Camilla & the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Contest Reception at BP - 21st Nov 2017

Started by TLLK, November 22, 2017, 12:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

QuoteThe competition is used by individuals and teachers to build confidence, develop writing skills, support creativity and encourage critical thinking, using literacy to empower young people to become global citizens.
Duchess of Cornwall hosts a reception at Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online

QuoteCamilla was on hand to hold a reception for winners of The Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition at Buckingham Palace in London.

amabel

Its very interesting that Camilla seems so inot reading and writing issues. I hadn't pegged her when first I hearda bout her, as someone who was fond of reading but it appears that she has a genuine love of books... whch I can always like in somone

sandy

She is sponsoring this program, how much reading she actually does is subject to speculation.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on November 27, 2017, 05:52:27 AM
Its very interesting that Camilla seems so inot reading and writing issues. I hadn't pegged her when first I hearda bout her, as someone who was fond of reading but it appears that she has a genuine love of books... whch I can always like in somone
Yes I agree that it is a very important cause to champion @amabel. With her love of reading and patron of the National Literacy Trust, she is an excellent choice to be involved with of the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition IMO.

Nuttinut

I regret not going to see. I would like to see a lot. But i do not have time

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on November 27, 2017, 03:53:37 PM
Yes I agree that it is a very important cause to champion @amabel. With her love of reading and patron of the National Literacy Trust, she is an excellent choice to be involved with of the Queen's Commonwealth Essay Competition IMO.
I must say that Camil'as charity interests are good ones, literacy, helping women etc. and of course Osteoporois...

TLLK

I agree @amabel. I especially admire her work with women who are victims of human trafficking.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Its a good charity for her to do, its important, im sure Charles is fond of books, and it keeps her out of any direct comparisons to Diana's charity legacy, so win all around.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

Camilla IMO is no Oprah Winfrey as far as promoting reading is concerned. Oprah is really the best at it.

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on November 28, 2017, 04:46:33 PM
Its a good charity for her to do, its important, im sure Charles is fond of books, and it keeps her out of any direct comparisons to Diana's charity legacy, so win all around.
Yes considering that teen and adult illiteracy continues to be an issue in the UK and many other nations, I believe that this remains an important cause that needs to be highlighted.

Illiterate Britain: 1 in 20 adults have reading age of a 5-year-old ? RT UK News

QuoteA quarter of British adults have literacy levels so low they would struggle to read a bus timetable, new research has found.

Government figures indicate some 28 percent of UK adults are at literacy level 1 or below, the equivalent to GCSE grades of D to G. A pass grade for GCSE level is considered to be a C or above.

Research by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation (JRF) found 5 million adults lack basic reading, writing and numeracy skills deemed necessary to carry out a job.

England is among the worst performing countries in the OECD, with roughly one in 20 adults found to have the literacy and numeracy levels of a five-year-old.

Camilla is the patron of the National Literacy Trust which aims to meet the literacy needs of disadvantaged children and teens. National Literacy Trust
QuoteWe work to improve the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in the UK's poorest communities, where up to 40% of people have literacy problems.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Good post @TLLK  while I know some people dont like her, and im not running out to get her xmas cards, she does need to do something charitable, so id rather she do something like this than doing children, HIV or landmines, etc. upsetting Diana fans, (even I freaked out when I heard she was patron at Diana's old hospital patronage, so id rather this by far).
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

@Duch_Luver_4ever -You have a very reasonable attitude toward Camilla's patronages and duties. As the wife of the heir and future consort to the next King of the UK, she has to have patronages. Literacy is something that impacts everyone and illiteracy has a negative impact on people who are unable to read the a bus timetable or follow the directions on their prescription medicine. It's an excellent cause to champion and IMO she's a good fit for it.

Kritter

This is something the schools should have already taken care of. Does she buy them books etc. or does she just stop in & tell them to read more?

TLLK

This is information about the National Literacy Trust. Camilla is their patron so her role is to promote and highlight what the NLT can offer through its literacy hubs and other programs in lower income communities.

https://literacytrust.org.uk/-They provide support for families with early literacy programs aimed at infants to pre-schoolers, support for primary and secondary school students, and adults who have low literacy levels. This would also include new adult immigrants learning English and  even a new writing system. Some of whom may never have been literate in their primary language ie: Women from nations which limit or even prohibit education for females.

Kritter

The UK seems to have a lot of "charities" that provide for things that government agencies or schools in particular should be providing. I have noticed that many of W&K's charities are the same.

Do you know if the Church of England does any charitable activities that help the communities?

Curryong

British Government agencies do a lot for their citizens, including schoolchildren. Britain was, after all, the first welfare state in the world. Charitable organisations fill some of the gaps.

The Anglican Church has many many charities. Anglicare is probably the best known.
Three quarters of the way down this article are a couple of paragraphs on what the Anglican community does to help others.

What has the Church of England ever done for us? - Telegraph

TLLK

QuoteBritish Government agencies do a lot for their citizens, including schoolchildren. Britain was, after all, the first welfare state in the world. Charitable organisations fill some of the gaps.
:goodpost: :nod:
Yes and I know when it comes to school aged children, they're there to provide additional support beyond the scope typically filled by schools particularly when taxpayer supported programs fall short due to insufficient funding, lack to trained professionals or when there aren't enough pupils with similar concerns to warrant a state funded program. This often happens in rural areas or in very densely crowded urban neighborhoods.

Here's one that caught my attention: The Duchess of Kent is the patron of this organization that lends woodwind instruments to children and young people who cannot afford them. (With a son who is his school marching band, I know how expensive some of the instruments can be and it is very difficult for our band director to replace them.)

Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme - About Benslow Music Instrument Loan Scheme

Helping families with chronically ill children-https:// https://www.wellchild.org.uk//-Prince Henry of Wales-Patron

Assistance for children with developmental delays The Brainwave Centre | Home -Patron The Countess of Wessex

QuoteThe Anglican Church has many many charities. Anglicare is probably the best known.
Three quarters of the way down this article are a couple of paragraphs on what the Anglican community does to help others.

Excellent article @Curryong. We had the opportunity to meet some of the volunteers who proudly and cheerfully shared the history of their local parish church or soaring cathedral this summer. To read that so many across the UK commend their local parishes for the good they provide their communities was encouraging.  :)

Kritter

Just as in the USA when there are homeless or a need for Food Banks then the government is not doing their job

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on November 30, 2017, 03:51:05 AM
British Government agencies do a lot for their citizens, including schoolchildren. Britain was, after all, the first welfare state in the world. Charitable organisations fill some of the gaps.

The Anglican Church has many many charities. Anglicare is probably the best known.

I think that Germany had social insurance before Britain....

TLLK

Interesting that there are 9 European constitutional monarchies and principalities besides the UK  with rather generous  social welfare programs:Spain,  Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and Lichtenstein that also utilize upon charitable organizations to fill the gaps too. Some of these nations are often considered to be among the most prosperous on the planet.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on November 30, 2017, 06:25:34 AM
Interesting that there are 9 European constitutional monarchies and principalities besides the UK  with rather generous  social welfare programs:Spain,  Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco and Lichtenstein that also utilize upon charitable organizations to fill the gaps too. Some of these nations are often considered to be among the most prosperous on the planet.

Personaly I don't think that state agencies do very well at their work, it is all bureaucacy nad inefficiency...and many charities if they are small and have dedicated workers are better. 
and as a book lover I support anyting that gets people to read

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on November 30, 2017, 05:29:37 AM
I think that Germany had social insurance before Britain....

Yes it did, and several European nations, including Britain  had specific legislation that assisted certain sectors of  the population, the sick, unemployed, disabled etc, before WW1 and between the wars.

It was Britain though, in the late 1940s that laid down a whole framework of assistance for its population, especially in the areas of health and education. It was regarded as almost cradle to grave care and within years proved unaffordable as the idealistic Atlee Govt had vastly underestimated the cost.

However the NHS was an extremely brave social experiment, especially by a financially stretched country just after a crushing war, and I believe it is something to be proud of.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Most post war economies failed to take into account inter-generational demographics, and to push/convince that generations current middle age adults to buy into the proposed programs, they failed to make it self sustaining and used the glut of baby boomer entries into the workforce to pay for it on a pay as you go system, but failed to take into account that populations would decline, and now we have situations where many of these programs will go bust as the baby boomers leave the workforce and retire, leaving post baby boomer generations in the lurch.

TLLK

^^^ @Duch_Luver_4ever Yes my husband's family in Germany are currently facing the scenario that you have described.

Trudie

As much as I am not a fan of Camilla and that is well known here, Literacy is important and I applaud Camilla for bringing the issue forward especially books not a kindle. Growing up here in the states there was a program called Reading is Fundamental and used books would be collected and distributed among poorer communities via a bus stocked with them. I'm sure if something like this were adopted Camilla would even drive the bus. I am an avid reader and to me growing up I would rather read than do anything else there is something special getting lost in a good story but more importantly you can educate yourself further if you can't afford Uni or college to become a well read person.