Majority of Belgians want to remain a monarchy

Started by TLLK, September 23, 2017, 05:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Curryong

Unfortunately, within Belgium there are 'issues' between the Flemish part of the population in Flanders and the Walloon/French sectors. Sometimes the Flemish regions feel a bit hard done by and unfortunately this impacts on the Belgian Royal family. All in all, although a bit low, these figures aren't too bad for the monarchy. A rule of thumb in polling is that in any referenda above half of the 'don't knows' generally opt for the status quo, which brings the pro monarchy figures up into the mid 60%s.

amabel

I undertstand that the Monarchy is one of the things holding the 2 facitions of the country together, so I imagine ti will go on.  The RF are reasonably popular, and respectabele.. and they are a uniting factor.  the country is very small to split inot the Flemihs and French areas.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 23, 2017, 05:46:54 AM
Unfortunately, within Belgium there are 'issues' between the Flemish part of the population in Flanders and the Walloon/French sectors. Sometimes the Flemish regions feel a bit hard done by and unfortunately this impacts on the Belgian Royal family. All in all, although a bit low, these figures aren't too bad for the monarchy. A rule of thumb in polling is that in any referenda above half of the 'don't knows' generally opt for the status quo, which brings the pro monarchy figures up into the mid 60%s.
TBH Having knowledge of the  issues that you mentioned above, I expected the percentage that wanted a republic to be higher.  I expect there was a little happy dancing going on at Laken when they saw the results of that poll.