Queen Elizabeth's 63 years old wedding cake sold

Started by marine2109, September 12, 2013, 01:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

The cake maybe 70 years old, but whoever buys it is buying a piece of history. It's fine, if the person doesn't mind seeing the moldy crumbs. I personally would prefer to buy a card or maybe a magazine about the wedding.

Piece of cake! Slice of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Wedding Cake up for Auction

Fancy a slice of almost 70-year-old cake? You're in luck: a slice of The Queen's wedding cake is up for auction.

Ahead of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Platinum wedding anniversary this fall, a piece of their wedding cake will be auctioned by Hansons Auctioneers in Etwall.

The cake is inside a small box adorned with wedding bells and is inscribed with the note, "Presented to Mr C. Dickman by Princess Elizabeth, Nov 20th 1947".

Read more:
Piece of cake! Slice of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Wedding Cake up for Auction – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

It's amazing how many slices of very rich fruit cake from famous British weddings, especially Royal ones, there are still around. I don't know about the marzipan and white icing part of these cakes but fruit cake does have amazing staying power. Having said that, if photographs of the royal family of the time came on the market I think I would prefer to buy those.

Curryong

I do enjoy a slice of nice rich fruit cake, though not necessarily that old! It must be an English thing. Most non-Britishers don't appreciate it!  :P

Of course, this particular wedding cake was made at a time of severe rationing in Britain. People and firms from all over the Empire sent dried fruit, sugar etc for the cake, as they had sent parcels of such produce for British people during the war. I believe Princess Elizabeth got many pairs of nylon stockings as wedding gifts from all over the place too, including the US.

Jennifer

Thanks for posting the videos that shows how the original wedding cake looks then and now, LouisFerdinand. Now I know what cake from 70 years ago looks like. I have to admit that I would be afraid to touch it. As Curryong said, buying original pictures from the wedding would be a more suitable option.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston