King Harald and Queen Sonja\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s 80th birthday

Started by sara8150, May 08, 2017, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

We have joint two birthday of monarchs Harald and Sonja to celebrate birthday but who comes or not fingers cross for that!!

Kate&Sophie Blogs on Twitter: "HRH The Countess of Wessex will attend birthday celebrations of The King & Queen of Norway https://t.co/gMjOx4CWRN

Double post auto-merged: May 08, 2017, 10:00:24 PM

All Things Royal on Twitter: "A shame Charlene wont attend the birthday celebrations in Oslo. Is it so much to ask to attend an international royal

Double post auto-merged: May 08, 2017, 10:07:45 PM

Join the celebration! - The Royal House of Norway

Double post auto-merged: May 09, 2017, 09:35:33 PM

Queen Sonja and King Harald Celebrate their 80th Birthday
Queen Sonja and King Harald Celebrate their 80th Birthday | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Double post auto-merged: May 09, 2017, 09:36:18 PM

Dinner - King Harald & Queen Sonja celebrate their 80th Birthday
Dinner - King Harald & Queen Sonja celebrate their 80th Birthday | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Curryong

Harald's birthday celebration plans certainly were spectacular. A two day event, a plethora of royals, Norwegians gathering in the cold to sing and cheer, royals gathered in large numbers for a dinner and party. I see the Danes, including Queen Daisy, arrived in their own yacht, and another of my Royal favourites, Maxie, was present as well. No wonder the King is so popular in Norway. It was all televised yesterday and some more will be today I guess. Happy birthday to King Harold!

In spite of your excellent explanation, TLLK, I am still a bit disappointed that Edward, Anne and Tim at least couldn't clear their diaries six months in advance for this. Birthdays aren't movable feasts and the BRF and NRF are closer than most. I'm not surprised by Charlene's absence however. She seems terrified of gatherings of royals, has never really joined in any and looks miserable on the one or two occasions when she has.

TLLK

It was a spectacular gathering tonight and my heart beat a little faster with the tiara parade! :crazylove:

Curryong

^ Yes TLLK. Mine too. I love that sort of glittering gathering and nowadays it's left to the Scandis to show how it's done.

sara8150

How Many Tiaras Can You Count in This Insanely Glam Royal Birthday Photo?
European Royals at King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway's 80th Birthday Celebration

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 03:12:02 AM

The celebration of King Harald and Queen Sonja in Oslo – Day 1
The celebration of King Harald and Queen Sonja in Oslo – Day 1 – Royal Central

Curryong

What a wonderful display of jewellery. I am in heaven! As usual, Sylvia and Maxie rocked the big stuff but Sophie looked fine in her aquamarine. In fact most of the Royal ladies looked at their sparkling best, even if I'm not fond of Sofia's lollipop headdress plus a woman in red who decided not to put on a bra. Don't know who she was. Oh, to be a Royal and get to go to these celebrations. It's the one and only time I really envy their lives.

TLLK

Crown Prince of Norway shaves off his beard during prank | Daily Mail Online

LOL Not something that I'd expect at this type of gathering but apparently Haakon went and shaved sometime during the event! :lol:

Curryong

^ Yes, and we are so used to seeing Haakan with facial hair he looks a bit strange without it IMHO. Younger though. I can imagine the King treating it as a huge joke, but wonder what MM's opinion is!

TLLK

sara8150

Lunch - 80th Birthday celebrations of King Harald & Queen Sonja
Lunch - 80th Birthday celebrations of King Harald & Queen Sonja | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 01:50:18 PM

Countess of Wessex and European royals mark 80th birthdays of Norway's King and Queen
Norway?s King and Queen celebrate birthday with Countess of Wessex and European royals | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 01:51:19 PM

Crown Prince Haakon of Norway shaves off beard halfway through royal birthday party
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway shaves beard halfway through royal birthday celebrations | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 01:56:24 PM

Royal Cruise of the Day: King Harald and Queen Sonja's 80th Birthday
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Cruise of the Day: King Harald and Queen Sonja's 80th Birthday

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 01:57:11 PM

Royal Fashion Awards: King Harald and Queen Sonja's 80th Birthday Gala Banquet
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: King Harald and Queen Sonja’s 80th Birthday Gala Banquet

royalanthropologist

OMG what a display. I hope the Republicans never prosper because we would lose out on such treasures. If only I was the guard at the event, I would insist that nobody was getting out until I had tried on all the bling. :teehee: :lol: Crown Princess Victoria did go for some gigantic earrings (kinda of QM style) and Mette Marie was just a darling in that ensemble. Poor Maxima was caught in a set of unfortunate poses and Princess Beatrix looked rather frail. It is a pity that the snooty British royals sent only Sophie. What the hell was Charles and co doing ??? The Norwegian King is practically their relative for the love of God.  :no:

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 03:49:40 PM

What's up with that tatty woman who was showing her two peaks??? Terrible form when everybody is so well dressed.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Jennifer

The birthday celebrations for King Harold and Queen Sonja were AMAZING! I enjoyed seeing the pictures of the royals dressed up to the nines at the dinner with their jewelry and dresses! I was particularly impressed by Princess Sofia, Crown Princess Victoria, Queen Silva and Queen Margrethe's dresses. I think the darker colours on their dresses makes them look more vibrant compared to the nude ones that Crown Princess Mary and Queen Maxima wore.

@royalanthropologist , I was also wondering why the woman in the red on the balcony (I don't know her name) did not wear a bra? Her chest should've been covered. She looked very inappropriate at the high profile event! The security guards should not have allowed her to come to the palace dressed like that.

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

QuoteIt is a pity that the snooty British royals sent only Sophie. What the hell was Charles and co doing ??? The Norwegian King is practically their relative for the love of God.  :no:

The only reason that I can think that they sent Sophie solo is that the rest of QEII's children are busy with their own engagements  ie(Irish tour) and more importantly  she's established a relationship with the younger generation of royals in the European nations. She and Edward have been QEII's representatives at most royal weddings since 2004. The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Princess Anne and Prince Charles were all the ones sent to represent the Queen and DoE for years until the Wessexes.

I do know that the Norwegian royals are typically invited for private visits to Sandringham by QEII. Somehow the rest of the continental royals have come to expect that QEII will not be present for unofficial events but she's been known to host them at her private estates.

sara8150

Royal Baby Bump Debut! Princess Sofia Dazzles with Prince Carl Philip by Her Side
Princess Sofia of Sweden Debuts Baby Bump in Norway

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 08:36:09 PM

Crown Prince Haakon Strangely Shaves His Beard During Gala Dinner: See the After Photo
Crown Prince Haakon Shaves His Beard During Gala Dinner

Curryong

The woman in red who was showing her nipples is Desiree Kogevinas. Her mother Madeleine was also an invitee. She is a mild and pleasant young-looking woman in blue with a tiara, who looks quite young. Madeleine's father was Prince Carl Bernadotte of Sweden, a cousin of King Gustav Adolf, the grandfather of the present Swedish King, and Madeleine is also related to King Harald, as the way Scandi royals generally are. Desiree is a child of Madeleine's second marriage and has two siblings, neither of whom was present.

I bet someone is quite embarrassed this morning, when the pictures on the balcony etc were published!

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 09:40:09 PM

There's been a lot of speculation on Royal forums and on Twitter as to why Queen Elizabeth has hardly ever deigned to appear at other (European) royals' birthdays, weddings, funerals, anniversary celebrations. Of course, the funerals of monarchs are ruled by protocol, and Elizabeth has hardly ever appeared at State funerals in Britain either.

The funeral of King Badouin was one which the Queen attended (interrupting the hallowed annual holiday at Balmoral to do so.) Rumour had it that the Government asked, nicely, that she should go, as Badouin was such a saintly and admired figure that her absence would cause offence. Another was of course Winston Churchill. No-one of any consequence was sent from the BRF to ex Queen Fabiola's funeral, and that caused plenty of raised eyebrows.

The Queen is a very serious-minded woman who is no party animal, very unlike her mother and sister. She is extremely shy. However, I really wish she had gone to some gatherings when she was younger and fitter, especially ones at which her fellow monarchs like Beatrix of the Netherlands and Daisy of Denmark were present.

Such absence does lead to an image of snobbery and exceptionalism for the entire BRF, and that's a view that, unfortunately is commonly held across social media. All the royals having a shindig, having a great time, dressing up in jewels and tiaras. 'Oh Elizabeth won't be there, she never goes to such things'. Unfortunately Charles, probably because of his messy personal life between 1994 and 2005, hardly ever appeared either, and so he and Cam, who apparently enjoys a party, are now no-shows at these things as well.

I just think that, in spite of the Wessexes, it is very, very unfortunate.

TLLK

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor

For those of us who want to indulge in jewelry and fashion it's this blog's coverage of the 80th birthday celebrations.

