King Charles III (film)

Started by Mike, May 16, 2017, 07:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Charles III - Wikipedia(film)

I just saw the PBS version and was very taken up with the plot.  Diana appearing to Charles and both sons was very interesting.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

sandy

Too bad Tim Piggott Smith passed on. A fine actor.

Curryong

^ Odd wasn't it that the casting director hinted that some actors who were approached to appear in 'King Charles III' backed off and said they'd rather not, as they had an eye out for future elevations, (knighthoods, Damehoods etc) in the Queen's Birthday Honours!

royalanthropologist

I actually thought the film was a lot of dross; a kind of republican's wet dream of a monarchy in chaos (not going to happen). I would also caution those that imagine that leap frogging or dethroning Charles is going to be a triumph. On the day that happens, the seeds of the end of the monarchy will be irreversibly sown. Once you set a precedent that a vocal (and often irrational) minority can deny a king or queen their title; it becomes moot point as to when someone will make a very good argument that if you can get rid of one monarch, why not get rid of them all.  X-Factor monarchies can yield some unexpected and unpleasant results.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Those that had no business in that marriage really ought to take a chill pill and get on with their lives. This constant thirst for revenge (Diana's ghost coming back and haunting Charles) is  not healthy behavior. Reminds me of those rather unpleasant exes that will simply not let go, years after the separation. Why continue harping on about something that happen years ago, where one of the principles has long passed and is no longer interested in things of this world?

As for the actors and gongs, you can hardly expect to be honored if you participate in such a treasonous project as this film. Horrendous people who glory in the death of the queen and the ultimate betrayal of a father by his own son need a lot of help. Then you have this attempt to turn a perfectly sensible woman like Kate Middleton into a kind of Lady Macbeth. Very poor characterization that has no basis in actual life. The entire thing was terribly conceived, although the actors tried their best.  No stars for this one. There are much more interesting royal films to make.  :thumbsdown:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Diana had moved on. 

The play is fiction. Tim Piggott Smith will be missed--a fine actor. He first came to the public's attention as the villain in the miniseries the Jewel in the Crown.

LouisFerdinand

Is a coronation of Charles III shown in this film?

Curryong

British sovereigns aren't crowned immediately their predecessor dies. I thought this play/film took place in the weeks after the Queen's funeral. I don't think a Coronation was involved.

amabel

its only an hour long isn't it?  I missed it the night it was on and was taping something else so I coudnt' tape it.  I am sure it wil be on British tv again soon

Duch_Luver_4ever

***Spoilers Ahead, be warned***

I've posted a link in the Diana board, were going to hopefully have a sticky on there for all the plethora of 2017 specials and docs about her, and while she makes a small "appearance" here, I added it due to the events surrounding her involved in the plot of it.

On the show itself, it was interesting trying to have the "Shakespearean" feel to it. Im imagining the shows creators felt they touched on a possible turn of events.

As far as the BBC, im rather surprised at them, one can only think they seem to be going between skating between public opinion and courting the royal family, depending on what side they think their bread will be buttered on best. They must now be feeling that despite the current resurgence of the RF, they seem to be turning towards public opinion again.

While Diana fans may rejoice at seeing Charles get the full "uncle David" treatment, pilloried and  denied his life long prize after a scathing condemnation by William(my fav part), I was also remembering it wasnt too many years ago that the same BBC nixed a 400,000 pound documentary on Diana's tenth anniversary when they felt currying Royal favor was more important.....

One could almost think of it as the "sequel" to the panorama interview, as something like this wouldnt have the possible traction of the country's main broadcaster making a show like this without Diana putting the idea in our heads from that interview, albeit obliquely....

I can see why some actors would have steered clear of this project, as I could see where some might feel it somewhat treasonous, at the very least, im sure not the best way to get on the PoW dinner guest list :lol:.

Shame about Tim Piggott Smith's passing, I remember him as Commander Creedy from V for Vendetta, while it was fictional, I was left wondering why Charles didnt just use the law that lets him keep custody of the heirs to the crown to keep everyone around, but as they say, then there'd be no story....

While Kate was certainly the "villain" I liked the explanation of her motives, helped round out her character, and make her less the stereotypical over-ambitious wife(not to mention shes way better looking than the real Kate). While the flow of the show was anti Charles, I would have liked to see Camilla have a similar thing, to add some complexity to the views presented of the characters as William got his while having it out with Charles.

Harry was a clumsy add on that gave little to the show, perhaps its the writers view of him IRL, IDK?

All round im glad I saw it, was an interesting watch, as much as it takes a poke at Charles, it also does show some of his motives for what he did in a positive light rather than a cardboard cutout, and it was interesting the difference between his ideas and how HM handles similar situations.

I also thought it drew somewhat from the abdication of Edward the VIII, as while the marriage of Wallace is commonly thought of as the only or main cause, it was the delicate balance between monarch and government with such things as supporting the plight of welsh miners that ultimately cost him the crown, as much as we like to think the procession of kings and queen is strictly heredity, at least in modern times, its as much a dance between that and govt and the CoE, albeit the CoE has less sway now as ppl are overall less religious. 

