The Role of the British Monarchy, Popularity and Future discussion part 2

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 21, 2017, 01:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

The first proper state visits to England were those of the Emperor of Russia and the King of Saxony to London in 1814.   
The Allied sovereigns visit to England occurred in June 1814 to celebrate the peace following the defeat of France and abdication of Napoleon I in April 1814. Tsar Alexander I stayed with his sister, Grand Duchess Catherine, who was the Duchess of Oldenburg.

TLLK

Welcome to Part 2 of The Role of the British Monarchy, Popularity and Future Discussion. The previous thread can be found below.

The role of the British Monarchy, Popularity and Future discussion

Curryong

An Ipsos poll taken among Americans about a week ago has some interesting data about the BRF.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/quarter-americans-say-prince-harry-their-favorite-royal

This poll finds that while about one fifth of Americans believe it would be better if the British monarchy was abolished, a plurality, about two in five, says abolishing the monarchy would make no difference at all. Although, opinions around abolishing the monarchy vary based on perceptions of certain members of the royal family. Americans who favor Duchess Meghan Markle (28%) or Prince Harry (23%), for example, are more likely to say it would be better to abolish the monarchy than those who favor Prince William (13%). Perhaps not surprisingly, Americans who favor King Charles III or do not favor Prince Harry are most likely to say abolishing the monarchy would make things worse (20% for both).

When asked which members of the British royal family they like most, a plurality (25%) of Americans say they like Prince Harry, followed by Princess Kate Middleton (22%), Prince William (17%), Duchess Meghan Markle (12%), and King Charles III (8%). Notably, those against abolishing the monarchy are more likely to say they like Princess Kate Middleton, Prince William, or Prince Charles the most versus those in favor of abolishing the monarchy. Americans who are baby boomers or older are more likely to say they like Prince William or Princess Kate Middleton the most versus Gen Xers or millennials and Gen Zers.

Without making respondents choose between family members, though, nearly the same amount of Americans has a favorable opinion of Prince Harry (41%) versus Prince William (40%). More Americans (47%), however, say they have a favorable perception of Princess Kate Middleton, who also tops favorability for Duchess Meghan Markle (35%) and King Charles III (25%). Of note, baby boomers and older are more likely to have a favorable opinion of Prince William (49%) or Princess Kate Middleton (57%) than Gen Zers and millennials (33% and 43%, respectively). Additionally, Americans with children in their household (53%) are more likely to have a favorable opinion of Prince Harry than those without (35%). 

wannable

Ipsos is one of the most serious surveys in the USA, interesting the Waleses are popular/up there. They rarely go.

PrincessOfPeace

Do other monarchies concern themselves with American popularity?

American's have no more say over the BRF than they do over the Swedish Royal family.

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 22, 2023, 02:09:51 PM

American's have no more say over the BRF than they do over the Swedish Royal family.
I dont see that British monarchy concerns itself with what the Americans may think,  but the other monarchies are not well known enough in the US for Americans to have any opinion on them.

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 22, 2023, 02:09:51 PM

For the most part I can believe that other monarchies are not interested in what Americans' opinions are on their monarchies as it doesn't affect us in the least. I am surprised that Americans were even asked in a poll if the British monarchy should be abolished.  :blink: That's just illogical IMO. IMHO even those North American nations that are constitutional monarchies ie: Canada should really only be asked if they as a nation want to continue to have the British monarch as their Head of State and not if the monarchy should continue in the UK.

We do have some parts of the country with a higher population of people who have ties to nations with monarchies and sometimes those royals will visit that region. However it's historically been the British monarchy and for a little while Monaco  that has received the most press coverage. Spanish language TV will sometimes cover big events in Spain like Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

Because they're likely to be unknown, there's a number of royals from reigning houses who attended American universities in part because they could be somewhat  anonymous as really few people knew who they were.

Royals who attended American secondary schools and/or universities for undergraduate or graduate work: Prince Albert, King Abdullah, CP Hussein, Princess Iman, CPss Victoria, King Phillipe, King Felipe, CP Frederik and CP Haakon.

