King Philippe of Belgium says USA and UK threaten course of history

Started by Jennifer, February 15, 2017, 09:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I agree with Prince Philippe about Brexit. I think the UK should've stayed in the EU. When a country leaves the EU, there are unfortunate risks that happen that can effect the flow of jobs, trade, currency and investments between the country and the other countries in the system. Europe has to stay united in the system and work together on many issues. Supporting euro-skepticism divides the countries apart and doesn't help keep Europe stable or successful.

Donald's Trump's anti-immigration policy of banning people from certain countries seems xenophobic. It's not necessarily the best way to handle the issue of terrorism. It creates more fear & distrust with the people who are originally from those countries living in the United States peacefully and aren't associated with the terrorism. The solution is for leaders of countries to come together and think of effective plans to eliminate all these terrorist groups in the world.

QuoteHis Majesty King Philippe of Belgium criticised last week both that the United Kingdom had withdrawn from the European Union and US president Donald Trump's anti-immigration policies. It was Tuesday last week that the King said this when he held a gathering of top government officials in Belgium.

King Philippe warned the top government officials and stated that he feared that Britain and the United States had embarked on dangerous paths that could "reverse the course of history." In his speech, His Majesty said that last year was "marked by the decision of two great nations and friends to shift their focus inward." It was evident that he was referring to the US presidential election and the UK referendum on leaving the European Union.

Read more:
King Philippe of Belgium says USA and UK threaten course of history – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

History is not static though, as we know. It ebbs, it flows, it goes in strange directions sometimes, not one forward push for evermore. IMO King Philippe is speaking just as much if not more about the possible breakup of the EU in the next few years as about Brexit and the US under Trump.

The Brexit  result was a huge shock to many EU leaders. They are worried, IMO, about France and Germany now having to carry almost the entire financial load for many very small states and failing economies within the organisation. Also Brexit gave heart to many political groups in Europe, especially in France and the Netherlands, to do exactly the same in their countries. If they succeed the EU will soon cease to exist. In its current form, anyway.

(I'm not glorying in this. Had I still lived in Britain I would have voted to stay in, mainly because it gave many young Britons and Europeans the chance to live and work in countries that they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Nevertheless, I could see the other sides' viewpoints as well.)

TLLK

Also Phillipe has the near constant concern that his own nation will eventually split in to two separate ones which would be an economic disaster for French speaking Walloons.