But if life were to imitate art, it wouldnt be the worst thing in MY world, anyway, :royalsneeze:  :happy17: sorry @royalanthropologist I can understand why it would not be one of your fav shows.    :flower:

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

I have to confess having rewatched the film @Duch_Luver_4ever. Perhaps I was a bit unfair on the actors. They did their best and the movie is not as bad as its reviews. However, I hasten to say that it has very little to do with predictions but instead has plenty of conjecture. I think the characters are overdone. For example, I do not for one moment think that Charles is a mindless buffoon who simply follows. The man does have ambitions and occasionally a ruthless streak. I also do not think that Kate is a Lady Macbeth. She is more of a step-ford wife. Camilla comes across as being quiet and rather passive whereas I suspect that she does control a lot that happens in that household. I for one cannot imagine her supporting the abdication of Prince Charles, not least because it would involve a denigration of her status. I just wish the movie was a bit more rooted in reality.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

sounds like absolute rubbish. Sorry that Tim PS who is a very fine actor, should have this for one of his last roles

Curryong

I saw it last night, Aus time. Thankyou Duch_ for providing those links.  :blowkiss: I wouldn't call it absolute rubbish and some parts I found quite amusing. I think you should give it a look, amabel, before you bag it, really don't think it's fair to bag a contentious play, film, book, if you haven't seen it.

Having said that, though the acting was superb by almost everyone especially Tim, I think there was some serious misreading of royals' characters going on there. Can't remember the writer's name but I did read an interview by him in the Telegraph some months ago in which he said that he had no interest in the BRF but that for some reason he could write about them. I have to say it showed.

Portraying Harry as a lost soul was understandable, I think, because the play was written in the aftermath of the Las Vegas debacle, but Kate as a sharp, enigmatic Lady Macbeth figure, William as so ambitious and eager to preserve the monarchy for himself and his children that he would, even reluctantly, push his father aside? Pleeeeze!

Some scenes were highly amusing, Charles placing the crown on his son's head and then rushing from the Abbey in tears, the British population split in half over a bill proposing diminishing freedom of the Press, Charles entering the Commons, in full uniform no less, to dissolve it!

Nevertheless, there were some interesting questions raised when I watched it, with my son, and Im glad to have seen it.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Youre welcome @Curryong I hope if others come across link for the various Diana specials that have taken place or will take place this year, I hope they post them in the thread I started, Windsor said he'd make it a sticky, so people will have a one stop shop for viewing them all.

I notice that theres a lot of similarity in the opinion of the characters, even some ppl on both sides of the WoW seem to agree. @royalanthropologist hit the nail on the head with the whole Stepford wife analogy, I know there was even some hints that there was a lobotomy scar on Kate IRL, I dont know if thats real or photoshop. While they try to portray William in the best light as possible, he ended up coming across as being led by the nose by Kate, as fun as it was to see him describe Charles fathering and husbandry as sub par, idk if life would imitate art today.

As for Charles, idk if they were trying to make the effect of older age making him dottering at times, but I thought while it in general, took the pi$$ out of him, it also showed his "reasons" which are meant I think to remind the viewers of the black spider letters, and his trying to grasp with the idea of should the crown be used for what he feels is right, how far should he push that, is he "doomed" to do things like his mother by virtue of her years of experience and popularity?

One can feel not only the weight of his years of waiting for the job, but even in getting it, theres still disappointment as hes not able to do it the way hed like to, even as king, theres still doubt over him. Even when hes doing what the govt doesnt agree with, he comes across as someone trying to do what he thinks is right, even if no one else does, and you almost even feel for him, as hes not acting out of some maniacal zeal.

I also agree that I would have liked to see more of Camilla talk to the audience about her desire and reasons for Charles to stick it out. Im sure shed have lots to say about all the grief she went through to get to the top, and how important it was to Charles, that would have been valuable and rich context, no matter what ones opinion of the lady are.

I also thought it was showing some of the "constraints" that Diana alluded to in panorama that he would bump up against. The impression I got, and I dont know if this is so, that it was written for Diana fans,that they would enjoy it the most, and it was almost as if the BBC put this on, in lieu of axing the Diana documentary 10 years ago.

I think they figure this year offers them a window to safely take a jab at them, relatively safely. As humorous it was to watch, id have rathered have the Diana documentary instead.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on June 03, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
I saw it last night, Aus time. Thankyou Duch_ for providing those links.  :blowkiss: I wouldn't call it absolute rubbish and some parts I found quite amusing. I think you should give it a look, amabel, before you bag it, really don't think it's fair to bag a contentious play, film, book, if you haven't seen it.

Portraying Harry as a lost soul was understandable, I think, because the play was written in the
Life's too short.. I don't think that it is using the RF to "point a moral", because it is SO far from the reality of the RF as we know it...
If its on TV again I might catch a bit of it.. but everything people have said seems to point to its beign very silly...
I would love to see a good serious drama about the "triangle" that gives all 3 of them some humanity.. but I don't suppose that's likely to happen