Duke of What????

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, December 02, 2016, 02:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

So had a question probably @TLLK  or @LouisFerdinand  might know. If Harry marries before Charles and/or Andrew die, what title does he get/be called by? As it seems the princes and princess that are married tend to go nowadays by Duke/Earl titles.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Harry will get a Royal Dukedom when he marries, just as William did. The rumour for years is that he will become the Duke of Sussex. The only Earl among the Queen's children is Edward, who, after Prince Philip and the Queen dies, will become Duke of Edinburgh, inheriting the title from his father.

Trudie

Harry could also get the Dukedom of Clarence and Avondale the title of Edward VII first son Prince Eddy.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I'm assuming Edward is the only Earl because hes the youngest?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Trudie

^ No Edward is only an Earl at present because upon the death of his father The Queen wants him to have the title Duke of Edinburgh that was announced at the time of his marriage.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Harry may be given the title of Duke of Sussex. He would be Prince Henry, The Duke of Sussex. He might be referred to as Prince Henry (Harry). He might be referred to as The Duke of Sussex.

Izabella

He shall be known henceforth as the Duke of What.  :lol: Count of Excess.  :lol:

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 02, 2016, 02:57:14 AM
So had a question probably @TLLK  or @LouisFerdinand  might know. If Harry marries before Charles and/or Andrew die, what title does he get/be called by? As it seems the princes and princess that are married tend to go nowadays by Duke/Earl titles.
@Trudie and @Curryong have given excellent answers to your question. I'm leaning toward Duke of Sussex though Clarence and Avondale could be in the running as well. Likely it will be bestowed upon his wedding day much like it was for his grandfather and uncles or should he not marry perhaps in the next decade.

SophieChloe

Goodness, just goes to show how ridiculous these made up titles really are. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

LouisFerdinand

Could Prince Harry be given the title of Earl of Clare?

Curryong

No. I believe Clare is in the Irish republic and even if it isn't it has no Royal provenance. Harry will get a Royal dukedom like his brother, probably Sussex.

Curryong

Sussex seems to be the common consensus for Harry's dukedom, probably based on the fact that there few dukedoms available with any Royal provenance at all.

A couple of others are Windsor and Clarence. Windsor will never be considered for obvious reasons, and Clarence has a rather sad and sordid history. Richard III's brother, George Duke of Clarence turned rebel against his older brother King Edward IV and ended up in the Tower, in a barrel of wine, according to legend. Very edifying!

William IV, who was given the Dukedom by his father George III, was a bit of a buffoon with a string of illegitimate children, while Albert Victor (Prince 'Eddy') was dim and/or deaf, had a propensity for falling in love frequently and died young of complications from influenza.

Given the alternatives, I think Harry receiving the title of Duke of Sussex is on the cards, even if 'Gussie', the tenth child of George III, wasnt exactly a shining example of British royalty. Augustus had several illegitimate children and married twice in contravention of the Royal Marriage Act.

TLLK

I'm hoping for Sussex when the time comes.

TLLK

Should Harry marry Meghan Markle and he doesn't become a royal duke (unlikely) then she'd be known as HRH Princess Henry much like Prince Michael of Kent's wife.

If Harry marries Meghan and becomes a royal duke (very likely) then she'd be known as HRH the Duchess of ________. This is what she'll be referred to in official BRF communications and the Court Circular.

However I'm going to predict that the tabloids will still refer to her as Meghan Markle and that People magazine will call her Princess Meghan.  :D

Lady Deb

^^ Yes agree, that and Princess or Duchess Meg.  :)

LouisFerdinand

Could Prince Henry be given the title of Duke of Stafford?

Curryong

As the Dukes of Sutherland have Marquess of Stafford as one of their subsidiary titles Harry wouldn't become Duke of Stafford. An ancestor of the present Duke was given the Marquessate at the beginning of the 18th century, I think. It has no Royal provenance anyway.

amabel

Quote from: SophieChloe on January 12, 2017, 01:00:33 AM
Goodness, just goes to show how ridiculous these made up titles really are. 
What's ridiculous about them?  In what sense?  now if someone's called Bottoms, I think it si rather ridiculous but I can't see what's ridiculous about any of the royal titles

SophieChloe

Quote from: amabel on April 08, 2017, 01:49:22 PM

now if someone's called Bottoms,
I would find that just as silly  :hehe:

@amabel - I say that because these are made up titles.  Just that....made up.  Duke / Duchess / Prince / Princess /
Countess / Lady.  They are just given titles for the sake of it.  To continue to fool the public they are above us.  They are not.  IMO it is a massive con. 

And now people are discussing what title Harry (Henry) might be given.  To boot, Charles may become King George if he gets there.  What?  His name is Charles....

Not to mention the "Royal Highness" nonsense.  They are no more "Royal" nor "High" than the rest of us.

We come into this world with nothing and we leave with nothing.....

amabel

well yes of course people discuss titles because they are part of royal life, so if you're interested in Royal life, the titles are of interest to you.
Of course titles are "made up".   So are Mr and Mrs nad Ms
And yes they are "royal" because they are.. it is simply a social distinction, it doesn't mean they are better peolpe but they hold a social position.
as for Charles as you know George is one of his Christian names and he's perfectly entitled,if he wishes to use that name when he becomes king.. Just as I'm perfectly entitled to use another of MY crhistian names if I want to, or change my surname

SophieChloe

What makes a "Royal"?  Born from the right whoowhoo?  Or from a line of  thieves?   Same thing I suppose.  Again, as I said "IMO it is a massive con"

Now with regards to "Mr & Mrs" that is a legal status.  Royal titles are just fiddling to cover the UK  - Made Up to fool the public that they are above us. 

My middle name is Christine - if I decided to call myself that after donkey years I would expect to be laughed at.  When he has been know as Charles since his birth. 

Is Charlie trying to put his past to bed?  I wonder. 

Tiddles88

^ well, Charles I was beheaded, so our Charlie probably don't want to give us peasants any ideas...

SophieChloe

^ I never thought of that.  Hmmm. 

amabel

YOu think that royal titles aren't legal?