Curryong

And an interesting selection we have had over the last couple of days. Btw, those poor Royal ladies posing in the cold and rain on their way to the govt dinner! On the whole, I've agreed with most of the commentators re the gowns. I enjoy the glitter and glam of it all so it doesn't bother me if my favourite, Maxie, did go OTT in the tiara department. Repeats from both Maxie and Mathilde in the gowns for the birthday, but that's fine. Mathilde's dark blue the next day didn't do too much for me, but I do like her style in general.

I agreed that Tatiana looked beautiful in green with tiara, while Crown Princess Mary's gown had an unfortunate resemblance to a set of brocade curtains. So politically incorrect, but I just loved my other favourite, Daisy's cosy furred cape on the way to the dinner. I liked Sophie's aquamarine tiara but was not so keen on the dark green gown of the day, though it fitted beautifully. I think that shade of dark green suits very few and that few are dark haired and olive-skinned. I liked her much better the next day even if the gown's colour was a bit neutral.

Of course the lady in red was beyond the pale! I don't like Queen Sonja in too many lacy bits and frills so wasn't keen on her light green gown for the birthday. However, her speech and interaction with the birthday boy was so sweet and I loved the blue she wore the next day, very very nice. I think her daughter Martha Louise is a bit of a flake, but she is looking very well, and I liked her gowns on both days.

Sophia of Spain just looked as if she wanted to escape JC's company, can hardly blame her, but her gowns to me are usually blah and were on this occasion. CP Victoria let me down on bot days with her gowns. The second one looks much more suitable for a summers day. I see her sister in law Sofia managed to get the button tiara for the birthday dinner, a considerable achievement!

I can't say how much I enjoyed viewing this get-together and the glitz and glamour of it all.

sara8150

Banquet - King Harald & Sonja celebrate their 80th Birthdays
Banquet - King Harald & Sonja celebrate their 80th Birthdays | NEWMYROYALS & HOLLYWOOD FASHION

Double post auto-merged: May 11, 2017, 04:21:19 PM

40 royals gathered for dinner at the Oslo Opera House – see the pictures here
40 royals gathered for dinner at the Oslo Opera House – see the pictures here – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: May 11, 2017, 04:46:10 PM

Just like in the movies! Chivalrous Prince Frederik shelters Princess Mary from the rain as the glamorous pair attend a banquet dinner in Norway
Prince Frederik and Princess Mary attend banquet in Norway | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: May 11, 2017, 04:47:19 PM

The party continues! European royals gather for lavish feast after refusing to let the weather rain on the parade as they pull out all the stops for a SECOND day of celebrations in Oslo
European royals continue the celebrations in Oslo | Daily Mail Online

Jennifer

Quote from: Curryong on May 10, 2017, 09:02:52 PM
The woman in red who was showing her nipples is Desiree Kogevinas. Her mother Madeleine was also an invitee. She is a mild and pleasant young-looking woman in blue with a tiara, who looks quite young. Madeleine's father was Prince Carl Bernadotte of Sweden, a cousin of King Gustav Adolf, the grandfather of the present Swedish King, and Madeleine is also related to King Harald, as the way Scandi royals generally are. Desiree is a child of Madeleine's second marriage and has two siblings, neither of whom was present.

I bet someone is quite embarrassed this morning, when the pictures on the balcony etc were published!

Double post auto-merged: May 10, 2017, 09:40:09 PM

I think Desiree Kogevinas intentionally wanted to show her nipples because there's no way she could've forgot to put on a bra before a big event!  I am quite sure there were people who told her to do that ahead of time and she refused. I would not be surprised if she was an opponent of the monarchy. It would explain why she dressed the way she did at the royal event.

Quote40 royals gathered for dinner at the Oslo Opera House – see the pictures here

King Harald and Queen Sonja ended their two-day celebration of their 80th birthday this evening. On Tuesday, the celebrations were characterised by entertainment in front of the Norwegian Royal Palace in Oslo before the royal guests gathered at the palace for a large family dinner.

Wednesday, the celebration was split into two parts. It started with all the royal guests being served lunch on board the Norwegian royal yacht. As the meal went on, the ship sailed on a short trip in the Oslo Fjord and showed the royals all the best sights. The view of Oslo from the sea is exquisite. You can clearly see the city hall, the new modern district and the huge and ancient Akershus Fortress.

Read more:
40 royals gathered for dinner at the Oslo Opera House – see the pictures here – Royal Central

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston