36 years ago the mother of all photoshoots

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, September 18, 2016, 04:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

So 36 years ago the famous photoshoot at the Young England Kindergarten was taken on Sept 17th, 1980. While it was best known in the press for the shots with her legs showing with the sun behind her, for me, it was such a rich trove of some of the best shots of her, at her sweetest and most lovely. :crazylove:

This one has a lot going on, if youve ever seen the Russel Brand meme about Diana representing different archetypes we have of women during her life, she has three in one here.
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981247.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket

She has the demure head down giving us the virginal, the legs showing, the sexual(he uses a harsher word), and the children, the mother archetypes. Maybe thats why this pic had such wide appeal when it was in papers everywhere back then.

My all time fav pic of her,ever: :cloud9:
http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/NEWS/dianadeath/gd3.jpg

I find the size difference in the two of them an interesting pic:
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981143.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket

Would be a great statue:
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981176.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket

So motherly:
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981242.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket

Heres some assorted pics from the shoot:

http://www.morganodriscoll.com/hqart2/214-59_2.jpg
https://duchesseorange.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/d25.jpg
http://i.skyrock.net/8537/69708537/pics/3160523710_1_12_KDCAExjr.jpg
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981264.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket
LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981272.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket
http://s283.photobucket.com/user/dawngallick/media/Lady%20Diana%20Spencer/LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981101.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Theres lots more pics from the shoot, while shes taken thousands of great pictures over the years, theres so many from this shoot are just fantastic, one day of an extraordinary life captured for posterity, thank you for the memories, sweet Diana.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Its that time again, now 37 years ago, Young England photoshoot, so many lovely pictures, not the very first picture, but in many ways, the start of it all. I find these and the Testino shoot make lovely bookends on those years.

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/NEWS/dianadeath/gd3.jpg
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

As you know Duch_ I am a real fan of Diana in her early years, all round faced and rosy and lovely. I so wish Charles hadnt pinched her waist. Yes, she was very glamorous in her thirties and some photos of her then were spectacular, including Testino's, but I have a special soft spot for the very young Diana, the hopeful Diana.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Much agreement @Curryong I'd take hopeful, cute, cozy and cuddly Diana over all that razzle-dazzle, gym honed glamor anyday. I think a lot of us who recognized her special qualities back then would as well. Before all those dashed hopes and heartache.

Aside from it producing many of my favorite photos of her, it was a significant shoot in her story, and should be remembered.

Duch_Luver_4ever

unfortunately, the links dont work, a shame cause dawngillick has an amazing collection of Diana pics on photobucket.

TLLK

Incredible to look back on the photos taken that day and realize that was Diana not long before her engagement to Prince Charles was announced.

Actually one of my favorite photos of Diana is the one in your avatar @Duch_Luver_4ever . IMO those years were when she was at her prettiest.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yes,  a little over 5 months from the engagement, she was just Diana, sweet lovely girl that made you care about her. Ah the avatar picture, out watching Charles at polo, some lovely pictures of her that day and theres just something about her and that color that go together so well.

Believe she also wore it at Ascot as well.

TLLK

^^^This is also my favorite hair color on Diana and the best version of her famous hairstyle that sent thousands of women of all ages running to salons with photos in hand.

Duch_Luver_4ever

me too, I didnt like the blonde as much (or the reason she did it) this is more natural looking, as for the style, idk if it was cause it was the "first" version of it or its novelty at the time, I like to think that it was just so well suited to her. Im sure a scientist could say things like facial angles, etc. but I just think of it as "her" hair style, and that it was only natural that her hair would look like that.

TLLK

Yes I loved the original style, but I doubt that Diana would have wanted to be stuck in a style rut and to be instantly known by it. Princess Beatrix and the late Queen Fabiola are two ladies that come to mind because you can always distinguish them by their iconic "dos."

Duch_Luver_4ever

very true, she was very involved in fashion, I did like that for example the pics in Angola, she got very close to her old style (or as close as she could come). I think in general, that women view hair as part of their look like their clothes, changeable with the style changes, but guys tend to view it more permanently.

Although one change I did like was what I call her "pixie" cut like she wore at the dress auction, new, modern & cute but also suiting her remake as a sophisticated woman as well.

Curryong

I loved Diana's hairstyles, or most of them! She was in the 'shy Di' stage when that first style became known wasn't she, almost a helmet of soft golden brown hair and the fringe, under which she looked out under lowered eyelashes? I quite liked the very short look in her later years, but that 'stiff with hairspray' very blonde big round ball of hair that was very 'in' during the late eighties, early nineties, not so much. When she was at her thinnest her hair seemed to dominate, no mean feat as Diana was a very tall lady!

Duch_Luver_4ever

You describe her early style very well, I also agree that "mom hair" as I call it, around the time of the settlen tapes/early 90s was to me at least, my least fav style. It seemed to age her, and it minimized the part, which I think suited her hair very well (and on the left only, I detest it when the books and such screw up and flip the negative and they put her part on the right, just doesnt look "correct" to me).

It is a touch sad to look at those early to mid 80s pics with her so thin and the bigger hair accentuating it. While she didnt wear it long, I did like the long hair with combs in 84 but just as a novelty every so often. Many nice styles, but to me nothing beats the 1980 original.