The Tudors 1485-1603 Henry VII -Elizabeth I

Started by cinrit, November 17, 2011, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

According to IMDB, Glenda Jackson plays Mary's cousin:

Mary, Queen of Scots (1971) - IMDb

I never seen the 1971 version before, but I have heard about it. The movie has a lot of good reviews, so I think it is worth watching. I hope it is available online to watch.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

royalanthropologist

Glenda Jackson was magnificent in that. I have not seen a better Elizabeth I. Everything was just fascinating from the voice, dress and mannerisms. You almost felt as if she were not acting. The most surprising thing is that Glenda Jackson is a left-leaning Labor MP :eyes: but she sure does know how to play her haughty Tudor tyrants.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

LouisFerdinand

Was the court musician Mark Smearton a lover of Queen Anne Boleyn?   

:romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo:

sandy

Decidedly not. He was tortured and forced to"confess" . He was a court musician.  Historians believe Anne was executed on trumped up charges so HEnry could be rid of her and marry Jane Seymour

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 01, 2016, 10:21:42 PM
A huge crowd gathered when Anne Boleyn rode through the streets of London on the way to her coronation on June 1, 1533. The crowd had been ordered to cheer. Instead they yelled that Nan Bullen should not be their Queen.
DId they?

LouisFerdinand

Queen Elizabeth I told the English Parliament, "We princes are set as it were upon stages in the sight and view of the world."

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Members of Parliament protested violently against the Spanish Marriage. But the day Thomas Wyatt died, they gave in. The Royal Marriage Bill became law. Parliament told Mary I that Philip II would be welcome in England.

royalanthropologist

Like all Tudors, Mary had both intelligence and courage. She also believed in her divine right to rule. Those two elements pretty much defined how the Tudors would be as Kings or Queens. None of them ever tolerated dissent or any interference in the exercise of their royal power. Mary's tragedies were mainly personal...too devout, too trusting and too loving of an unloving husband. Phillip of Spain ruined her and her kingdom. Catholicism also drove her to a level of fanaticism which appalled her people.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

LouisFerdinand

In 1527 King Henry VIII wrote to Anne Boleyn: I and my heart put ourselves in your hands, begging you to have them suitors for your favour, and that your affection for them should not grow less through absence.     

:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

LouisFerdinand

In 1563 Queen Elizabeth I suggested Robert Dudley might marry her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots. Robert refused to marry Mary. He preferred to stay in England, close to Elizabeth.

LouisFerdinand

In 1535 King Henry VIII and his second wife Queen Anne Boleyn stayed at Thornbury Castle.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

If Queen Elizabeth I named Catherine or Mary Grey as heir, there would be Protestants who supported Henry Hastings.

Curryong

I don't think Elizabeth would have harked back to the tumult of the Nine Days Queen by naming any of the Grey family as her heir. I don't believe she officially named her second cousin James because she was an imperious and very stubborn woman who disliked contemplating her own mortality. However, James was a Protestant and I think everyone at Court took it as read that he was Elizabeth's successor, in spite of considerable reservations. (An heir from the old enemy Scotland.) If it wasn't seen as inevitable then there would have been rebellions once James took the English throne and there weren't.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on September 16, 2018, 02:47:41 AM
I don't think Elizabeth would have harked back to the tumult of the Nine Days Queen by naming any of the Grey family as her heir. I don't believe she officially named her second cousin James because she was an imperious and very stubborn woman who disliked contemplating her own mortality. However, James was a Protestant and I think everyone at Court took it as read that he was Elizabeth's successor, in spite of considerable reservations. (An heir from the old enemy Scotland.) If it wasn't seen as inevitable then there would have been rebellions once James took the English throne and there weren't.
Elizabeth said "I will be queen of England while I live, and then it will be whoever has the best right" and James I had the best right. She didn't want to name her successor because she feared that it might arouse opposition from those who disagreed or that people as she grew older,might plot ot put the next heir on the throne..

LouisFerdinand

If Queen Elizabeth I named Mary, Queen of Scots, as heir, there would be Catholics who supported Lady Margaret Douglas.

Curryong

Well, they might, but Elizabeth didn't do that thing, Mary was executed by her order in 1587 and Mary's son James ultimately came to the English throne.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Queen Elizabeth I told the English Parliament, "We princes are set as it were upon stages in the sight and view of the world."

LouisFerdinand

Elizabeth I's succession was met favorably and was announced swiftly. Less than half an hour after the official announcement of Mary I's demise on November 17, 1558, Parliament had confirmed Elizabeth as Mary's successor. On November 19, heralds proclaimed the Queen at the gates of Hatfield.   

:PR: :PR: :PR: :PR: :PR:

LouisFerdinand

In some of his love letters to Anne Boleyn, King Henry VIII referred to himself as Anne's servant. When she responded that she should actually be considered Henry's servant, this delighted Henry.       

:yesss: :yesss: :yesss: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

LouisFerdinand

On attaining the throne, Queen Elizabeth I dismissed many of the older Catholic ladies-in-waiting of the Court of Queen Mary I. Elizabeth I replaced them with family and friends closer to her own age. There was Anne Morgan (wife of Henry Carey, Lord Hunsdon), Anne Poyntz (wife of Sir Thomas Heneage), Lettice Knollys, and Elizabeth Fitzgerald.

LouisFerdinand

In 1563 Queen Elizabeth I suggested that Robert Dudley might marry her cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots. At that time, Mary was a possible heiress to Elizabeth. Robert Dudley could have become King of England if he married Mary. He refused to marry Mary.