The Teddy Bear

Started by LouisFerdinand, April 24, 2017, 12:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Prince Charles has a teddy bear that he was given in childhood. How old was he when he received the teddy bear.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Charles took the teddy bear on state trips abroad. Each night one of the servants was assigned the task of tucking the teddy bear up to its paws so, Charles explained, "Teddy doesn't get cold."

Curryong

Teddy is still tucked up in bed, or remains on Charles's bed, to this day. To be fair, Diana also had a host of soft toys piled up on her bed. These toys are a reminder of childhood and comfort, I suppose.

TLLK

^^^Also I would think that children who attended boarding school (Not Gordonstoun of course!) would have been encouraged to bring a soft toy for some comfort. I've read that the Wessexes had a teddy bear on their bed in their BP apartment.

Duch_Luver_4ever

All this reminds me of Mr. Burns and his bobo, if you remember that episode  :lol:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

You know I had a frightful row with one of my chums about that teddy bear. I was like: "this is yet another dirty media job on Charles. How can people say that a grown man sleeps with a teddy bear. It is absolutely ridiculous.". I later had to eat my words. Remember that this is going to be a head of state :eyes:

Double post auto-merged: May 07, 2017, 06:09:35 AM

So you have this comical scene of each side of the couple sleeping with a stuffed toy instead of sleeping with one another. I mean, really????
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

I don't know whether Diana actually slept with any of her toys. They were just described as being piled on top of her made bed during the day/evening, rather like my daughters had them when they were very young teenagers. Charles and his teddy are actually in the bed. I don't know what Camilla thinks of it.
However, I wouldn't be surprised at other aristos in Britain having a fondness for teddies. They are after all, part of the culture, Winnie the Pooh, Paddington Bear and Rupert Bear, who is white. I'm sure they went with some boys to prep school or were cuddled at night in some large nursery when terrifying Nannies turned out the light. It's just a harmless English eccentricity I think.

royalanthropologist

Hi hi. I think I am getting too old fashioned :hehe:  :D :lol: English aristos do some queer stuff sometimes.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace