King Richard I of England

Started by LouisFerdinand, February 19, 2017, 10:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

King Richard I wanted to participate in the Third Crusade. To raise money, he sold earldoms, lordships, sherrifdoms, castles, lands, estates, and entire towns. Richard even planned to sell the capital, London. He could not find anyone rich enough to buy it.

LouisFerdinand

Richard I's coronation was marred by violence. Richard had banned Jews from the ceremony. Some Jews who sought to attend were flogged. Londoners began massacring the city's Jewish population. King Richard issued a writ barring violence against Jews.

royalanthropologist

Wow. Talk about chaotic royal events. That must have been some coronation, huh :unsure: :eyes:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

LouisFerdinand

From his elder brother Prince Henry's demise, Richard was considered, though not officially proclaimed, heir to the joint thrones of England, Normandy and Anjou.

LouisFerdinand

When he succeeded to the throne, King Richard I made his younger brother Prince John Count of Mortain and granted him valuable estates in England.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

On September 3, 1189 Richard I was crowned as King of England. On April 17, 1194 he was crowned for a second time as King of England.

LouisFerdinand

When Richard I had taken the throne, he made his brother John Count of Mortain.

LouisFerdinand

King Richard I had one male lover, a young knight and fellow crusader, Raife de Clermon, who he freed from Muslim captivity.

Curryong

Richard reputedly had male lover(s). There?s little real evidence either way. He was not a womaniser nor did he have male favourites. The main focus of his life seems to have been the Crusades and making war for Christianity?s sake against those regarded in his day as infidels.

LouisFerdinand

Apart from crusades, King Richard I's main aim in life was defending his beloved Duchy of Aquitaine against King Philip II of France.   

:polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :mad23: :mad23: :mad23: :mad23: