Charles and Camilla will tours Canada June 29-July 1,2017

Started by sara8150, April 18, 2017, 04:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

I don't talk about the RF to anyone much in the UK because I don't know anyone else who is interested in them.  At one time I said to a  friend in an email that I'd had a bet about "Wil and K's baby." and it took her a few mins to work out who i meant because she took no interest...
And if one did, I think you'd get an indifferent look, if you mention either the Cambridges or Charles and Camilla.  and Diana, would either get a little admiration if you talked to a middle aged or older male.. or a woman around her age.. but equaly, you might get a head shake because they didn't think very highly of her...

I find ti hard to fathom that anyone who follows the RF even a little would be expecting anyting great from Will and kate. I admit that a few years ago, I encountered people on Royal boards who said that they had thougth that Kate was a bright young woman and likey to be a good role model... but I really could not work out why they had believed this.. from her pre marital record.   Usually they were then disappointed by how "non active" she had turned out to be.
I would say if you expect a bit of "interesting ideas" from anyone in the RF it is from Charles.. one may not always agree with them but he does at least have ideas which is more than his son has. 
And William will very likely be around 60 when he becomes king so he and Kate problaby wont be that "vigorous" or good looking.. and they have no brains etc to make up for it.
I don't really think that in another 5 years say most people under 40 or even under 50 are going to hold Charles' first marriage against him and Camilla. of course there will be some, but I don't believe that people are going to go "oh thank God we have now got Wonderful Will and Kate who have not got any scandals in their past... "

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 11:06:29 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 01, 2017, 10:57:37 AM
It is a sad reflection of our times and values that a man who has devoted 40+ years to public service and is without doubt the best Prince of Wales ever; is deemed to be a caretaker king to someone who has done absolutely nothing even reaching a fraction of what Charles has done. But again, we have to take society as we find it.

This assumption that Charles' reign is going to be unsuccessful may prove to be as accurate as the one that he would never marry Camilla. Charles is very effective at his job, regardless of what his detractors think of him.  I doubt that William will be able to run the Duchy or any trust with as much effectiveness as his father has done. I very much doubt it. The long awaited reign of William and Catherine may turn out to be a dud on a monumental scale.

I .
I don't believe that it will be "long awaitied".  people In the UK aren't that interested in the RF.. they just take them as they come along. If there are scandals or crises obviously more people wil take an interst and have an opinion.. so it is possible that in polls, people who DO feel that "Charles si a good guy in some ways but I disapprove of his interfering or his marriage".. will make this opinion known.  But the vast majoirty will just take notice when the coroonation happens.. and will shrug and say "well he's getting on a bit.." or "yes look at the scandal and fuss years ago... what a long time ago that was.."

sandy

Funny I get the opposite reaction. The "older people" I spoke to liked Diana and don't go shaking their heads. I see that reaction when Camilla's name comes up, the shaking of the head. I see a great deal of negativity in comments about Camilla's book. And it is not Diana causing the issue, she is dead, but Charles and Camilla seem to be so bitter they  spoke to a woman who really loathes Diana and certainly C and C would know it would be another bashing session. The two worked and kept their mouths shut but Camilla's interview and now this book were really bad ideas.

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 11:23:04 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 01, 2017, 10:57:37 AM
It is a sad reflection of our times and values that a man who has devoted 40+ years to public service and is without doubt the best Prince of Wales ever; is deemed to be a caretaker king to someone who has done absolutely nothing even reaching a fraction of what Charles has done. But again, we have to take society as we find it.

This assumption that Charles' reign is going to be unsuccessful may prove to be as accurate as the one that he would never marry Camilla. Charles is very effective at his job, regardless of what his detractors think of him.  I doubt that William will be able to run the Duchy or any trust with as much effectiveness as his father has done. I very much doubt it. The long awaited reign of William and Catherine may turn out to be a dud on a monumental scale.

I also wonder whether people do realize that these guys love their father and actually resent people who try to insult and diminish him? Saying that we love you to William and Harry is somewhat negated by the notion that in the same breathe, these people insult and diminish his father.  As Earl Spencer soon learnt, the bond between Charles and his sons is rather stronger than Diana let on or wanted to be.

No question Charles does the work. Why do you think DIana did not want their sons to have a strong bond with their father? She never said that. Charles seems to have sabotaged this all by himself--cooperating with an author that does hatchet jobs on their mother, using William in PR for Camilla. WIlliam spend much of his time with his in-laws now and has a very close bond with them. Harry has his own life now.

It would have been wise for Charles not to have had Camilla give that interview nor cooperated with Junor. It is embarrassing because Camilla is treated like some sort of deity by Junor and Diana is trashed and trashed again. Charles and Camilla raking up the past is just plain stupid.

