Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands

Started by snokitty, February 06, 2015, 08:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands | Unofficial Royalty
Queen Wilhelmina holds the record for the longest reigning Dutch monarch, 58 years. Her reign spanned World War I, the Great Depression, and World War II. Queen Wilhelmina's father, King Willem III, was the third monarch of the Netherlands, and had married his cousin Sophie of Württemberg in 1839. The couple had three sons, Willem (1840–1879), Maurits, (1843–1850), and Alexander (1851–1884), all of whom predeceased their father without any legitimate children. Queen Sophie had died in 1877 and Willem was eager to remarry. After considering some other princesses, the 62 year old Willem married Princess Emma of Waldeck and Pyrmont who was 21 years old. 19 months later, Willem and Emma's only child Wilhelmina was born on August 31, 1880 at Noordeinde Palace in The Hague, Netherlands. At the time of her birth, Wilhelmina was third in the line of succession after her half brother Alexander and her great uncle Prince Frederick of the Netherlands. By the time Wilhelmina was four, both men had died and Wilhelmina was the heir presumptive.

Wilhelmina was named for:
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

Queen Wilhelmina's Inauguration   
Inauguration Queen Wilhelmina 1898 - YouTube         
:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

LouisFerdinand

Queen Wilhelmina harbored harsh feelings against the British because of the Boer War. She sympathized with the Dutch farmers.

LouisFerdinand

Queen Wilhelmina gave a gift of 36 horses to King George VI of Great Britain.     
Queen Wilhelmina's Gift To The King (1946) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Was Prince Hendrik chosen as Wilhelmina's husband because the choice of the future husband of Wilhelmina would not interfere with the policy of strict neutrality of the Dutch government?

TLLK

^^^He was also a Protestant  which was appealing to the majority of the Netherlands. Unfortunately their marriage was marred by his numerous affairs and illegitimate offspring. Wilhelmina paid a stipend to his three mistresses throughout their marriage. 

Curryong

It seems to me, much as I love W-A and Maxie, that as the Netherlands royal family went to Germany for their consorts for generations, I don't think neutrality was particularly on their minds. This was especially so when Europe was virtually an armed camp leading up to World War One, and between the wars when Hitler was in power. It also made them a very 'German' royal family as far as bloodlines go. Anyway W-A broke the mould with Maxima, a Roman Catholic Argentinian, with no hint of Royal or aristo lineage, and good on him.

LouisFerdinand

When Hendrik (Heinrich) married Wilhelmina, was there a possibility that the Dutch Royal House could have a new name: The House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin?

LouisFerdinand

Queen Wilhelmina was quite good at painting. Her favorite subject to paint were landscapes. She especially liked the fjords of Norway and the scenery of Scotland.

LouisFerdinand

In the inter-war years, Queen Wilhelmina played a major role in government and the country went through a large reclamation projects and massive industrialization.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand