20 years after Princess Diana's death - Keeping her Legend alive

Started by sara8150, August 31, 2017, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Princess Diana mourners CHEATED by street vendor in Paris who sells 'eternal love locks' then REMOVES them from memorial
Princess Diana mourners CHEATED by street vendor in Paris | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2017, 02:33:57 PM

'Twenty years ago the world lost an angel': Sir Elton John leads tributes to 'truly remarkable' Princess Diana as emotional fans gather to pay their respects in London and Paris
Elton John leads tributes to Princess Diana on anniversary | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2017, 02:40:49 PM

Public marks 20 years since Princess Diana's death
Public marks 20 years since Princess Diana's death - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2017, 02:42:12 PM

Princess Diana to be remembered at Aids hospital as friends and fans mark 20th anniversasry of her death
Princess Diana to be remembered at Aids hospital as friends and fans mark 20th anniversasry of her death

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2017, 02:44:11 PM

The world honours 'extraordinary' Diana: Tears & tributes as public mark Princess' death
Princess Diana: 20th anniversary of her tragic death is honoured by fans across the world | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2017, 07:04:12 PM

The return of Diana-mania: Masses of flowers pile up at Kensington Palace as fans pay tribute on 20th anniversary of her death
Elton John leads tributes to Princess Diana on anniversary | Daily Mail Online

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thanks for sharing those, I liked the pics from the DM, was nice to see the prayer, and people who wouldnt have been alive 20 years ago, and so many people just coming together, she probably would have liked that.

While it wasnt as big as 20 years ago, think of any other past royals that have been gone 20 years, and did they get any kind of gathering like this on their anniversary of passing?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

This is a quite extraordinary article on Diana. I'm not sure that I agree with much of it though the writer clearly admires Diana. Nevertheless, it's thought provoking!

Diana was our society?s warning to women | Bidisha | Opinion | The Guardian

royalanthropologist

There is an interesting duality of perspectives on this and I see it when people are talking about Diana. Some say she was imprisoned by her husband and his family yet others say that they cut her off too brutally. On one hand some say she was free of the monarchy/patriarchy yet on the other there are some who said that monarchy/patriarchy was cruel in letting her go. Patrick Jepherson is a prime example. He says it was all the fault of the queen for not insisting that Diana takes palace security, despite Diana's express wish not to have that security.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sara8150

Elton John, Rita Wilson and More Stars Remember Princess Diana on the 20th Anniversary of Her Death
Stars Remember Princess Diana on the 20th Anniversary of Her Death

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:38:43 PM

Cindy Crawford Recalls Meeting Princess Diana at Kensington Palace: 'It Was Like Talking to a Girlfriend'
Cindy Crawford Shares Memories of Princess Diana
Duke of Cambridge mentions on his mom's documents about supermodels intive tea and he got awkwardly 😁

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:46:55 PM

Diana's Boys: How Prince William and Prince Harry Keep Their Mom's Memory Alive
Princess Diana with Prince William and Prince Harry

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:48:23 PM

Elton John leads tributes to 'angel' Princess Diana on 20th death anniversary
Elton John leads tributes to Princess Diana on 20th anniversary

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:51:09 PM

Diana's greatest fashion triumphs: How the Princess's clever style choices made the camera love her
Getty curator Melanie Hough reveals Diana's style choices | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:54:33 PM

'It was like talking to a girlfriend': Cindy Crawford pays tribute to Princess Diana as she recalls time the royal invited her to tea
Cindy Crawford pays tribute to late Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:57:30 PM

Twenty years to the day... the flowers, cards and tears flow all over again: ROBERT HARDMAN on the curious crowds of mourners who gathered outside Kensington Palace to remember Princess Diana
Princess Diana mourners gather outside Kensington Palace | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 12:59:19 PM

Diana's wedding dress designer David Emanuel slams her former butler Paul Burrell for selling her private secrets and says 'I never met him in hundreds of visits to her home
David Emanuel slams Paul Burrell over Diana secrets | Daily Mail Online
Shocking of former butler sicko!

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 01:13:44 PM

Elton John Remembers Princess Diana 20 Years After Her Death With Sweet Throwback Photo
Elton John Remembers Princess Diana 20 Years After Her Death - Us Weekly

Curryong

I was just looking at what David Emmanuel said about never meeting Paul Burrell at Diana's home. I'm sure Burrell was lurking around there somewhere, but the ever-loyal butler  :lol: seems to be losing the plot.

A couple of days ago in the Express Burrell was stating that the driver on that fatal night, Henri Paul, 'couldn't have been drunk' because if he had been the security guard Trevor Rees Jones would have stopped him from driving. Has he forgotten that Rees Jones was way down the pecking order of the Al Fayed minions at the Ritz and didn't have any authority to order anyone to do anything?

Now in the Emmanuel article we learn that Paul has hoovered up another $10,000 after allowing himself to be interviewed by a hypnotist and speaking about Diana's 'soft body' (after death) and again how he helped with her bulimia. He would do everyone a favour if he'd just shut up!

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on September 01, 2017, 02:39:27 PM
I was just looking at what David Emmanuel said about never meeting Paul Burrell at Diana's home. I'm sure Burrell was lurking around there somewhere, but the ever-loyal butler  :lol: seems to be losing the plot.

A couple of days ago in the Express Burrell was stating that the driver on that fatal night, Henri Paul, 'couldn't have been drunk' because if he had been the security guard Trevor Rees Jones would have stopped him from driving. Has he forgotten that Rees Jones was way down the pecking order of the Al Fayed minions at the Ritz and didn't have any authority to order anyone to do anything?

Now in the Emmanuel article we learn that Paul has hoovered up another $10,000 after allowing himself to be interviewed by a hypnotist and speaking about Diana's 'soft body' (after death) and again how he helped with her bulimia. He would do everyone a favour if he'd just shut up!

I'm agreed with you!! Paul Burrell need his mouth shut up and zip it!! 🤐 And let Diana Rest In Peace!

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 03:38:05 PM

Mourners Weep as They Honor Princess Diana at Kensington Palace and Site of Fatal Crash
Mourners Remember Princess Diana at Site of Fatal Crash

sandy

Quote from: Curryong on September 01, 2017, 02:39:27 PM

Mohammed Al Fayed paid Rees Jones a salary to be security guard. He and Henri Paul were the two in that car employed by Al Fayed not by Dodi. The job responsibilities of a security guard include keeping people he is guarding from dangerous or life threatening situations. No matter how far down in the pecking order Rees Jones was paid to do this. Whatever happened that night, most of the details have been forgotten by Rees Jones. He has amnesia. But I do wonder why a man "drunk" was allowed to get behind the wheel.  Dodi defied his father's orders and insisted they leave the Ritz. Mohammed AL Fayed wanted them to stay there overnight. I think if Rees Jones felt any danger to his charges he should have stopped the car from leaving and kept Paul away from the steering wheel. Also checked to see all safety devices worked. So many unanswered questions here. Anybody with common sense (even a person in a bar seeing someone drunk headed to the car) would stop the person even taking away the car keys if necessary.  Rees Jones could have been negligent but he can't be questioned since he does not remember.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I smell a future celebrity boxing match, gawd, these two make royal knockout seem like Shakespeare in the park. Two old queens having it out in the press, stop for a second and think about who you claim to care about.

Speaking of Fayeds, Was watching a doc from the early 90s and my blood ran cold as Diana was giving awards at a polo match and stood for the group pic and whos beside her but Mohammad El Fayed. How blissfully ignorant we would have been then of how their fates would meet again. I know as the owner of harrods its not in the realm of impossibility that hed be there, just one of those little things that now tugs at the heart.

The security was a cuck up, Dodi's indecisiveness, either as a mild withdrawal  as he was having to hide his nose candy use from Diana and had arranged to get more that night, or just the paps rattling him, it was a mess. TRJ causes a lot of questions from his seatbelt use, which is a no no for bodyguards, to his well timed "amnesia". I think he knows a good memory is a quick route to disaster for him.

MAF just comes off so unsympathetic and unbelievable, given the way he handled the security, i dont think he cared one way or the other where they went that night.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

I think Dodi felt he wanted to "rebel" against Dad that night. His father controlled the purse strings. But he picked the wrong time to rebel. His father should have been listened to. AL Fayed told Dodi to stay at the Ritz and Dodi wanted to bring Diana to his apartment. Had AL Fayed been there I think they would have stayed put. Dodi would have not even tried to rebel.

I think Dodi was off the drugs when he met Diana. Diana had a dislike for drugs and would have stayed away from him.

I think it was an age old conflict of father and son. Al Fayed was a friend of DIana's father. So he was no stranger to her. I wonder what John Spencer would have thought of all this.

sara8150

F1 star Lewis Hamilton pens tribute poem for Princess Diana
F1 star Lewis Hamilton pens tribute poem for Princess Diana

Double post auto-merged: September 01, 2017, 11:33:39 PM

Lewis Hamilton turns to toe-curling POETRY to pay tribute to Diana in the most excruciating tribute yet to the late princess
F1 icon Lewis Hamilton writes poem about Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online

Duch_Luver_4ever

Quote from: Curryong on September 01, 2017, 06:07:06 AM
This is a quite extraordinary article on Diana. I'm not sure that I agree with much of it though the writer clearly admires Diana. Nevertheless, it's thought provoking!

Diana was our society?s warning to women | Bidisha | Opinion | The Guardian

Ugh, massive eye roll on this article. I must get my notes that me and my fellow patriarchy members had for our ultra double-secret meetings  twenty years ago about what had to be done about that pesky Diana, please.....

My first issue was about the pretty but not being sexual remark. Aside from her general upbringing as a well born lady, it had little to do with men hammering out any hint of allure she might dare to show. While they didnt have "s#$% walks" in Diana's time, the fact that she didnt try and replicate madonnas wardrobe or something, should not be something shes either held in less esteem for, or viewed as a "put upon" woman. It had to do with the station in life and institution she represented.

I always viewed it as her greatest benefit that her beauty sprung from the very things she wanted most and was missing often from her life. To be viewed as adorable, lovely, someone one wanted to look after is a very rare thing in this world.

As a man, I can tell you theres no shortage of women that a man can be induced to sleep with, its no claim to power or something to be proud of to induce a man to do that, its like saying you convinced a junkie to shoot heroin, or something ( a tad hyperbole, but you all get the point), but to inspire a man to give of themselves unselfishly, and sit quietly with someone wanting only to tenderly care for them is priceless. (shame her husband didnt feel like that).

Today theres a lot of effort having women and mens sexuality approached equally, but frankly men on the whole are notoriously selfish when it comes to those matters, and someone like Diana who was "above all that" in terms of her physical appeal, speaks credit to her. My apologies to royalanthropoligist, but Camilla was thought of as an "earthy woman" or "seen it all and did most of it" given the choice would most women want to be a Diana or a Camilla?

It might be catty of me, but i think maybe the author is jealous of that quality she had, or that her quality was like someone busting free from the union of the sexual marketplace, like a better worker making the other union hands look bad, worried theyd have to compete on a level they couldnt.

Of course we all sympathize with the raw deal she got with the marriage and treatment by the RF, but depending on your view of who wanted the divorce, and who maneuvered who into it, she didnt get the divorce like the author claims, but rather the Queen forcing it on them( a case of Matriarchal power if ever I saw one^^). Also the author seems to be promoting divorce, and I can tell you as a child of a "frivorce" its not a positive thing. But like the typical guardian contributor, the state is always there to act as surrogate spouse, taking by theft resources from others.

The whole idea of that if you fail to be a "good girl" youre going to get punished by all us card carrying patriarchy members is just pure folly like this "the patriarchal world will shoot you down as a warning to all other women, just as you are making a bid for freedom. " Whats that, oh secret lord commander patriarch, there's a woman who dares open her own door, right, lets roll...c'mon  :thumbsdown:

"a pack of men watching and tirelessly hounding her in the night.

They used motorbikes and cameras to torture her, but underneath these modern gadgets was a warning as old as time: any woman who has the audacity to break her bonds – to speak her truth, supersede her expected role, or go out in public and try to live her life – deserves anything that is done to her physically and mentally. She will be punished for her arrogance, even to death." gawd, this would play up great on campuses now or in Identity Politics Quarterly.

It was the very fact that Diana did speak her truth, try to change the world, etc. etc. she was celebrated for that and needed the media to help her do what she wanted to accomplish. It was a case of financial greed that drove the press, not some secret cabal of men.

Also one forgets who were the vast purchasers of the very magazines, articles, etc. that paid for the product of these packs of photographers???? Women! Let's face it, if it was only up to us men to purchase these, in between trying to put women back in the kitchen. etc. there would have been very few photographers chasing her through the years.

Did Diana get a raw deal in marriage and life, certainly so. Did the press intrude on her life, of course. Was there repercussions for her thumbing the nose at the RF, most assuredly. Did part of her appeal hinge on her representing major archetypes, for sure, for those more tin foil hat in mind, watch David Icke's description of her passing and all the connections to such things.

But was it a massive male generated conspiracy to keep women home to make our sandwiches, iron our "wife-beater" shirts, etc. most certainly not. This is a case of trying to use todays bag of leftist claptrap to explain events from a different time and place. (I remember when the show "Cracker" used the term guardian readers as shorthand for such)

Dont forget the head of the monarchy for the last 70 years has been a woman, but shes likely as well suffering  under the patriarchy, ironing PPs clothes or some nonsense, hoping for a crumb of freedom and constantly cowed fearing the back of his hand. Rubbish.

Diana had far more freedom than previous royals of her day, but she did choose to enter an institution that we all acknowledge is well behind the times. Her troubles stemmed from being in a family position where she was at a marked power disadvantage. Had she been married to a "normal" person most of those problems wouldnt have happened, or if they did, shed have had many more options in dealing with them.

Had she been pursued and or been shot down as a warning to others, it was over her real or perceived threats to the monarchy, and by extension, some claimed politics and or commercial interest such as with landmines, etc. you all know the conspiracy theories. Not as some hysterical response by men everywhere, I have to say, im the exception as far as having a keen interest in her, most men couldnt be bothered, to be honest, to waste our secret meeting time on her, we're too busy trying to keep little green men secret from you all^^.

Im sure lots will have issue with my take on this article, but it just reeks of safe space, trigger warning, new politics hogwash that I feel diminishes Diana and what she accomplished.    :flower:

royalanthropologist

Burrell claims he slept in Diana's clothes and felt her warm corpse. That guy needs lots of counselling and support because that level of obsession is just not healthy.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yes, either way you look at it, its awful. If hes lying, its the worst kind of attention seeking, if its true, its so creepy and OTT. Only her undertaker should be concerned about and describing her corpse.

michelle0187

sandy

. When is he going to marry his partner?  Is he not paying attention to him in all the PR for him now?

royalanthropologist

To be perfectly honest, I would be hesitant to marry someone who admitted to what Burrell has admitted to.

Speaking of honesty, I happened to land on a blog that is unashamedly pro-Diana and anti-Camilla. The name says it all. I may actually disagree with them on many issues, but I admire their honesty. You go there knowing what to expect. There is even a health warning for Camilla fans.

Diana's Legacy

sandy

royalanthropologist

True. I got some Camomille tea on my desk to keep me calm as I read through...lol. The photos of Camilla are just too outrageous...hi hi hi.  :hehe:

But I think they are a nice bunch of people who are doing their thing to remember Diana in their own way. They are fighting for her when she is not here to do it any more. Her sons dare not do it lest papa has "a moment" or "series of moments".  :lol:

sandy

Her sons did speak up for her.  A lot of it seems to be about the movie that did not do well, featuring interviews with Naomi Watts

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on September 02, 2017, 03:48:10 AM
Burrell claims he slept in Diana's clothes and felt her warm corpse. That guy needs lots of counselling and support because that level of obsession is just not healthy.
where did he claim that?  I don't know how he could have, since he didn't get to Paris till many hours after her death..

Curryong

^ Burrell said it in his latest interview, which was linked here. I think he was talking about that extremely warm hospital room in Paris where the dead Diana lay. He brought her Catherine Walker black coat dress and shoes over from KP I believe, in which she was later dressed.

I have a book which goes through minute by minute the sad incidents following Diana's death though I haven't read it for ages. I know it was unbearably hot and stuffy in that room and someone (Diana's chauffeur?) who had come with the distraught Burrell from London realised that  there was no air conditioning and that Charles and Diana's sisters would want to view Diana. I think he was worried about the condition of the body too in the oppressive heat. He therefore rushed around borrowing two or three electric fans. I know Paul Burrell was described by this man as being beside himself, and no doubt the ex butler and 'rock' touched the warm body of his employer and idol during the course of his first mourning.

amabel

I see that I'm very wise for not reading anything by Burrell or most of the "usual suspects".  Even for him, that's pretty unpleasant. I know that Colin Tebbut who went to paris with him, described Burrell as being in "basket case" state.. Again I wish he had remained quiet about Burrels' state of mind.  If he was "beside himself" it would have been kinder to say nothing..

royalanthropologist

I used to feel sorry for Burrell because his professional life with the royals had effectively ended when he worked with Diana. Now that she was dead, they were going to freeze him out as well (none of Diana's supporters have any jobs in Clarence House or the other royal households).

The problem is that he went too far and was speaking almost as if he was her brother when really he was just a trusted employee. The payment for tit bits of personal information was also rather unedifying. Certainly the dressing in a dead woman's clothes and describing her warm corpse is really beyond the pale IMO.

amabel

How wise they were not to keep him. I think the spencers were also snobbisih with him, and that inflamed his wild side.  But I think it is obvious that the man's as fruity as a bag of apples and the RF surely didn't want him working for them any more. Why would you blame them for not taking on someone who was not only a supporter of an ex royal who had been at odds with them but who was so crazy?