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 11:24:30 AM

Quote from: amabel on July 01, 2017, 08:57:36 AM
that's rather ridiculous at least in brtiain.  Yes Charles' reign will be short, but it is posislbe that Will's reign will also be short.   I hate this sort of speculation, but why will people be waiting for William?  He's nothing special, he has IMO no particular desire for the job and no interest in doing anytign special with it.. and so I doubt if people are thinking "I'm wating for C's reign to be over and the glorious reign of William V to begin.  as for Canada, it is up the Canadians to do what they want to.. If they don't like the british connextion, get rid of it.. but don't whine on about it.

IT is the way of the royals. The eldest takes over. Monarchs do not stay on forever. There is a line of succession.

amabel

precisely my point Sandy.   Why si Charles a "caretaker king"?  Esp when there is no evidence that William si going to do anyting special with the role when he has it.

sara8150

'Your father and I escaped the Nazis together!' Old soldier, 92, stuns Camilla on Royal trip by telling her how he was a prisoner of war with her Major dad before fleeing their German captors
Soldier tells Camilla he escaped Nazis with her father | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 03:17:37 PM

'I escaped the Nazis with your father', veteran tells Duchess of Cornwall
'I escaped the Nazis with your father', veteran tells Duchess of Cornwall

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 03:19:34 PM

Soldier tells Duchess of Cornwall of how he escaped Nazi prison camp with her father
Soldier tells Camilla how he escaped Nazi prison camp with her father | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: July 01, 2017, 03:20:38 PM

Royal welcome for Charles and Camilla as Canada shows little sign of shunning the monarchy
Royal welcome for Charles and Camilla as Canada shows little sign of shunning the monarchy - ITV News

sandy

Quote from: amabel on July 01, 2017, 02:15:23 PM
precisely my point Sandy.   Why si Charles a "caretaker king"?  Esp when there is no evidence that William si going to do anyting special with the role when he has it.
Unless William steps aside for George, he is going to be King since he is the first born.

sara8150

The Trudeau charm strikes again! Prince Charles flashes a relaxed smile as he meets for informal talks with Canada's popular Prime Minister ahead of national celebrations
Charles meets Canada´s Justin Trudeau ahead Canada day | Daily Mail Online

amabel

Quote from: sandy on July 01, 2017, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: amabel on July 01, 2017, 02:15:23 PM
Unless William steps aside for George, he is going to be King since he is the first born.
yes we know he will be king, and so will Charles.. so why is Charles a caretaker or "interim" king?

sandy

I never said he was. I just said there is a succession and the scheme of things is the first born of each generation become monarchs. So I never said he was a caretaker. There are no term limits so nothing definitive can be said about how long each will reign.

Curryong

Happy anniversary to all Canadians. 150 years!  :thumbsup: (You're older than us though!)  :partaay:

Duch_Luver_4ever

We were closer to sail to than you guys tucked away down in the south pacific :flower:

The weather certainly hasnt cooperated like it did in 83.

I watched the ITN link and saw a little something, youd miss it if you wernt looking for it, that made me very angry, although its better that after 36 years hes learnt his lesson. IDK if they do this on all walkabouts, but if you look at the one shown, Charles and Camilla are walking TOGETHER, side by side. If he'd have had the sense to do that back in 83, things might be a lot different.....just made me very sad to see that, knowing how nervous it made Diana to do that in the beginning, and the fallout from her popularity...just really sad.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

A lot of things have happened since Diana's time and I'm glad to say some things are for the better. Of course protocol has its place, and everyone should out of respect give way to the Queen. However, I have to say, as a Harry fan, I do find it a bit annoying that when he's on an engagement with Will and Kate he hangs back in third position so much. When he marries that trio arrangement will go and it will be separate engagements I suppose.

It's a bit sad that the weather hasn't cooperated for this big birthday celebration for you. I remember the bicentennial of Captain Cook paying us a visit and the weather was absolutely perfect, but we've had celebrations down here in Victoria (we didn't become a colony until the 1850s) where it was a soggy mess. Are Charles and Camilla getting good crowds to their other engagements?

Anyway, I'm sure our Canadian cousins had a terrific time anyway. Party!

royalanthropologist

I totally see your point @Duch_Luver_4ever. My own take is that a 32 year old man is different from a 68 year old man. There are many life lessons that you get over a course of doubling your life span.

Perhaps Charles is not quite as prickly as he might have been when he was younger. We also have to consider the different dynamics of the relationship. Because Camilla is 'hated" by some sections of the public, Charles feels that he must protect her at all costs. It is a personal affront to him when she is insulted or made uncomfortable in any way. That means that he can over-compensate.

We sometimes do that with our kids when we think they are vulnerable. With Diana he might have felt that she was a star with her own entourage of fans so it was fine to leave her to her own devices (besides the annoyance of being treated rudely by people on the walkabouts). That is why Camilla is "my darling wife" and Diana was just plain old "Diana" when talking about the respective women.

