte will do the occasional royal duty and joins the DRF at the Opening of Parliment and will act as a regent when QM or her sons are all out of the country. Joachim's wife former wife Alexandra has remarried and has very few patronages remaining.

Luxembourg-Four full time royals: GD Henri, GD Maria Teresa, HGD Guillaume, HGD Stephanie. Henri's siblings and other children appear at family events and do the occasional royal duty. Most of the work is done by Henri and MT though Guillaume and Stephanie are starting to undertake more duties. Stephanie did her first solo duty last month.

Monaco-Two full time royals:Prince Albert and Princess Charlene with help from Prince Albert's sisters Caroline and Stephanie who undertake occasional royal duties. Heir to the throne to arrive in December.  :banana: :banana:

Netherlands-Three full time royals: King Willem-Alexander, Queen Maxima, Princess Beatrix with occasional royal duties by Prince Constantijn, Princess Laurentian, Princess Margariet. The King's brother, sisters-in-law, mother, aunt/uncle and cousins/spouses are usually at King's Day at the end of April. Princess of Orange Catharina-Amalia(11) has appeared at Kings Day with her siblings but does not undertake royal duties.
*The most costly royal house in Europe in terms of tax payer funding.

Norway-Four full-time royals: King Harald, Queen Sonja, CP Haakon, CP Mette-Marit. Princes Martha Louise and Harald's sister Astrid do the occasional royal duty. Harald and Haakon undertake most of the royal engagements.

Spain-Two full time royals and two part time/semi-retired ones:Europe's newest monarch: King Felipe, Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia. JC and Sofia do make appearances and undertake engagements for their son and daughter-in-law. Infantas Elena and Cristina no longer take on royal engagements though Elena will likely be present at some royal events. Heir to the throne Leonor (10) has done the occasional royal duty when her school schedule permits it.

Sweden-Five full time royals and one part time one: King Carl Gustav, Queen Sonja, CP Victoria, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Phillip and Princess Madeline. Carl Phillip's soon to be wife Sofia will likely to begin royal duties after their wedding. Princess Madeline lives in New York. Carl Gustav's sisters do not perform royal duties but are seen occasionally at royal events and the Nobel Prize gala.

UK-See above.

Double post auto-merged: October 30, 2014, 07:39:02 PM

Asian monarchies tend to have large royal families but not all would be considered working royals.

Japan: Five full time working royals and one part time. Emperor Ahkito, Empress Michiko, CP Nahurito, Prince Ashikino, Princess Ashikino (Kiko). Part time and returning to duties slowly is CP Masako who is still recovering from an adjustment disorder. The extended royal family includes the Emperor's surviving brothers, sisters-in-law and unmarried nieces. Women of the Imperial House leave the IF upon marriage.

HereditaryPrincess

@TLLK I will be rather busy soon, but over the free time I get I will be sure to join in with you on the overview of working royals. :hug:

TLLK

Thank you. I'm not as well-informed regarding the Middle-Eastern and Asian monarchies. Having this overview will be a good source of information for the board IMO.

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ You're welcome, @TLLK. I'm not that informative on the Middle Eastern and Asian Royals either, and also sometimes the Monegasque Royals too. I'm not sure if a tally of events is available online for the Middle Eastern and Asian Royals, but I'm sure there's one somewhere if we look hard enough. :hug:

TLLK

I'd check their official calendars but I usually cannot read the language. The Jordanians are very good about releasing information about their events but I'm not sure about the others.

Lothwen

Don't the Danish royals count things like birthday parties as official engagements?  It's amazing what goes on the court circular (or whatever method is used to count royal engagements) and what doesn't.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

Well to be honest I believe that those types of events are considered engagements if it is the monarch's birthday ie: Danish balcony appearance on Margrethe's birthday by the entire family.

Double post auto-merged: November 02, 2014, 06:59:36 PM

Truthfully I believe that all events for a monarch's milestone birthday, wedding or ascension anniversaries are considered royal engagements.