TLLK

KCIII, the PoW and the PssR narrate a short video on the Investitures that they carry out throughout the year. Since the death of the late QEII, they are the only royals who carry out Investitures.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/status/1626596237024825348?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

QuoteKing Charles, Prince William & Princess Anne narrate video about Investiture ceremonies. 

The three are the only UK Royals who currently host the large Investiture services.

TLLK

You Gov UK poll for March showed a slight rise in popularity for members of the BRF and the overall view of the monarchy.

Kate Middleton and Prince William most popular UK royals | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteThe poll, carried out between March 18 and 20, asked 1,983 adults in Great Britain which opinion they had of each Royal Family member, with the answers available ranging from ?very positive? to ?very negative? and ?don?t know?.

Prince William, who is currently visiting Poland, topped the chart, with 72 percent of the respondents saying they had either a "very" or "fairly" positive opinion of him, against 18 who said they see him negatively.

QuoteOverall, the Royal Family increased its popularity by one percent over the past few months, the poll suggested and saw the percentage of people saying they had a negative opinion of it going from 34 to 30 percent.

The institution of the monarchy in general also fared better than in January, with positive answers going from 54 to 58 percent while the negative ones decreased from 37 to 32 percent.

Current rankings:
1. William
2. Catherine/Anne
3 Charles
4. Edward
5. Camilla

I didn't see Sophie listed in the poll, though IMHO she should be included. Those at the bottom of the polling are no longer performing royal duties so I don't know why they're included.

Curryong

Every member bar Andrew apparently got a bit of an uptick, with Anne becoming quite a favourite. Don?t know why YouGov keep insisting on putting non working royals up in these surveys though, and also not including Sophie.

My i pad is playing up a bit, but I did manage to capture this page which I thought quite interesting in a general overview. Not glowing figures for a new monarch though.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/6xeg5h7mi1/RoyalFamily_Opinion_2012toPresent_W.pdf

Curryong

Don?t know what thread this is suitable for but

Royal family 'on brink of collapse' as it's 'abolishing itself', new report claims - Mirror Online

This was originally reported in the Sunday Express today

The royal family is on the "brink of collapse" and in danger of "abolishing itself", a new report has claimed.

King Charles III risks becoming "too distant" from the nation after a drop off in the number of public engagements, it adds.

The report, from thinktank Civitas, claims death, scandal and resignation are blamed for a 40 per cent drop in engagements in the past decade.

It further predicts if junior royals don't do more to support King Charles then the monarchy could easily "collapse".?

Civitas argues against slimming down the monarchy too much as the Kents are expected to retire after the Coronation, the Gloucesters may follow them and that leaves working royals dominated by people in their 70s and 60s, with too few members to plug the gaps, and fewer and fewer engagements being seen to be done.

TLLK

The report from think tank Civitas makes very good points. Now I believe that KCIII and the rest of the BRF have known for years that the elderly Kents and the Gloucesters would one day retire and that ultimately the number of working royals would be reduced. Ultimately I believe it's going to come down to will the British public be satisfied with a smaller Royal Family if it saves money or will they want to see an increase in working royals by adding one or both of the York sisters even though that might require more funding?

PrincessOfPeace

Even under the best circumstances, Charles only has 2 children to the QEII four. Plus Charles doesn't have the extended famiy either. It's inevitable the numbers will go down. That's just a fact of life.

The Royal Family means much more to the country than just the number of ribbons they cut.

Amabel2

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 16, 2023, 01:00:58 PM
Even under the best circumstances, Charles only has 2 children to the QEII four. Plus Charles doesn't have the extended famiy either. It's inevitable the numbers will go down. That's just a fact of life.