The differing personalities of the two women might also have a role to play. Camilla is very different from Diana in terms of her locus of control (the extent to which she believes events in her life are largely determined by internal or external forces). Diana  favored an external locus of control in which she required outside approval. Camilla by contrast has a very strong internal locus of control and is able to shut out the world outside if it is inconvenient or unpleasant.

Some personalities (Charles I suspect being one) are repelled by people who have an external locus of control because they perceive them to be too demanding of attention and approval. By the same token they are inspired to try and be protective to people with an internalized locus of control because they appear to be so independent.

Those are just my theories about the changes in dynamics but it is definitely noticeable that Charles is an entirely different husband to Camilla than what he was to Diana.

"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Charles wanted children which is why he married Diana.  Camilla also has a bolthole and does not live with him all the time.  In early speeches when married to Diana he did call her his darling wife.  So it was not just "Diana." I don't think Diana wanted to be at her own devices, she said so in any case. She told Camilla "I want my husband." Camilla is not vulnerable nor has ever been vulnerable. She had the upper hand the whole time.  Charles lack of making his first wife non-negotiable and throwing her to the wolves is not exactly helping Camilla.

Curryong

Like attracts like I suppose, as both Charles and Camilla have the ability to ignore all the 'bad' stuff about them, and just 'ostrich'. Junor points to Camilla doing that. Although surely if a person is perceived as independent and self reliant they shouldn't need protecting? Surely it's the more vulnerable personalities that need such nurturing.

As a Diana fan though, it still hurts when I remember the young Diana trying so hard to please in those early tours and events, without really a pat on the back or anything substantial from anyone, and you read of Charles's fawning and affectionate tributes to Camilla. It seems so unfair.

royalanthropologist

I can understand the hurt by Diana fans @Curryong. It is a natural feeling of regrets and lost opportunities. The "why couldn't do that before" sort of thing but that is how life is. Sometimes you meet the right person at the wrong time or the wrong person at the right time. People can even react to the same situation in very different ways depending on the stage of life at which they are.

Camilla has benefited from many, many years of watching the royal events unfold. She knows the pitfalls of being with Charles and how to handle him when he gets prickly. She also understand the royals very well after watching all that happened. Hence that bolthole that for all intents and purposes is an ingenious approach. Diana was new to the game, everything was a blank slate. I am sure if she had been alive today, she would be a totally different person with different responses to disappointment and rejection.

As for the protecting the seemingly independent and ignoring the vulnerable: I think that Charles feels that any attacks on Camilla are a personal affront and attack on him and his judgement. Hence the "non-negotiable" stance. Even his venerated mum was given the choice of being estranged from her son or accepting Camilla. To him they are a package and he refuses to accept any attempt to separate them (you see that when he falls out with long term friends because they seat Camilla in a place he thinks is demeaning to her). 

Charles goes out of his way to "over protect" and respond to any real and perceived criticism  of Camilla with fury. With Diana, he just withdrew emotionally and physically. Almost like saying "Ok then...if you are so popular, let your fans be a husband to you". It is not a mature response to incompatibility but it is what it is.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Good Lord  :ugh: The Diana fans wrecking the world again.  :no: :cry: <_<

Why should Charles have to be "handled" a certain way. Maybe he needed counseling. In other words Charles uses emotional blackmail if he does not get his way. Then I would say Camilla deserves him

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 02, 2017, 07:21:15 AM
Good Lord :notamused: :ugh:

Likewise

sara8150

Charles shows off his green fingers! Prince of Wales plants a maple tree as he rounds off three-day royal visit to Canada with Camilla
Prince of Wales plants a maple tree in Canada | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 02, 2017, 04:45:48 PM

Prince Charles hails Canada as an 'example to all' as it celebrates 150th birthday
Prince Charles hails Canada as an 'example to all' as it celebrates 150th birthday

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on July 02, 2017, 07:21:15 AM
Good Lord :notamused: :ugh:

OMG!!!  Good grief is right.
Come on folks.  Lets give it a rest.  Every thread is turnnig into a  PC, C and PD  thread.
Hey, self-moderate.

I  do not care about PC and CPB. I  jsutlooked here just to  look but  had not intended  onpsoting about their  goodwill trip to Canada.
THEN,  here some of you all go  again Again. PC, CPB , and PD.

Hey  , how is the weather in  London today?  It  is rainy and PC  loves  the rain. CPB  does   and it is just one more of the 1000 things they  have in common and  you Diana  never liked the rain.

Do you like  roast  beef sandwiches?  Yes and  it is said CPB cooks  great roast beef...

Every thread  , wth some of us, turns into  PC, CPB and  PD.

Come on people.
Lets  stop it.

Are some of us just  trying to be annoying? Is this done on purpose?

Lets stop it.

sandy

The tour unfortunately came right on the heels of Junor's Camilla book. The DM combined the coverage of Canada with Junor's book.  Maybe if Junor had waited until next year...