Camilla in Nottinghamto meet with volunteers at Boots UK

Started by TLLK, March 14, 2017, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Duchess of Cornwall visits Nottingham volunteers at Boots UK | Nottingham Post

(Video of her speech is included.)

The volunteers are assembling wash bags which will be provided to victims of sexual assault after forensic evidence has been gathered. As most of you are likely aware, victims are asked not to wash themselves after an attack so that physical evidence can be collected.  :(

royalanthropologist

Was reading about victims of sexual assault who said that they desperately wanted to wash themselves following an attack but the forensic procedures prevented them. I wonder whether the police has given appropriate advice on preserving evidence.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

I understand that it is to be used after the exam but before they return home from the hospital.

Jennifer

I like how Camilla gave wash bags to the survivors of rape or sexual assault after the forensic evidence was gathered from them. It's always nice when someone helps make a difference for others who have been in difficult situations. The world may not be perfect, but it's good to know that there are people who seek to make it a better place for everyone.

QuoteDuchess of Cornwall launches national campaign to assist survivors of rape and sexual abuse

The Duchess of Cornwall visited the headquarters of Boots UK in Beeston, Nottingham on Tuesday to see the national launch of an initiative she founded to provide wash bags to survivors of rape and sexual assault. These bags contain essential products such as toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, shower gel, make-up, deodorant and hand cream.

The Duchess first visited a Rape Crisis and Sexual Assault Referral Centre in 2009. Since then, she has been a huge supporter to those who have suffered such violation through no fault of their own. She was touched by the stories she heard and felt inspired to do something; to make the survivors feel that there was someone who cared for them.

She said during her speech: "I want to thank you all for your contribution to the Wash Bag Project – a project that we started to think about five years ago when I first came aware of quite how horrific the consequences are of rape and sexual abuse.

Read more:
Duchess of Cornwall launches national campaign to assist survivors of rape and sexual abuse – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston