Charles and Camilla to visit Ireland in May 2017

Started by TLLK, April 30, 2017, 11:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

No way IMO would they ever top the Queen in popularity. Or even reach her level of popularity. She's a tough act to follow

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on May 01, 2017, 04:05:47 AM
Quote from: TLLK on April 30, 2017, 11:05:26 PM
Ireland prepares for Royal visit as Prince Charles and Camilla to meet with Taoiseach - Independent.ie
Oh that's great, I think they'll be very popular as the queen was. 
Ever since HM and the DoE made that first visit to the Republic of Ireland it seems that the BRF is well received.

amabel

indeed, tey have i believe made private visits and been very welcome

TLLK

Jennifer

QuotePrince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall begin visit to Northern Ireland

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall arrived in Bellaghy today for the first of a four-day visit to Northern Ireland.

Prince Charles and Camilla began their day at the Seamus Heaney HomePlace, a visitor centre dedicated to the memory of the Irish poet and Noble Laureate Seamus Heaney. Prince Charles revealed that he is a big fan of Heaney's work and was recorded reciting his poem 'The Shipping Forecast.' Addressing the crowd at the HomePlace, he said that poets helped people discover their shared humanity.

"Our varied histories, voices, and traditions can create all the greater harmony when they come together," His Royal Highness said. "After all it is differences that make harmony possible, even as it is the barriers that have been overcome to make friendship all the stronger."

Read more:
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall begin visit to Northern Ireland – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

sandy

The eating pictures are not flattering to her.

TLLK

Prince Charles tries hand at hurling in Kilkenny - BBC News

Day three of the tour and the couple are now in the Republic of Ireland.

Double post auto-merged: May 12, 2017, 02:00:08 PM

Charles and Camilla attend ceremony at war memorial in Dublin | Daily Mail Online

Final day in Ireland.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Maybe this is just cause im on the other side of the pond, or was alive during the "troubles", but it seems extraordinary the changes that just a few short decades ago a visit like this would have been unthinkable.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^No it's not just you who remembers when this would have been unthinkable. I had a couple of classmates at my parochial school with family there who were killed during those years. Hopefully the peace that seems to be existing in Northern Ireland will continue.

amabel

well yes of course it would have been unthinkable even 20 years ago.  That is a sign of how far one hopes things have improved in N Ireland and in British/irish relations.  But Chalres and other royals have made private visits to Ireland years ago, when an official visit was impossible and generally they've been well liked.

Double post auto-merged: May 13, 2017, 09:49:31 AM

Quote from: TLLK on May 11, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
Prince Charles tries hand at hurling in Kilkenny - BBC News

Day three of the tour and the couple are now in the Republic of Ireland.

Double post auto-merged: May 12, 2017, 02:00:08 PM

Charles and Camilla attend ceremony at war memorial in Dublin | Daily Mail Online

Final day in Ireland.
he's not bad at the hurling at all.. it is very good to see them in irleand.  Camilla is refreshingly "iun -vain!"

sandy

I would not say that. She certainly must have a large budget for her clothing and upkeep.

I think she may be too un-vain with her posing for photos scarfing down ice cream.

amabel

sandy

High maintenance because of $$$ spent on her upkeep and wardrobe.Some vanity because she spots cameras and grins at them . Lots of vanity when she grins showing off the bling.

Odd behavior: scarfing down ice cream in front of cameras. Maybe she thinks it is cute.

TLLK

Quotehe's not bad at the hurling at all.. it is very good to see them in irleand.  Camilla is refreshingly "iun -vain!"

I agree that the couple appear to have had a warm reception in Ireland and Northern Ireland. If you had asked me twenty years ago if a member of the BRF could have visited the Republic of Ireland, I would have stated "no." However since the Queen's initial visit and the state visits from both nations, I am optimistic that the future relations between the two countries is going to be positive.

IMO Camilla is not someone who is "high maintenance" and is content with appearing neat, tidy and appropriately dressed for the occasion. 

royalanthropologist

Camilla looks like someone you would want to have for a dinner party. She never takes herself too seriously. I actually like the fact that she is happy to accept the ice cream that is offered and lick it up regardless of the cameras. It takes a woman who is very confident in herself to do that. Others would be obsessed about how it would look like in the press the next day. Even the media that was once beastly to her have noted that she is easy to work with as a senior royal, making their life as easy as possible. Camilla might have learnt a thing or two from the problems that befell her predecessor in terms of handling public engagements.

I have never done a detailed comparative analysis of the relative budgets of Camilla and Diana so I cannot say for certain who costs the monarchy more. What I know is that Charles is very generous with Camilla and likes to indulge her with magnificent pieces of jewelry. She just has to express an interest in something and Charles will oblige. I have to say that few royal women of the current generation have as much jewelry as Camilla. Some of those necklaces and brooches could tempt me into sin. lol.  :hehe: Charles has sure been dishing out for the bling. I like the fact that Camilla is not afraid to go for the big pieces. Her hair can carry them off in a way that other royal ladies might not be able to do. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

To each her own. I would not go out of my way to see her much less invite her to a dinner party. The Queen would not eat in front of cameras that way. Nor most of the other members of the royal family. I think it looks unflattering and I am standing by this opinion.

She is confident in herself to the point of being nervy which is how she got where she is today.

The jewelry was given to Camilla by Charles when she was his mistress. She is no doubt used to getting these perks.

Kate will get the same bling or more when she is Queen.

When Camilla first was getting a makeover it was said it cost much $$$ (including dental work) and the PR for her was not cheap.

I would venture her upkeep cost more than Diana's.

Quote from: TLLK on May 13, 2017, 03:42:59 PM
Quotehe's not bad at the hurling at all.. it is very good to see them in irleand.  Camilla is refreshingly "iun -vain!"

I agree that the couple appear to have had a warm reception in Ireland and Northern Ireland. If you had asked me twenty years ago if a member of the BRF could have visited the Republic of Ireland, I would have stated "no." However since the Queen's initial visit and the state visits from both nations, I am optimistic that the future relations between the two countries is going to be positive.

IMO Camilla is not someone who is "high maintenance" and is content with appearing neat, tidy and appropriately dressed for the occasion. 

Camilla does not just get up in the morning, grab a frock from the closet dress and leave the house, running a comb through her hair. As a royal woman she has hairdressers, maids, stylists and so on. Of course royals are high maintenance, including Camilla. She reportedly goes for costly spa treatments from time to time. And her hair needs maintenance (coloring and styling. She probably has a closet the size of a NY apartment. That is high maintenance.

royalanthropologist

It is the power of healing TLLK. Ireland has changed a lot since the troubles. The royal family has been magnanimous especially considering how Lord Mountbatten ended up. It also helps to an extent that Charles' private life is no longer fodder for nosey gossip columnists and celebrity obsessives. He can now focus on his work which is to represent GB.

Moreover some of the rude (and frankly weird) folks that used to groan when he came to greet them are no longer really in the picture. They do get crowds of perfectly pleasant people but not the kind of mass hysteria that used to happen in the 1980s and 1990s. I kinda prefer the updated version of monarchy.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Charles is not a forgotten man. He is still in the spotlight and will be to the day he dies. The latest "rumble" from the media concerns if he sees his grandchildren often enough and the allegations that he feels the Middletons see them more. He was born in the spotlight and is  quite used to it.

There was no "mass hysteria" in the eighties and nineties. I would not call it "mass hysteria." There have been other times of great interest in the royals: The days of Princess Margaret and whether or not she'd marry Peter Townsend, the Abdication, the fortunes of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and there will be more events that attract world interest in future. CHarles still has his critics.

TLLK

QuoteIt is the power of healing TLLK. Ireland has changed a lot since the troubles.
:nod: Indeed it has changed.

Curryong

'Camilla might have learned something from the problems that befell her predecessor in terms of handling her public engagements.'

What problems did Diana have in terms of handling public engagements? Crowds loved her, she was always gracious and looked beautiful. Diana was a hard worker and connected wonderfully with those she met and talked to.

If you mean her problems with Charles not accepting her popularity I'd just like to repeat a little story I read a few years ago.

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima were inside a building on a Royal engagement. It had been some time and the waiting crowd and photographers were getting a bit restless. A cry started up 'Maxima! Maxima!' A few moments later Willem Alexander appeared, and hearing the calls, he grinned. Nodding towards the photographers he called smilingly "And here she is gentlemen! There you are!" as an oblivious Maxima appeared at the door to cheers.

A huge contrast with Charles's  jealousy about his popular and beautiful wife? Yes, and who is the bigger man in these scenarios?

sandy

Diana excelled in public engagements. Charles got too jealous to appreciate his wife, unfortunately. He should have gotten some counseling about his jealousy issues.

I don't see any "problems" with Diana's appearances.