20 years after Princess Diana's death - Keeping her Legend alive

Started by sara8150, August 31, 2017, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm Documentary (2013) - YouTube

Its about royal servants in general, but  PB is there, and he spills id imagine for the boys an embarrassing tidbit about Diana feeling it was time the boys saw naked ladies and she sent him out to buy  skin mags for them.

While he might be trying to make Diana sound like the cool mom, and its not like they could go to the newsshop themselves and get them like a regular lad,  im sure its something had she been alive, shed not wanted him to talk about.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

SophieChloe

IMO Boomerang Burrell strikes again.  Dignity man, dignity. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

royalanthropologist

LOL "Boomerang Burrell" . I like that :lol: I can imagine Diana trying to stuff him in a box but he keeps springing up to say something :hehe:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Diana's little trip to her mother and stepfather's sheep station (ranch)  in NSW before THE wedding is pretty well forgotten nowadays. However, in commemoration of her death most Aussie magazines had Diana on their covers in August and this little article from the Oz edition of Who magazine is from it.

The Ian 'Molly' Meldrum mentioned here is an Aussie music icon, as he fostered and helped hundreds of Australian music acts as well as fronted 'Countdown' a music programme no one missed for nearly two decades on Aussie TV. He interviewed virtually every international act during those years.

He's a very quirky man and stutters a lot as the words come tumbling out. He interviewed Charles once in the Countdown years, stumbling over his words and causing dozens of retakes.

I'm glad to read his memories of having met the young Diana, who, of course, wanted to visit his home. (He shared a flat with a transsexual friend for many years.)

Also fun to read that Diana didn't like fish and chips much. We know she slimmed down so much for her wedding. Also that her height was remarked on so much in those early days. Of course there weren't too many nearly six foot goddesses walking about in the early 1980's! I miss her so much and wish she was still around to visit Aus, where she was always welcome.

Inside Diana?s Australian escape | WHO Magazine Australia

sandy

Diana's mother discussed this time period via her authorized biographer

michelle0187

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on September 03, 2017, 05:21:14 PM
Serving the Royals: Inside the Firm Documentary (2013) - YouTube

Its about royal servants in general, but  PB is there, and he spills id imagine for the boys an embarrassing tidbit about Diana feeling it was time the boys saw naked ladies and she sent him out to buy  skin mags for them.

While he might be trying to make Diana sound like the cool mom, and its not like they could go to the newsshop themselves and get them like a regular lad,  im sure its something had she been alive, shed not wanted him to talk about.

I wish the vid was working. I  never thought in a million years that Di would give them nude mags at any age.

TLLK

^^^Well..different people do have different ideas about what is appropriate when it comes to parenting and teens, but I do agree that she would not have been pleased to know that Burrell was sharing this type of family news with the public.

Curryong

Much as I love Diana and think that in most ways she was an excellent and loving mum, I do feel that was a step too far in the direction of 'I'm your friend not your parent' trap that a lot of parents fall into.

I'm the reverse of a prude. In many ways I know I'm more liberal than my adult children, (certain forms of censorship for instance.) However I wouldn't have done this. Just leave your teen sons in a place where they can feel that thrill of reading magazines that are a bit naughty and can joke/discuss them with their mates if so inclined, without input from you, would be my advice.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I know Diana liked fish and chips best when they were wrapped in the newspaper, so maybe it was that, but I think it was more that she didnt want anyone, if she was bulimic, saying she ate a huge amount of fish and chips, etc. Until she admitted bulimia, the story was she was so busy she didnt get to eat much (chasing a bit of chicken around a plate) she said about the lunch engagements she went to.

Also when you look at the 81-82ish period she was more anorexic than bulimic as she shrank so much (before you all get on me about diagnoses, she herself said, bulimia was a "secret" disease in that you dont shrink, well she shrank a lot then). She had said she wanted to disappear, and perhaps food was a means of having some control over her life during some big events.

As for the nudie mags, while i can understand the logistical constraints the boys were under, it would have been better(and this is me speaking with experience as a young lad) for maybe one of the male figures to either discretely do that (bodyguard, burell, etc although maybe she thought he he wasnt the best judge of the female form LOLZ).

Most boys usually find their father/older brothers/etc stash as their first time, so maybe Burell could have arranged for his kids to "accidentally" leave them at W&H room, r something.

She also bought some for James Hewitt and his men during the gulf war, and had them smuggled into Saudi Arabia/Kuwait, wherever he was stationed via diplomatic bag/post.

She did have a cheeky side for sure,and I see where @Curryong  is coming from on the parent as friend thing.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

Loved the little trip to Australia and the anecdote about fish and chips in newspaper. I think that is why Diana was sometimes called "classless". She really had no problem stepping out of her social class and status to engage with ordinary  people.

As for the lad's mags, I am in no position to critique her parenting skills because I do not know exactly what was happening. I hear that the vast majority of men who work in those palaces are either gay or bi. Perhaps she wanted to check  what was going on, just in case she gets blamed for turning the children gay. Before anyone attacks me, I have heard it before where parents (particularly women) are blamed for turning their children's orientation.

In any case she had nothing to worry about. William is the faithful-husband type and Harry is just Harry. Lol :hehe:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 13, 2017, 01:34:45 AM
^^^Well..different people do have different ideas about what is appropriate when it comes to parenting and teens, but I do agree that she would not have been pleased to know that Burrell was sharing this type of family news with the public.
well perhaps people should not read his rubbish  and deprive him of an audience.

sandy

Quote from: Curryong on September 13, 2017, 02:38:27 AM
Much as I love Diana and think that in most ways she was an excellent and loving mum, I do feel that was a step too far in the direction of 'I'm your friend not your parent' trap that a lot of parents fall into.

I'm the reverse of a prude. In many ways I know I'm more liberal than my adult children, (certain forms of censorship for instance.) However I wouldn't have done this. Just leave your teen sons in a place where they can feel that thrill of reading magazines that are a bit naughty and can joke/discuss them with their mates if so inclined, without input from you, would be my advice.

Diana only had one teen son ( a near teen son) at the time she died. I had read it was only William that she got the magazines for.

She also wanted her sons to earn money or at least understand the concept. They did wash cars at the home and did other "chores" around the house. She also encouraged them to be interested in charity work. She was not just "buddy buddy" with her sons.

Duch_Luver_4ever

[Edited]

Their actual age at the time doesnt matter, even if there was some legal statue barring the purchase of them for ppl of a certain age, she long past any prosecution, honestly im trying to search for a reason the ages matter and its the only one i can think of, as improbable it was in those days, today, well they throw the book at parents for anything now.

[Edited]

Just like its fine our opinion is that, esp. with William she was more of a friend and blurred the boundaries with what he had to deal with in the separation/divorce. Some of that should be been borne by adult friends/family,not her child, but it does happen a lot in divorces, so one can see why it happened.

[Edited]

sandy

I am just reporting what I read (I have to look them up) but I remember that William was the one with the magazines. Burrell may just have gotten it wrong. I still have to check my sources. And it was in some of the threads some years ago. But I did read it.

Harry was technically a "tween" . From what I read Harry was more sheltered than William so much so when Camilla was mentioned on TV Harry said "Camilla who?"

It is a fact that Harry was 12 when his mother died. It would have been nice for Diana to have had two teenage sons and be around then and for the rest of their lives.

I disagree totally she was more of a friend to William. She established boundaries according to what she had said in interviews and so on.

[edited]

Trudie

Actually Duch I remember reading the same thing put out at the time. It was only William not Harry.  As for the doc Paul Burrell is the last person to listen too now he is now twisting existing stories thinking the most people have short memories. [Edited]

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think you two would disagree with me if I said the sky was blue. If by faulty memory, you mean the numerous times ive shown evidence one or both of you were wrong, yeah, you keep telling yourself that.  :partaay:

FanDianaFancy

PD  was a  parent and not  a  buddypalfriend to her sons.

Homosexual Burrell,  who knows if this is true  or not. PD  is dead  and  cannot speak for herself.  She is the gift that keeps  on givng with new and untold  stories  yearly as  if  she  were alive.  Can  we  please  say  MONEY!!!!
Homosexual Burrell has  sold  PD  10  times  for 100  pieces of silver since her  death, ok.
MONEY!!!!!!

sandy

Burrell embellished his stories this year especially when he talked about the time after Diana died. I think he is going to write another book. I thought he was so very happy and looking forward to his wedding.

Junor is the prime one who takes pot shots at Diana's parenting. Diana indeed was a parent who was trying to instill a sense of work ethic and structure to her sons's lives.

Trudie

Sorry Duch but you are wrong again regarding Sandy's posts. I knew I remembered reading about this and yes I did find the references  Paul Burrell was paid 300.000 pounds the equivalent of $620,000 for an interview back in 2002 after the collapse of his trial. The articles were printed in The Guardian Newspaper November 6, 2002 and in Desertnews on November 7, 2002 and in the Belfast Telegraph a few days later. Burrell stated he was sent by Diana to buy the magazines for William now fast forward to this year and now it was both. IMO Diana didn't buy the magazines nor do I think she asked Burrell to do so at the time of these revelations he was disgraced and broke and as he has proven will either be false or embellish stories about Diana to make money.  Your Welcome Duch

SophieChloe

[gmod]This thread has been locked for Housekeeping. [/gmod]
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me