The Royal Family means much more to the country than just the number of ribbons they cut.
The Public want them in place because by and large they have done a good enough job and a president would cost more. They don't need to see them appearing at XYZ town to open the baby clinic there, as long as they see that they are doing some charity work, appearing occasionally at some big event and looking glitzy, and appearing here and there to shake hands.  THe public certainly dont want to pay more than  they have to, to support the RF... and IMO are content to accept that the days of a lot of royals doing a lot of events are over.

wannable

Interesting to me is the question 'what should Camilla be called?' 36% Queen Consort and only 14% Queen Camilla

PrincessOfPeace

An Ipsos survey --

The Princess of Wales has overtaken Prince William as the most popular Royal in the first poll of its kind since the late Queen's death.

The latest Ipsos favourability poll suggests that the Princess is the most liked member of the family, followed by her husband, the King's grandchildren and the Princess Royal.

The Duchess of Sussex was among the least popular family members on 10 per cent, along with the Queen Consort who also attracted only 10 per cent of mentions by those surveyed.

More than a third of the people surveyed said they liked Kate the most on 38 per cent, followed closely by Prince William on 34 per cent.

King Charles was the fifth most liked Royal, voted for by 20 per cent of respondents, followed by Prince Harry on 14 per cent and Prince Edward on 11 per cent.

Around 18 per cent said they liked no member of the Royal family.

The Telegraph: Most and least popular royals revealed

Curryong

Ipsos isn?t regarded as particularly accurate and I continue to believe that non working members of the RF shouldn?t be represented in these polls.

However, taking it for what it is

Most popular royal revealed in new Ipsos poll | UK News | Metro News,then%20Princess%20Anne%20at%2025%25.

I linked this newspaper because the Telegraph is behind a paywall.

These are not exactly glowing figures for the new King and Queen. And once more, I don?t think Sophie Edinburgh is included. Why not?

Some of the least popular members included Charles at 20%, Harry at 14%, Prince Edward at 11% and Meghan Markle and Camilla at 10%.

Unsurprisingly, Andrew took the last place spot with only 4% of people saying he is their favourite royal.

Around 18% of those surveyed said they did not like any members of the royal family.

TLLK

@Curryong-I too am surprised that the Duchess of Edinburgh was not mentioned while non-working family members like the three Yorks (Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie) and the Sussexes are included. I'm astonished that the King's grandchildren (Princes George, Louis, Archie/Princesses Charlotte, Lilibet) are even noted.

I have to wonder if this is the type of poll where people were simply asked "Who is your favorite royal?" and "Who is your least favorite royal?"
I'd like to see the questions that were given to the 4,000 who participated.

wannable

The amount of polls before a coronation is astonishing

1 May, 2023 all in a diagram

HistoryGirl2

Sorry if this belongs elsewhere, but I thought it interesting as far as the future of the monarchy is concerned.

Princess Anne: slimmed-down royal family ?doesn?t sound like a good idea? | Princess Anne | The Guardian

It?s not at all strange to me that Anne wouldn?t see the slimming down as a good idea, as it might directly affect her.

I also wonder how it would work, if the Prince and Princess of Wales don?t step up to do the amount of engagements that members like Anne do on an annual basis. Charles and Camilla are older. William doesn?t have any siblings to help the way Charles did.

I agree with it based on optics and fiscal responsibility, but is it feasible in reality?

wannable

wannable

@Curryong Lord Ashcroft (partly in behalf of the British monarchy/King Charles) conducted his own poll throughout the realms.

Australia wants to be a Republic but stay in the Commonwealth according to him.

Here's a lengthy article.

Shock poll shows six out of 14 nations would vote to remove Charles as their head of state | Daily Mail Online

The smaller islands don't want to be a republic.

His investigation has the Caribbean islands mostly sympathetic with Meghan and Harry, although William and Kate reign supreme in popularity there.

Lord A also says that King Charles has a titanic job with primarily the 14 realms.  Don't know what else he can do or what Lord A thinks, the King has publicly congratulated and accepted graciously all realms going R and staying in the Commonwealth.

HistoryGirl2

^I can definitely see this happening. Every nation should have the right to choose who they want their head of state to be.

Amabel2

They have a right to choose.  Noone's forced them to stay wiht the monarch as head of state.  the Commonwealth is a voluntary association of countries.