The Duke of Edinburgh to step down from royal duties this autumn

Started by sara8150, May 04, 2017, 01:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on May 06, 2017, 11:18:01 PM
I don't think anyone seriously expects Prince Philip's allowance to be taken away. After all, he's not doing a Prince Henrik (of Denmark) and walking away from Royal duties after having a hissy fit due to not being King Consort. Henrik didn't have his apanage taken away, though apparently many Danes privately express the view that his money and staff should be cut down. Philip has been a wonderful stay and support to the Queen for nearly 70 years and now is physically drained of energy. How many near-centarians are doing full time jobs?
of course it wont be taken away, but some people appear to be saying that if he's not working, he's not worth keeping financially. and that he's a bad person anyway.  I like Philip very much, he's worth 10 of any of his kids, and about 50 of any of his older grandchildren.  Its quite absurd IMO to talk as though he should go on slogging it out till he drops unless that really si what he wants.  ANd clearly he and the queen would prefer him to take things easy for his last years

TLLK

I have to wonder if Phillip is beginning to have trouble with his mobility too. His remark about not being able  to stand up may have some truth to it.
His contemporary former POTUS George H.W. Bush (92 years old) has been unable to walk unassisted for years now and like Phillip had always been an "action man."

Duch_Luver_4ever

We probably wont know for years what the real issue is but it would be very surprised if it isnt a health related issues, judging by the was past historical royal health issues were handled the last 150 years or so by the palace and media.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^Considering Phillip's health scares over the last 5 years I wouldn't be surprised that his health has played a role in the timing of this announcement.

Jennifer

QuoteThe island that worships Prince Philip is disappointed by his retirement

Out in the Pacific Ocean lays a remote island, untouched by the complications of busy cities. While mostly cut off from the outside world, they are familiar with the Duke of Edinburgh.

To the Kastom people in the Yaohnanen village on the Tanna island in Vanuatu(previously an Anglo-French colony called the New Hebrides) in the South Pacific, Prince Philip is a God. The son of a mountain God to be exact, who travelled the seas to find a wealthy and powerful bride. The people of Tanna believe that Prince Philip will "heal their land", however, they are in mourning after learning of his retirement according to India News.

Now that Prince Philip will not be travelling on his own, or on a tour with his wife, Queen Elizabeth, the opportunity for Prince Philip to "save" the island is a pipe dream.

Read more:
The island that worships Prince Philip is disappointed by his retirement – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK