Which In-law?

Started by LouisFerdinand, June 14, 2016, 11:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Which in-law did Princess Diana get along better with: her mother-in-law Queen Elizabeth II or her father-in-law Prince Philip?

Duch_Luver_4ever

Id have to say Phillip for the most part, although he did write some harmful  stuff about asking if she was to blame for C&C, but I think it was easier as father in law, usually mother in laws and wives get along worse than father in laws ,and the queen was the actual soverign with PP as consort, in a sense they both had the same job, consort to a current or future sovereign.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

BonnyHoneyBunny

I don't think she was closer to either of them or that either of them showed more kindness or understanding towards Diana. The Queen and DoE are a strong team and unit and just saw Diana as a necessary element moving forward. I don't think there was much interest in getting along with her.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: neither were very "warm and fuzzy" towards her, she was brought on board mostly for her excellent genes and her lack of a past. Philip did write some letters that showed some support whereas the queens first letter to Diana was to demand that her and Charles get divorced. But for sure neither of them were great examples of emotional support.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

I agree that she and Phillip might have had a closer relationship. Her mother-in-law was after all the Queen, but Phillip is IMO the head of the family. I believe that Sarah and Elisabeth had a closer relationship. They had a similar interest in horses after all which Diana did not share with Elisabeth.

Phillip had a similar childhood to Diana's without a mother. He'd also been the one to marry into the Windsor family and had to adjust to a vastly different way of life than the one he'd been brought up in.

amabel

I don't think he was unduly sympathetic to Diana, at least not once he felt she was disloyal and disresepctufl to the queen.