The Swedish Monarchy Current Events

Started by Jennifer, January 09, 2017, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Sweden?s King and Queen visit snowy Kiruna ? Royal Central

Quoteheir Majesties King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden visited the city of Kiruna ? the northernmost town in Sweden ? this week to see the progress being made with the world?s largest city reconstruction project which will see the municipality?s centre moved three kilometres to the east.

The project officially began in November 2007 in response to a 2004 study which revealed that a mining-related subsidence was putting the city at risk, and the relocation project officially got underway in 2014.

The royal visit began at Kiruna Town Hall where the King and Queen met with municipal council chairperson Kristina Zakrisson and Urban planner G?ran Cars to learn more about the ongoing city conversion. They also heard from LKAB CEO Jan Mostr?m and Director of Social Transformation Stefan H?m?l?inen about the company?s role in the urban transformation as LKAB produced the original study which proved the necessity of the reconstruction project.

TLLK

Queen Silvia attends at Holocaust Memorial at Stockholm's Great Synagogue.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

TLLK

Kritter

Queen Silvia plays the role of meteorologist on trip to SVT ? Royal Central

QuoteOn 1 February, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden visited Sweden?s National Television?s headquarters in Stockholm to learn more about SVT?s public service missions and their planning of the coverage of the 2018 general elections.

They learned about SVT?s emergencies preparedness, and they also talked about how the change of the media landscape affects SVT as well as the role of journalism in a democratic society.

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia took toured the headquarters and visited many different studios. They were able to learn how SVT deals with the challenge of live reporting breaking news efficiently and factually and what they were planning regarding coverage for the upcoming Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

Scandinavian Royals. @crownprincely

QuoteCrown Princess Victoria will attend the Paralympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea from March 14th to March 17th

sara8150

Swedish Royals attended the National Day 2018 concert in Skansen | Newmyroyals & Hollywood Fashion

Swedish Royal Family Celebrates National Day ? Concert

Swedish royal family celebrate National Day in Stockholm | Daily Mail Online

Prince Oscar wishes Swedes a happy National Day for first time - The Local

Minus Princess Madeleine?s three children and Prince Carl Philp?s boys join events till christening but European Royals always celebrates national day but British Royals don?t have national day usually trooping color annual on Queen?s birthday

Curryong

Estelle and Oscar look very sweet, love the photos of them. However, I've always questioned as to why the Swedish Royals celebrate their national day with the females of the family getting all dressed up with white headdresses, yellow aprons, long skirts, traditional shoes and all the rest of it while their menfolk wear dark suits. They are all Dukes of a particular region, with the exception of Chris. Why can't they wear regional or national traditional male folk costumes?

British royals don't celebrate any national day because the history of the U.K. is very different from countries in Scandinavia or continental Europe. Scotland and England have been in Union since the early 17th century. Therefore, as well as celebrating St George's Day in England and St David's day in the Principality of Wales, (in Welsh national costume) the BRF would have to wear Scottish national dress (that, like the Welsh, would be contentious to say the least) and go up to Edinburgh to celebrate St Andrews Day, (or Robbie Burns Day which is just as prominent.)

Then, what would they do about Northern Ireland, which is part of the U.K.? Go to Belfast for St Patrick's Day, which would please Roman Catholics and then return for Orange Day commemorations of the Battle of the Boyne for the Protestants? Rather complicated, to say the least!

TLLK

@Curryong_ I've read over at the big forum that the "national costume" with the blue/yellow/white was developed for a unified look for the country instead of the regional costumes. I'm surprised that the adult men do not have their own version to wear like their Norwegian neighbors. (My guess is that the King doesn't like it. ) I do remember that I  saw Princess Sofia wear her regional costume at her son's christening.

Curryong

Yes, I remember that too. But Carl Philip wore a suit, and that's the point isn't it? The male royals wear military uniforms to honour their country's armed forces but don't bother with the folk costumes of their native land, perhaps because they might 'look stupid'.

sara8150

QuoteBritish royals don't celebrate any national day because the history of the U.K. is very different from countries in Scandinavia or continental Europe. Scotland and England have been in Union since the early 17th century. Therefore, as well as celebrating St George's Day in England and St David's day in the Principality of Wales, (in Welsh national costume) the BRF would have to wear Scottish national dress (that, like the Welsh, would be contentious to say the least) and go up to Edinburgh to celebrate St Andrews Day, (or Robbie Burns Day which is just as prominent.)

Yeah I?m agreed with you,@Curryong

TLLK

Nobel banquet in Stockholm cancelled due to COVID-19 ? Royal Central :no: Honestly I  would have been stunned if it had been allowed to occur.

QuoteOne of the Swedish Royal Family?s most prominent events has been cancelled for 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The traditional banquet for the Nobel Laureates in Stockholm?s City Hall will not take place this year because it requires over a thousand people in a small area which is not advisable during the current pandemic. The Swedish Royal Family always attends in all their royal jewels to celebrate the laureates.

The Nobel Foundation said in a press release this week: ?The Nobel Foundation?s Board of Directors has decided that the traditional Nobel Banquet at the Stockholm City Hall will not take place this year. Both the Nobel Banquet and the reception hosted by the Nobel Foundation and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences at the Nordic Museum on the day before bring together over a thousand people in a limited indoor space. So it is unreasonable to hold these events in 2020.?

Blue Clover

It was the right decision. It would have been horrible if someone got sick.

Macrobug67

Without a doubt, this needed to be cancelled.  It can still be held - the ceremony at least - but on line.  Videos of the winners.  Actually, if they got creative, it could be much more interesting for the rest of us.  They could make videos of each winners works, explain in more detail what they are doing etc.  It would be more interesting and promoting the winners than the banquet.  Quite frankly, I find the banquet to be a promotion and discussion more of the fashion than the winners.

PrincessOfPeace

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is elegant in a floral dress as she joins husband Prince Daniel to meet staff from Stockholms hospitality sector amid the coronavirus pandemic

Princess Victoria of Sweden elegant as she joins husband Prince Daniel at Stockholm hotel | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

I have to say that this is one of my recent favorites for CP Victoria.

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen, the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel gave audiences to representatives from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB)

Drottningen och Kronprinsessparet fick information om l?get i Libanon - Sveriges Kungahus

https://editorial01.shutterstock.com/wm-preview-1500/10763485b/f3105b9c/crown-princess-victoria-and-prince-daniel-briefing-stockholm-castle-stockholm-sweden-shutterstock-editorial-10763485b.jpg

Prince Carl Philip handed out the scholarships from "Den t?nkande handen" (The Thinking Hand) drawing competition at the Royal Palace

Prins Carl Philip delade ut stipendier till unga tecknare - Sveriges Kungahus

PrincessOfPeace

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden attend a church service at Stockholm Cathedral in connection with the opening of the Swedish Parliament on September 8, 2020 in Stockholm, Sweden

Pictures and Photos - Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on September 08, 2020, 02:06:14 PM
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden attend a church service at Stockholm Cathedral in connection with the opening of the Swedish Parliament on September 8, 2020 in Stockholm, Sweden

Pictures and Photos - Getty Images
The exterior vestment of the minister has a lot of detail on some of the borders. I have not seen such a stylish vestment like this before.

PrincessOfPeace

Victoria and Daniel had a meeting today with Mikael Brannvall, ceo of The Swedish Performing Arts Association and Mika Romanus, director of The Swedish Union for Performing Arts and Film.

Crown Princess Victoria Pictures and Photos - Getty Images

PrincessOfPeace