Welsh Gold mine that made Diana's ring reopens after nearly 20 years

Started by Kritter, January 05, 2018, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Welsh Gold mine that made Diana's ring reopens | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe Welsh gold mine that produced Princess Diana?s wedding ring is set to reopen after nearly 20 years.

The Clogau St David?s mine in North Wales produced three generations of Royals? rings but closed in 1998 as the gold ran out.

Backers now believe there may be lucrative areas to be explored.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Brings up an interesting question, in addition to Diana's engagement ring, did Kate also get Diana's wedding band?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

AFAIK she did not but a new ring was created from Welsh gold sourced from other mines.

Duch_Luver_4ever

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

I would imagine that William and Harry have it among their possessions.

Duch_Luver_4ever

TLLK

Well with William using  the engagement ring, IMO  it would be better if Harry's bride received the wedding band or could choose to use it in another way. :)

Kritter

Harry should not give that ring to his bride anymore than William should have given Kate the ring of doom.

Duch_Luver_4ever

AFAIK Meghan is having a wedding band made for her with the welsh gold from scratch. As for giving the ring to Kate, its complex, I think as time goes on, ppl feel, myself included that its a relic of a cursed marriage. But at the time, ppl were still smarting over Diana gone, and with William being the first to marry, ppl naturally thought about how nice it would have been for her to see it, so I think it was a way to give a nod to her.

Even I have to admit when I see it on her sometimes its a happy reminder, other times it makes me long for the original owner to still have it, so like a lot of things Diana, its not cut and dried.

Curryong

I understand why William gave Kate his mother's ring, but I really wish he hadn't. I'm not terribly superstitious about possessions like jewellery, but for me that ring is such a symbol of hopes crushed, of spurned love, and longterm misery and anguish, that it's just tainted in my eyes I'm afraid. 

As for Diana's wedding band I'm sure I read somewhere that Charles had it after her death and wore it on his pinky until he married again.

TLLK

@Curryong-Interesting information regarding Diana's wedding band. Thank you for sharing it.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: Curryong on January 07, 2018, 02:29:48 AM
I understand why William gave Kate his mother's ring, but I really wish he hadn't. I'm not terribly superstitious about possessions like jewellery, but for me that ring is such a symbol of hopes crushed, of spurned love, and longterm misery and anguish, that it's just tainted in my eyes I'm afraid. 

As for Diana's wedding band I'm sure I read somewhere that Charles had it after her death and wore it on his pinky until he married again.

That sounds familiar @Curryong as I recall it was a mixed reaction to him wearing it. Could it be that his grinch like heart had a faint touch of guilt over how things turned out, or was it a PR stunt from the land of Bolland? I remember that whole Charles the widower foolishness they tried to spin.